Chilled canned food ok to serve to cats

Old September 21st 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rick Ulrich[_2_]

Default Chilled canned food ok to serve to cats

Hi.
What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and at
room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of food and
have to store in frig until next serving.

Thanks Rick

Old September 21st 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rick Ulrich" wrote in message
Hi.
What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and
at room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of
food and have to store in frig until next serving.

It's okay. I do it too. Strangely, my cat will not eat any flavor but
salmon cold, so I have to let it sit out a little while before I put it
down. She chows on the salmon right away.
Thanks Rick

Old September 21st 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Chilled canned food would have less aroma than room temperature or
warmed food. I place the unopened can in warm water for 15 minutes
before opening it. The resulting aroma makes the food more appealing
(to the cats).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 21st 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Or throw it in the microwave with a little water in it for a few seconds i
do that on a cold day for them it is gone even if it something they are
not to happy with to begin with

Old September 22nd 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:39:21 GMT from "Rick Ulrich"
"Rick Ulrich" :
What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
Does it have to be at room temperature?

Milo seems to prefer it, even when the weather isn't hot.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old September 22nd 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:07:51 -0400 from Stan Brown
:

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:39:21 GMT from "Rick Ulrich"
"Rick Ulrich" :
What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
Does it have to be at room temperature?

Milo seems to prefer it, even when the weather isn't hot.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit: Milo seems to prefer it
right out of the fridge.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old September 22nd 09, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

You have to be kidding. I know this is my fault because, after all I
started it. Mine have to have theirs a bit warm, few seconds nuked does it
for them. Makes it smell really good, maybe that only matters to me but
they eat most anything I give them. Cold food, I can just see the three of
them turning up their collective noses.

Old September 22nd 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:53:05 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

You have to be kidding. I know this is my fault because, after all I
started it. Mine have to have theirs a bit warm, few seconds nuked does it
for them. Makes it smell really good, maybe that only matters to me but
they eat most anything I give them. Cold food, I can just see the three of
them turning up their collective noses.

"Rick Ulrich" wrote in message
.. .
Hi.
What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and
at room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of
food and have to store in frig until next serving.

Thanks Rick

I refrigerate whatever my three cats don't finish, and that food often
ends up going to the outside cat(s). I usually nuke it for 10 seconds
just to get the chill out, and of course I stir it so Scooter and the
other outside cats don't burn their little mouths on a hot spot. I was
talking to one of my neighbors the other day and she laughed at the
part about stirring the food but she does it also.

I find that the outside cats are much less picky than my prima donnas.

That said, my cats will eat cold food at times.