OT--ISN'T THIS A CAT GROUP???

Old August 15th 11, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default OT--ISN'T THIS A CAT GROUP???

I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 15th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"---MIKE---" wrote
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

A word of advice: Skip the OT posts. They're marked "OT", to make it easy to
skip them.

Old August 15th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message
"---MIKE---" wrote
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

A word of advice: Skip the OT posts. They're marked "OT", to make it easy
to skip them.

Some people hold the belief that a newsgroup is a group of people that are
interested in the same thing
not necessarily a group of people that post always about the same topic. I
happen to agree with this philosophy.

Matt

Old August 15th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 15, 6:29*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I am getting discouraged with this group. *There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I know what you're saying. But we just all need to start some more
cat
threads to balance things out a bit. I've read elsewhere that rpca is
turning into more of a support group for cat owners than being
actually
about cats. Newsgroups just evolve that way. That's why I am starting
to follow facebook more closely than rpca. Lots and lots of cat
stories--AND
photos and videos too.
What about Amber and Tiger? Doesn't Amber have a birthday soon? Hope
she is doing well, and Tiger too.

Sherry
Old August 15th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 6:29 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I know what you're saying. But we just all need to start some more
cat
threads to balance things out a bit. I've read elsewhere that rpca is
turning into more of a support group for cat owners than being
actually
about cats. Newsgroups just evolve that way. That's why I am starting
to follow facebook more closely than rpca. Lots and lots of cat
stories--AND
photos and videos too.
What about Amber and Tiger? Doesn't Amber have a birthday soon? Hope
she is doing well, and Tiger too.

Sherry

- - - - - - - - - - -

I think I understand the basis for the question. I must admit that I have
gotten to the point where I often just glance at rpca and then turn away
because there are so many OT threads and so few cat threads. It's too
bad--I don't want to use Facebook, and most people seem to have stopped
posting cat threads to rpca.

MaryL

Old August 15th 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 07:29:42 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

So start posting cat stuff! This is a community of friends... if you
want more discussion on a particular topic, then start talking about
it, and I'm sure people will join in.

Correct. I belong to several other newsgroups, and discussions meander and
change. You post something about a cat, and someone remembers something
about a dog, or posts something about a cat looking at birds and before you
know it there is a discussion about birds. Nothing wrong with that. You want
to discuss cats only -- post something about cats. I'm sure you'll get

My feeling: if I don't like it, I won't read it. There are threads I don't
follow (here and elsewhere). But so long as people enjoy discussing things
other than cats, there is really nothing wrong with conversing with friends
about related or even unrelated subjects. As a prime example, we have had
discussions about someone's health problems here. Not only is this an
opportunity to help and encourage that new friend with sympathy and support,
it is also an opportunity to learn something. I certainly have learned a
great deal here, about cats and about other subjects.

And as a newbie here, allow me to compliment my "elders" he this is one
of the most peaceful and acrimony-free group I have ever read (and I have
read plenty). Good for you! and please keep it up.

Thanks, guys,

Jay

Old August 15th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/15/2011 6:29 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I'm sorry, I know I'm the biggest offender. I'll try to make myself
more scarce from now on so others can enjoy the group and not be forced
to go to FaceBook. No hard feelings, I know where you're coming from.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 15th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 15, 1:53*pm, CatNipped wrote:
On 8/15/2011 6:29 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

I am getting discouraged with this group. *There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

* * * * * * * * * *---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* *(44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I'm sorry, I know I'm the biggest offender. *I'll try to make myself
more scarce from now on so others can enjoy the group and not be forced
to go to FaceBook. *No hard feelings, I know where you're coming from.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm really sorry to hear you say that. It's not all about you. There
have been posts about
everything from bedtime stories to movies to books to riots to air
conditioning to
unclaimed property and everything else in between. And for the most
part, I've enjoyed
them all and participated in them.
However, and remember, you have my deepest sympathy for the illness
you're struggling with--
but the graphic descriptions in your last post turned me quite off. I
agree that, if venting makes
you feel better, you should by all means do it.
However again, I come to this group for entertainment and to get my
mind off *my* problems.
Your "rotting in the ground" descriptive was too much for me. It just
made me think of all the
cats I have "rotting in the ground". My next thought -- probably since
my mother's 80th
birthday would have been today -- about *her* "rotting in the ground."
So, no thanks. Call me selfish, but I will not read another post which
is that graphic.

Sherry

Try my new group! Ryan Cat health & behaviour 0 March 2nd 06 10:35 PM
Group Hug! Bill Stock Cat anecdotes 1 October 4th 05 01:29 AM
This is a CAT group not a CHAT group BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 36 March 12th 05 03:37 AM
To the group [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 September 3rd 04 03:28 AM
To The Group Len Albrecht Cat health & behaviour 256 July 4th 04 07:55 AM