Bronchoscopy -- how safe?

Old December 28th 05, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Bronchoscopy -- how safe?

Hello all,
We've scheduled a procedure for our cat to see about the details of her
chronic cough. We have a choice of either a bronchoscopy or a wash.
Hubby is concerned about the safety of the bronchoscopy but I think it's
the right thing to do.

Our cat is 10 years old and except for a chronic cough which we're not
too sure is asthma, Gypsy is fine. She's had a heart echo and blood work
and all is fine.

So our question is how safe is a bronchoscopy for cats? Should we do
that or the wash?

Thanks so much

Paula
Old January 2nd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paula Sims" wrote in message
.net...
Hello all,
We've scheduled a procedure for our cat to see about the details of her
chronic cough. We have a choice of either a bronchoscopy or a wash.
Hubby is concerned about the safety of the bronchoscopy but I think it's
the right thing to do.

Our cat is 10 years old and except for a chronic cough which we're not
too sure is asthma, Gypsy is fine. She's had a heart echo and blood work
and all is fine.

So our question is how safe is a bronchoscopy for cats? Should we do
that or the wash?

Thanks so much

Paula

If the vet will be using a modern flexible fiberoptic endoscope, I'd opt for
the bronchoscopy because it would yield more information than a
trans-tracheal wash. If the vet will be using an old ridged scope, either
go with the wash or find a vet who uses a fiberoptic scope.

Btw, has your cat had chest x-rays and has she been tested for heartworm
disease?

Best of luck,

Phil

Safe Dosage of Diphenhydramine? John Cat health & behaviour 18 October 4th 04 04:35 AM
Any safe port John Biltz Cat anecdotes 5 February 28th 04 07:18 AM
are any of the spot on flea controls really safe? Lauralai Cat health & behaviour 24 October 4th 03 07:43 PM
is Zodiac safe to use for fleas Lauralai Cat health & behaviour 33 October 3rd 03 07:53 AM
safe pesticide fogger? Betsy Cat health & behaviour 14 July 18th 03 09:57 PM