Purr request - Update

Old June 15th 05, 01:39 PM
Shirley

Default Purr request - Update

Thanks to all who sent purrs etc.

My ankle is healing well and it doesn't hurt to stand/walk now, it has
gone through some interesting colour changes over the last few days.

The eye op went without a hitch and nurse Smudge is making sure the
morning and night-time medications (eye drops) are done correctly,
while nurse Polly supervises the day-time ones (picture me laying down
with a mirror in one hand, dropper bottle in the other, and a cat
sitting on my chest with her head obscuring my view of the mirror).

For those not of a squeamish nature there are some before and after
pics of my eye at the link below. :-)
--
Shirley
http://community.webshots.com/user/shirleycatuk

Old June 15th 05, 02:24 PM
Adrian

Shirley wrote:
Thanks to all who sent purrs etc.

My ankle is healing well and it doesn't hurt to stand/walk now, it has
gone through some interesting colour changes over the last few days.

The eye op went without a hitch and nurse Smudge is making sure the
morning and night-time medications (eye drops) are done correctly,
while nurse Polly supervises the day-time ones (picture me laying down
with a mirror in one hand, dropper bottle in the other, and a cat
sitting on my chest with her head obscuring my view of the mirror).

For those not of a squeamish nature there are some before and after
pics of my eye at the link below. :-)

I'm glad the op went well and Smudge is being a good nurse.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old June 15th 05, 03:15 PM
Christina Websell

"Shirley" wrote in message
Thanks to all who sent purrs etc.

My ankle is healing well and it doesn't hurt to stand/walk now, it has
gone through some interesting colour changes over the last few days.

The eye op went without a hitch and nurse Smudge is making sure the
morning and night-time medications (eye drops) are done correctly, while
nurse Polly supervises the day-time ones (picture me laying down with a
mirror in one hand, dropper bottle in the other, and a cat sitting on my
chest with her head obscuring my view of the mirror).

For those not of a squeamish nature there are some before and after pics
of my eye at the link below. :-)
--
Shirley
http://community.webshots.com/user/shirleycatuk

Let me try and say something this time blush

I must have missed this purr request (2023 messages still refuse to
download) so here are some belated ones for a full recovery. It certainly
looks good.
As a bit of a veteran of eye ops myself (4 since 2001) I got a tip from a
nurse about applying the eye drops without a mirror.
This only works with the type of dropper bottles that have a sort of indent
thingie at the neck, but most of them do.
Ok try this Shirley
1 - unscrew bottle - goes without saying g
2 - Tip head back
3 - Place dropper bottle horizontally with the neck indentation fitting
onto the bridge of your nose with the nozzle directly above the eye to be
treated.
4 - Squeeze.

You may have to practise a couple of times to get the nozzle in the right
position, but it beats lying down and trying to mess around with a mirror,
especially if the cats are trying to help!
Worked for me, anyway. Hope this helps.

Tweed

Old June 15th 05, 04:17 PM
Shirley

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Shirley" wrote in message
[...]

Ack! the cats are rolling on the floor laughing at me. Me thinks
you're ambidextrous or a contortionist. :-)

How about you come over and hold the cats while I put the drops in ?

How's your recovery progressing?

--
Shirley untangling her arms and wiping her face

Old June 15th 05, 04:29 PM
Christina Websell

"Shirley" wrote in message
[...]

No, it really works.

How about you come over and hold the cats while I put the drops in ?

How about you go into your bedroom and shut the cats out when you're doing
it? It is really important that you get these drops in. Eyes are pretty
unforgiving and you have to get it right. Once your sight is gone. it's
gone.

How's your recovery progressing?

I hoped it would be quicker, but then I always think other's illnesses don't
apply to me. Most of us do.

--
Shirley untangling her arms and wiping her face

I want to hear very very soon that those drops are hitting the spot. You
need to worry if not. Kitty FC says she will get you otherwise. Not an
idle threat either.

Tweed

Old June 15th 05, 04:37 PM
Irulan

Glad everything went ok with the ankle and especially the eye.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old June 15th 05, 04:51 PM
Shirley

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Shirley" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Shirley" wrote in message
[...]

Did you try putting drops in your right eye with your right hand ?

;-)

How about you come over and hold the cats while I put the drops in
?

How about you go into your bedroom and shut the cats out when you're
doing it? It is really important that you get these drops in. Eyes
are pretty unforgiving and you have to get it right. Once your
sight is gone. it's gone.

The important (central vision) was gone a long time ago. I am getting
the drops in , 4 times a day as per instructions. As a veteran of eye
surgery, how long before the disolving stitches disolve, I've got one
that's irritating my eyelid (feels like an eyelash stuck in there) ?

How's your recovery progressing?

I hoped it would be quicker, but then I always think other's
illnesses don't apply to me. Most of us do.

Now that's a non answer if ever I heard one :-) If you'd rather not
say I do understand though.

As my grand-mother used to say "slowly but surely is best". ;-)

--
Shirley untangling her arms and wiping her face

I want to hear very very soon that those drops are hitting the spot.
You need to worry if not. Kitty FC says she will get you otherwise.
Not an idle threat either.

Hah, she'd have to get past PB, he protects me from all kitty
strangers (and resident kitties if he's in the mood).

Old June 15th 05, 04:59 PM
lewe

"Shirley" wrote in message
Thanks to all who sent purrs etc.

My ankle is healing well and it doesn't hurt to stand/walk now, it has
gone through some interesting colour changes over the last few days.

The eye op went without a hitch and nurse Smudge is making sure the
morning and night-time medications (eye drops) are done correctly, while
nurse Polly supervises the day-time ones (picture me laying down with a
mirror in one hand, dropper bottle in the other, and a cat sitting on my
chest with her head obscuring my view of the mirror).

For those not of a squeamish nature there are some before and after pics
of my eye at the link below. :-)

sounds like good news, good to hear Shirley!
more purrs from Thea & Bono for continued recovery!

I don't know if you have some special kind of eye drops that need special
handling but otherwise I'd say lying down is about the most difficult
position for administering eydedrops. I take chortison drops more or less
daily since 20 years and I normally stand or sit on the bed, touch the lower
eyelid pulling it down/out ever so slightly, steady the hand with the bottle
by holding it against my face, not to accidentally push the bottle in the
eye, and let the drops fall into the little pocket in the lower eyelid..
Maybe you have special considerations because of your op? I only had
chataract surgery (lense clouding from the drops I have to take ...) and I
only had to take my normal drops against inflammation for that.

Best
Lena

--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cats' pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old June 15th 05, 05:22 PM
Christina Websell

"Shirley" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Shirley" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Shirley" wrote in message
[...]

No. You can't do it like this. You fit the dropper bottle over the bridge
of your nose and squeeze it with your left hand if it needs to be put in the
right eye.

How about you come over and hold the cats while I put the drops in ?

How about you go into your bedroom and shut the cats out when you're
doing it? It is really important that you get these drops in. Eyes are
pretty unforgiving and you have to get it right. Once your sight is
gone. it's gone.

The important (central vision) was gone a long time ago. I am getting the
drops in , 4 times a day as per instructions. As a veteran of eye surgery,
how long before the disolving stitches disolve, I've got one that's
irritating my eyelid (feels like an eyelash stuck in there) ?

It can be some weeks until dissolving stitches work their way out sometimes
at inconvenient times. I had what felt like a drawing pin sticking in my
eye one day shopping at Tesco. It hurt a lot. My late mother who was with
me at the time, reassured me it was just one of the eye stitches working
it's way out, and so it was.

How's your recovery progressing?

I hoped it would be quicker, but then I always think other's illnesses
don't apply to me. Most of us do.

Now that's a non answer if ever I heard one :-) If you'd rather not say I
do understand though.

It's not that I don't want to say. It's just that I have so much to do, so
many creatures to care for that I can't afford to be ill, so it annoys me.
Caring for animals that need it has been my life. My recent health problems
have made me realise that I'll have to scale things down. I have hit health
probs 20- 30 years early.
Dammit.

As my grand-mother used to say "slowly but surely is best". ;-)

I love grandmother's sayings. I propose we start a thread about it.
My grandmother, on discovering me washing my legs with tights on in the
bathroom sink, after I took the dog out in the rain and she splashing me up
the legs with mud.. myself aged about 15..
"You'll see where you'll be when you're 40, crippled up with rheumatism, you
mark my words."

LOL. I just love any grandmother's sayings similar to this. They were so
wise.

Tweed
P.S.
I guess this meant my grandmother cared about me ;-)