Cat ****s on floor! Help!

Old June 17th 04, 09:02 PM
Mary

I forgot to add that I would place his box as far away from bed and food and
toys as the bathroom allows. But I bet you figured that out.

Old June 17th 04, 09:02 PM
Mary

Old June 17th 04, 09:02 PM
Mary

Old June 17th 04, 09:24 PM
Harley

"Dally" wrote in message
Male cat born 1/10/04 (so he's five months old now.) I got him about 6
weeks ago from a shelter. He had been an indoor cat and had lived with
his mother and siblings.

From the very first day he would go into one particular corner of our
downstairs powderroom and **** on the floor. With two exceptions, he
has **** on that same place every single day since.

He is our only cat. Our former cat (a female) never used that bathroom.
The construction is new. It's an inside corner. He was not
constipated when we first got him - on the contrary, his first few poops
on that floor were runny.

Here's what I've done to try to stop this.

I wiped everything down with the enzyme solution. (I do this every time.)

He had a litterbox upstairs, but I put added a litter box in that room.
It doesn't fit in the corner he prefers, but it's about three feet
away. He pees in it, but still goes to his favorite corner to ****.

I bought a little litter box and put it in that corner. He **** in it
once but then started ****ting in front of it.

Figuring it was too little, I squeezed the big litter box into that
corner (it really doesn't fit there) and the cat went in there once but
then the next day went behind the toilet to **** as close to that corner
(outside the box) as he could.

I blocked it with a waste basket. He ****s in front of the waste basket.

I got him neutered.

I locked him in a room upstairs (with food, water & a litter box while
he recovered from his neutering.) He whined piteously to come out.
When a kid gave in and opened the door he made a beeline downstairs to
**** in that corner. He didn't even use the litter box in his room
because we had taken out the clumping litter while he recovered from his
surgery and he won't use any other kind.

I clean all three litter boxes at least once a day, often times more
(following along behind him picking up his excrement where-ever it lands.)

We've tried three different kinds of kitty litter besides clay:
Yesterday's News, a cedar type and a wood pellet type. He will only use
the horrible toxic clumping clay kind. (I'm getting these fumes in my
pores from cleaning three boxes or more a day.) He'll use the other
kinds only if we cover them with the horrible toxic clumping kind.

He is the sort of indoors cat that makes a bee-line for the door
when-ever it's open, then stops just outside and makes us fetch him
back. (I hate that.) But thinking maybe he wanted to **** outside, we
let him outside for a supervised visit to the shrubs. No actual
****ting was observed, but he was out of sight and we assumed he did.
Later that day he found enough in him to manage a small **** in that
same corner.

I've got three small children and making our downstairs powder-room
inaccessible to a cat isn't very feasible. Frankly, I'd rather give up
the cat than the bathroom (which is new construction to the tune of
$20,000 and desired long before the cat was thought of.)

Can anyone tell me something else to try?

Would I be a horrible person for returning this cat to the shelter? I
run a business from my home and the constant waifing of cat **** from my
powder-room is making me sick.

Dally

Have you tried punishment such as pulling its tail or twisting its ears?

Old June 17th 04, 09:48 PM
RobZip

"Dally" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me something else to try?

Have you tried picking up the feces and placing it in the box? Roll it
around in the litter a bit to simulate burial. It's a desperation move to
get him to associate his feces with the litter box but who knows - it may
work.

Would I be a horrible person for returning this cat to the shelter? I
run a business from my home and the constant waifing of cat **** from my
powder-room is making me sick.

Like Sherry said, returning the cat to the shelter would probably be a death
sentence. As much as I love my cats, there are certain standards to be lived
by in this household for the welfare and enjoyment of everyone. If I had a
human guest who behaved as your cat does, they would be evicted. There are
some in this group who feel that once you take a cat in you've made a
commitment for life, whether it be bliss or pure hell. My own feeling is
that the commitment is a partnership arrangement. The expectation of using a
litter box is not unrealistic.

I'll probably catch hell from some for saying this but realistically, there
is no way I could *allow* an animal to ruin any part of my home or cause it
to be restricted in such a way that human occupants are deprived of normal
usage. While you are wrangling with getting your current cat to comply with
reasonable behavior, there is another cat at a shelter somewhere under a
death sentence that would work out just fine. It's a tough call to make.
Good luck....

Old June 18th 04, 01:34 AM
KellyH

"Harley" wrote in message

Have you tried punishment such as pulling its tail or twisting its ears?

I seriously hope you ignore this advice.

Here's my two cents:
First, is the shelter you got him from no-kill or a municipal type shelter
that would put him down? If it is no-kill, and you really don't feel up to
handling this type of behavior, then I would return him, explaining what the
problem is, and select another cat.* If it is a regular open admission
shelter, this is a death sentence for him. Please try to work with him on
this. You may want to try a Feliway diffuser in the bathroom he likes to
poop in. In fact, it might help to try them all over the house. Also, even
though you don't like the clay litter, if that's what he prefers, use it.
Are you using scented or unscented? From your description, it sounds like
scented, which most cats don't like. If you would like to switch to a more
environmentally friendly litter in the future, it is best to mix it in
gradually. Two others you might want to try are World's Best Cat Litter,
which is made from corn, and Swheat Scoop, a wheat litter. Both are closer
to the texture of clay clumping litter, so your cat may adapt to those more
readily. A lot of cats like to pee in one box and poop in another, so you
are probably stuck with two boxes. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

* I know I might catch hell for even suggesting that she return the cat to a
no-kill shelter. They are crowded too and if this cat comes back, that
usually means one has to wait to be admitted. However, speaking as a
shelter volunteer, I would want the cat back so a more experienced person in
cat behavior has him and is able to work with him on the problem, rather
than someone who may get frustrated and dump him at an open admission
shelter or outside.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net