Making old cat & young cat get along?

Old March 30th 04, 05:29 PM
Robotech_Master

Default Making old cat & young cat get along?

I have a fat, oldish, spayed female cat, whose chief hobby is sitting
on the window ledge and hissing and growling at any of the
neighborhood strays that wander by.

The neighbors have an adorable half-grown gray and white Siamese.

Recently, the neighbors have moved out, and it looks as though they
may have left, accidentally or intentionally, this cat behind in their
apartment. I've gone ahead and left some food and water for it, and
made sure it has some litter to go in, but now I'm wondering about
what to do if they don't come back for it.

My aunt, a cat-fancier herself, has advised taking it to a no-kill
shelter, and certainly I would do this if there wasn't any other
option. She says that old cats and young cats do not tend to get
along very well at all. But it's such an adorable cat...

I was wondering if there was any way to keep my current cat and this
cat from going at it if I did want to keep the younger one? I don't
know how feasible it is, especially since I have a fairly smallish
apartment, only one litterbox, and I'm away at work for 9 hours of the
day (and live alone).

Any advice, tips, secret tricks? Or would it just be best to give it
up as unfeasible?
--
Chris Meadows aka | If this post helped or entertained you, please rate
Robotech_Master | it at http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=robotech

http://www.eyrie.org/~robotech
Old March 31st 04, 04:27 AM
MaryL

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
g...

My aunt, a cat-fancier herself, has advised taking it to a no-kill
shelter, and certainly I would do this if there wasn't any other
option. She says that old cats and young cats do not tend to get
along very well at all. But it's such an adorable cat...

I was wondering if there was any way to keep my current cat and this
cat from going at it if I did want to keep the younger one?

--
Chris Meadows aka
| Homepage: http://www.eyrie.org/~robotech

Chris,

Yes, an older cat and a younger cat can learn to get along. It would take
time and patience, especially when your resident cat already shows
displeasure with other cats. My cat, Holly (8 years old at the time) had
always been aggressive and extremely agitated by other cats. When I adopted
Duffy (blind, approximately 3-5 years old), I took great care to make the
introductions very slow and gradual. In my opinion, the biggest mistake
that many people make in circumstances like this is to try to move took
quickly. Send email to me if you would like for me to send you a copy of
the description I wrote after bringing my two cats together. We used to
call Holly "the black tornado," but now the two are good friends.

You said that your apartment is smallish. Is there any way that you could
keep the two cats in separate rooms during the introduction process? If so,
it can be done. A person can almost always find a way to add a second
litter box, so that should not present a great problem.

Please try! It would be wonderful if you can give this little cat a home,
and your current cat may find that she really likes having a companion
(especially since you are gone for a number of hours each day). That is
what happened with Holly. Be sure to get the new cat spayed or neutered
*immediately* if that has not already been done -- both for the "obvious"
reason and also to cut down on behavioral problems.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old March 31st 04, 07:48 PM
Linda Terrell

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:27:18 UTC, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
g...

My aunt, a cat-fancier herself, has advised taking it to a no-kill
shelter, and certainly I would do this if there wasn't any other
option. She says that old cats and young cats do not tend to get
along very well at all. But it's such an adorable cat...

I was wondering if there was any way to keep my current cat and this
cat from going at it if I did want to keep the younger one?

Oh, do please rescue the little one.

It can work, with patience. I used to keep new cats in the bathroom
and let the other cats get introduced through the large space under
the
door. Now, however, I have a large dog crate for foster kittens.
and I put a new cat in there, so they can used to us, the traffic
pattern and the other cats. Works right well.

LT