Advice needed

Old June 14th 04, 04:33 PM
Yngver

(Tracy) wrote:

I''ve lived in Northern California for 18 of the past 19 years, and
one year on the South Side of Chicago when my husband was doing
research at the University of Chicago. If you've never lived on the
South Side, then you may not get that it's a neighborhood where people
get shot in the middle of the night and yep, I did come across a human
corpse one morning in a vacant lot not far from my home.

I used to work in that area. I will vouch for Tracy that what she is describing
is entirely possible.

In my urban neighorhood here (or in Chicago for that matter), I never
encountered a cat or a dog dead by the side of the road. Haven't seen
it. That said, I don't drive all that much - as I said, I don't live
in one of those sprawled out suburbs and I do expect it's more common
there.

In some seven years of commuting through that neighborhood I don't recall ever
seeing a dead cat or dog lying in the streets or around campus. However, in
some eight years of commuting from my own neighborhood in Chicago, I have seen
maybe three or four dead cats on city streets. But given the enormous
population of feral and stray cats in Chicago, it is possible that none of
those few cats that I saw were owned cats, and also given that huge number of
cats, it seems fairly obvious that the great majority of them are not getting
killed by cars.

And as I noted before, I can't recall seeing dead cats on the highways,
although I have seen many a dead dog. On city streets, I'd say the leading road
kill I see are squirrels, followed by the occasional possum.

In our neighborhood, even though it is near some fairly busy streets, most
people do let their cats roam, too, so it's not uncommon to see cats around.
I've never seen a dead cat in the street in the few blocks around our house,
however, yet I keep seeing the same cats for years, so they seem to be beating
the oft-quoted prediction that indoor/outdoor cats are only likely to live a
couple years.