Recommendation for organic cat foods?

Old March 28th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Recommendation for organic cat foods?

Is there some research to show benefits of these organics or disadvantages
of off-the-shelf foods?
What is your opinion?
many thanks

Old March 28th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Testimony is often the best proof. My sister's two feral rescues were
2 years old when they came to her from a no-kill shelter, where they'd
lived since they were kittens. They were being well cared for and fed
plenty of commercial food at the shelter. After two weeks on organic
raw food these adult cats actually started growing in size. Their
teeth and eyes cleared, no more bad breath, silkier coats, and what
came out of them completely changed in ...well, stinkiness. As in much
less stinky. Of course now they're trying to keep up with them,
they've got so much energy.

A cat's natural diet does not include fillers, chemicals, and
preservatives. With an organic, species-appropriate diet, they do
thrive. My sister's cases are just one example. I've seen this
without fail a minimum of 30 times. Every cat has also gone through a
detox period of about 1-2 weeks where everything gets stinkier, etc.
and then it's like they've peeled off a dingy film and everything about
them shines.

Old March 28th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 2006-03-28, Joe Canuck wrote:
wrote:
[...]

A cat's natural diet does not include fillers, chemicals, and
preservatives. With an organic, species-appropriate diet, they do
thrive. My sister's cases are just one example. I've seen this
without fail a minimum of 30 times. Every cat has also gone through a
detox period of about 1-2 weeks where everything gets stinkier, etc.
and then it's like they've peeled off a dingy film and everything about
them shines.

We should worry so much about the food WE consume.

We do, which is why my wife and I have been eating exclusively organic
food (except for the occasional take-out or restaurant meal) for about
the last seven and a half years. Better for us, better for the planet,
etc.

I've never seen organic cat food. Romeo has been eating Iams almost
since we got him over nine years ago. He seems to like it.

Love of beauty is Taste...The creation of beauty is Art.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Old March 28th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Joe Canuck wrote:
We should worry so much about the food WE consume.

LOL! I always say my cats eat better than we do.

Old March 28th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Joe Negron wrote:
I've never seen organic cat food.

I believe Paul Newman's uses organic ingredients, but can't say for
sure. Petguard uses free-range, non-hormones beef.

Old March 29th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 2006-03-28, PawsForThought wrote:

Joe Negron wrote:
I've never seen organic cat food.

I believe Paul Newman's uses organic ingredients, but can't say for
sure.

Thanks for the mention.

Later, after posting that message, I happened to watch an "Iconoclasts"
episode on Sundance; this particular episode was on Robert Redford's
regard for Paul Newman. As a matter of course, they did a small segment
on Newman's Organics and, what do you know, they displayed a Newman's
Organic's pet food.

I've never noticed it where we shop, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Petguard uses free-range, non-hormones beef.

Thanks for this, too.

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing for something.

--Wilson Mizner
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Old March 29th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 2006-03-28, Joe Canuck wrote:
wrote:
[...]
We should worry so much about the food WE consume.

We do, which is why my wife and I have been eating exclusively organic
food (except for the occasional take-out or restaurant meal) for about
the last seven and a half years. Better for us, better for the planet,
etc.

I've never seen organic cat food. Romeo has been eating Iams almost
since we got him over nine years ago. He seems to like it.

I don't doubt it is better for all of us, but how do you know the foods
you purchase have been grown and tended in a completely organic matter?

Well, that's another whole kettle of fish (bleak attempt to stay OT --
cat, fish, get it?). IMO, the situation was better when state organic
certification was the norm (Oregon, Washington, etc.) instead of the
USDA Organic certification. The USDA Organic standard is a watered down
version of the various regional certification agencies. To make matters
worse, various corporations are putting pressure on the USDA to further
erode the USDA organic standard. It doesn't help that many of the
people at the top of the USDA (and many other government agencies) are
former industry lobbyists and such.

These days even ordinary water isn't quite so ordinary anymore. :-(

I'm unsure of what you mean this, but I'm reminded of one of the abuses
of the term "organic": cosmetic products can be called "organic" simply
by adding water to them.

Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored.

--George Saunders' dying words
Joe Negron from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY, USA