[OT] Must...avoid...distractions

Old July 1st 05, 08:22 AM
Yoj

Default [OT] Must...avoid...distractions

**Don't believe everything you think**
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Well, *that* mantra failed miserably...

Senyah frequently asks me to look for books for her at the library. So
today, I connected to the library's web site, and logged into my
account (just to see what the length of the Harry Potter queue is -
140 so far, and I'm number 58). But I noticed I had an overdue book
block dating from the end of December. A whole fifty cents fine, but
still appalling - I NEVER turn books in late. So I went up, griped a
little, and paid the fine.

Of course, I looked for Senyah's book. Found it! As I'm walking to the
checkout counter, I just *have* to stop at the New Books and the
McNaughton Books shelves. I quickly scanned the shelves and *still*
found two books for me (sigh).

Well, as long as I'm out, I need to see if there are any good
introductory books on VOIP (Voice Over IP) at Barnes & Noble. Didn't
see any, but I ended up giving a good home to three magazines.

So I went on down to Fry's ("Oooh shiny!), since they sometimes have a
selection of deeper technology. Didn't find anything on VOIP that *I*
could use, but picked up a nice tome on Programming the Palm OS.

So. My brain is obviously telling me to take an occasional
recreational reading time, away from the perpetual job hunt.

I'm already a quarter through one library book, and have switched over
to look through the first chapter of the Palm OS book. The magazines
will get looked at near bedtime...

I once asked the manager at Barnes & Noble if I could just sign over
my paycheck, and take what I wanted. He wisely refused, on the grounds
that they would lose a lot of money on the deal (big grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

I try to stay out of bookstores for the same reason. I'm currently
rereading my approximately 1,000 books, but I used to frequent the library.
And frequent is definitely the operative word. I'd pick up 10 or 15 books
and a week or 10 days later I'd take them back and get another batch.
That's definitely cheaper than bookstores. ;-)

Joy

Old July 1st 05, 09:02 AM
jmcquown

Yoj wrote:
**Don't believe everything you think**
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Well, *that* mantra failed miserably...

Senyah frequently asks me to look for books for her at the library.

I try to stay out of bookstores for the same reason. I'm currently
rereading my approximately 1,000 books, but I used to frequent the
library. And frequent is definitely the operative word. I'd pick up
10 or 15 books and a week or 10 days later I'd take them back and get
another batch. That's definitely cheaper than bookstores. ;-)

Joy

I *wish* there was a library near me! I'm like you, currently re-reading
from my stacks of books. I read about 3 books a week. I read one book just
waiting for my doctor's appointment on Tuesday LOL

Jill

[OT] Christmas Carols Yowie Cat anecdotes 8 December 18th 04 05:51 AM
[OT] Inspirational Lyrics CatNipped Cat anecdotes 16 December 15th 04 01:47 PM
[OT] Admiral Rickover's Retirement :) Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 2 December 14th 04 01:23 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 December 13th 04 12:25 AM
[OT] Bubbels - New High Score CatNipped Cat anecdotes 8 December 10th 04 04:00 PM