Kittens and snow

Old October 27th 05, 04:34 AM
Marina

Default Kittens and snow

This morning when I went to open the door to the enclosure, I saw a thin
layer of white out there. Ooh, it snowed during the night! So I stayed
to observe what the kittens would do. This is their first encounter with
snow.

Miranda had been waiting impatiently at the door, and she rushed
outside. The enclosure is partially covered by the upstairs balcony, so
the snow doesn't start until a few steps outside the door. She trotted
out confidently, then she reached the snow, put down her nose to it, and
leaped back. Then she started carefully approaching that strange cold
stuff again.

Now Caliban has noticed that Miranda is outside, and so he must be there
too. He comes hurtling through the door and runs straight out onto the
snow without looking where he's going. Suddenly he stops dead in his
tracks. The wheels slowly start turning in his little fuzzy head, then
he lifts one paw and shakes it. Then another, then, 'I gotta get outta
here!' and he rushes up one of the ramps.

Meanwhile, Miranda has hunched down and started *eating* the frozen
grass that's sticking up from under the snow. I went inside at that
point, and soon both kittens were inside too, zooming around the flat
and bouncing off the walls. Don't you just love cold-weather zoomies?

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old October 27th 05, 04:42 AM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:34:56 +0300, Marina
yodeled:

[...]

Sounds adorable! How does Frankie like it, or doesn't he partake?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old October 27th 05, 04:48 AM
PatM

Great mental picture!!hehe

Ever see chickens let out of their coop the morning of their first
snowfall?? Pretty funny too!! Think 'Chicken Little' and 'the sky is
falling!!!'.

Pat

Old October 27th 05, 05:28 AM
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:

Sounds adorable! How does Frankie like it, or doesn't he partake?

Frank's smart. He stayed inside in bed under a warm lamp. He's seen that
white stuff before and knows it's cold and wet and it's beneath a cat's
dignity to even walk on it.

Old October 27th 05, 06:31 AM
Shiral

Marina wrote:

Miranda had been waiting impatiently at the door, and she rushed
outside. The enclosure is partially covered by the upstairs balcony, so
the snow doesn't start until a few steps outside the door. She trotted
out confidently, then she reached the snow, put down her nose to it, and
leaped back. Then she started carefully approaching that strange cold
stuff again.

Now Caliban has noticed that Miranda is outside, and so he must be there
too. He comes hurtling through the door and runs straight out onto the
snow without looking where he's going. Suddenly he stops dead in his
tracks. The wheels slowly start turning in his little fuzzy head,

LOL!! I can see that SO clearly. =o) Poor Nina, she'll never have a
chance for that particular discovery unless I ever get a freak snow
fall in California.

then
he lifts one paw and shakes it. Then another, then, 'I gotta get outta
here!' and he rushes up one of the ramps.

Meanwhile, Miranda has hunched down and started *eating* the frozen
grass that's sticking up from under the snow. I went inside at that
point, and soon both kittens were inside too, zooming around the flat
and bouncing off the walls. Don't you just love cold-weather zoomies?

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

I love to watch, until it involves vigorous young cats galloping over
me in the dark. =o)

Melissa

Old October 27th 05, 11:54 AM
Adrian

Marina wrote:
[...]

Pictures? :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old October 27th 05, 01:40 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
snow without looking where he's going. Suddenly he stops dead in his
tracks. The wheels slowly start turning in his little fuzzy head, then
he lifts one paw and shakes it. Then another, then, 'I gotta get outta
here!' and he rushes up one of the ramps.

That's just what Issa did the last time we had an ice storm. Their
entire enclosure was covered in ice, but he had the zoomies and rushed
outside. A few seconds later, a very wide-eyed Issa zoomed back in with
a "WTF was that?!?!?!" look in his face.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 27th 05, 11:02 PM

I loved reading what was the kitties' reaction to the snow the first
time they saw it.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek