Claw Clipping Help

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 1st 16, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Claw Clipping Help

On 3/31/2016 1:43 PM, Mishi wrote:
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 6:47:06 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
When I first adopted Buffy in June, 2015, she was very agreeable about
my clipping her front claws and even the dew-claws. I was absolutely
amazed. I thought, "Good! she's had this done before. Whew!"

After a couple of times though, she decided she does NOT want me to do that.

I *know* not to clip down too far. Nothing I'm doing hurts her. It
just annoys her. Well guess what? Being scratched annoys me, too.

I've tried rolling her up in a towel like a kitty-burrito but she
manages to squirm out before I can get more than a couple or three nails
on one paw clipped.

I can't afford to take her to the vet just to have her nails clipped.
But she is ripping the heck out of me.

Of course she doesn't do it intentionally. The problem is sometimes
when I'm walking across the room she jumps out and grabs my leg, claws
fully deployed. It's like my leg is a tree. OUCH! STOP THAT!

I don't know how to get her to let me trim her claws again. Any
suggestions?

Jill

Hi Jill,

I use plain fingernail clippers - they are small enough to hide in my hand, and easy to use.

Patti

Thanks, Patti but there seems to be no way to "hide" the fact that I'm
about to clip her nails. She knows what's coming and scrambles away,
often scratching me in the process. sigh

Jill