No more Wellness

Old May 18th 05, 05:13 AM

All foods (even the approved ones) are not created equal. There's a
huge variance in quality among different brands of cat food. Just
because something is nutritionally complete enough to sustain your cat
doesn't mean it's a great product.. it just means your cat's not going
to say, go blind or keel over as a result of eating it long-term. (You
could survive on TV dinners, but you'd probably be in better condition
if you opted for something a little healthier, you know?)

Not to mention.. just as with people, different cats have different
needs, and although two foods may both meet AAFCO standards, one may be
more appropriate than another for a particular cat. I have noticed a
definite difference in the condition of my cats when switching from one
(AAFCO approved nutritionally complete) food to another.

Also, it's not always just about what's missing- some foods may
actually contain *more* of a particular nutrient than your cat needs.
(I've had this problem with one of mine.)

Old May 20th 05, 11:51 PM
Mary

equalizer wrote

Mine liked Science Diet Chicken and the Turkey as well. I may try some of

the Iams next.

The numbers may be good, but my cats hate the stuff.

Old May 20th 05, 11:57 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Before I found the additional case of Wellness, I bought a variety of
canned foods including Iams, Science Diet, Friskies, and Whiskas. I
wanted to see which of these my cats would eat. Tonight I tried Iams
chicken formula. I fully expected Tiger would eat it and Amber would
take one sniff and walk away. Was I surprised! They both loved it.
The Iams numbers are almost the same as Wellness and the ingredient list
doesn't look too bad either. I don't plan on a permanent change but
it's nice to know there is something else that they like. In a few
days, I will see how the Science Diet goes.

I've never met a cat who likes Iams canned, not even when it was considered
one of the better foods. All of the cats that refused the canned would
always eat Iams dry, though.

At work, the two cats eat Science Diet Light, both canned & dry. They've
eaten other dry food, but they don't really like any other brand of canned.
At home, my two get Science Diet, Wellness, Petguard and once in awhile I'll
throw another brand in the mix. Mostly I buy those three brands in various
flavors and give them a different brand/flavor at each meal. They rarely
get dry, but when they do it's SD.

--
Liz

Old May 26th 05, 02:45 PM
Jean B.

---MIKE--- wrote:

Wellness is an excellent product and my cats like it BUT OMH has stopped
shipping it. My store has not been able to get any for several weeks.
Their supplier (P&P) have just started getting shipments and they are
already allocated to stores (not my store however) and say it could be
30 days before my store gets any. Tomorrow I plan to get several cans
of Whiskas, Friskies and Science Diet and see which ones my cats will
eat. If I am successful, I will continue to use what they like. I
don't mind paying the price for Wellness but the attitude of Old Mother
Hubbard and P&P has caused me to find another product.

---MIKE---

Hehe. I am here (late) because of this very issue! How
short-sighted of them. If we have to search out alternatives, if
and when they get their product back on the shelves, will their
customers return to them? I am about to go out and hunt for some
Wellness, but I am also about to try Friskies and PetGuard. :-(

--
Jean B.
Old May 26th 05, 02:47 PM
Jean B.

---MIKE--- wrote:

The food I wanted was the chicken flavor. They were out of stock on
that. I did find a store that carries Felidae and Solid Gold. I plan
to give these a try (along with the so called crap).

Chicken was the first to disappear. I found some too-large cans
of it and wish I had gotten more. No turkey now. :-(
--
Jean B.