Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds (HD)

Old August 16th 09, 10:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds (HD)

"Phil P." wrote
Hey! Look at the upside- Cats are improving the avian species by removing
slow and stupid birds from the gene pool. lol!

heh

Old August 16th 09, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Aug 16, 1:35*am, "Phil P." wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 9:49 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

Pure bull****. The entire video is based on fraudulent and manipulated
"studies" by Temple & Coleman. Temple & Coleman were interviewed in 1994
and asked to substantiate their figures. When cornered, they admitted "
"Those figures were from our proposal. They aren't actual data; that was
just our projection to show how bad it might be." IOW, their estimates of
cat kill were nothing more than guesses. Yet the bird groups- especially
ABC, cite these quacks' papers as though they were scientific studies that
have undergone the peer-review process- which they have not. What's even
more ridiculous, is that practically all the "studies" Temple & Coleman's
cite in their bull**** "papers" are their *own* guesstimated "studies".
That's exactly the same as using yourself as a reference! But that doesn't
bother the bird groups as long as the papers say what they want them to

say.

Here are a couple of good reads that pick Temple & Coleman's "studies"
apart:

http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html...sin_study.html

http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html..._reviewed.html
headline:
Cats and wildlife - how you can protect both
LW0025
Stephen Platt, August 1999
Where is your cat at the moment?

News flash: We're talking about *feral* cats, Einstein- not pet cats.- Hide quoted text -

Seems they would be worse!
Old August 16th 09, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Aug 16, 1:35*am, "Phil P." wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 9:49 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

[...]

There are other studies from sources non-biased such as the Spray Pet
Advocay, that indicates bird predation by cats is serious!:

http://www.geocities.com/the_srco/Article.html

DOMESTIC CAT (Felis catus ) PREDATION OF BIRDS IN AN URBAN ENVIRONMENT

That's not a scientic, peer-reviewed study, Einstein- its just a paper. *The
author used 3 of Temple & Coleman's bull**** papers for their guesstimated
guesstimates of statistics. The authors have no credibility.

Hey! Look at the upside- Cats are improving the avian species by removing
slow and stupid birds from the gene pool. lol!- Hide quoted text -

That is a stupid statement! Your use of Einstein shows your mentality
and your sources are hardly unbiased!
Old August 16th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (8/15/2009 2:43 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (8/15/2009 1:59 AM):
"chatnoir" wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds
So what is the answer?
Sadly, the only answer currently is humane euthanasia for unadoptable
individuals. It is a hard decision, but shelters are so very

overloaded,
I think it's the only humane thing we can do until the human population
can be better educated to spay, neuter, and not breed cats
indiscriminately.

I know this is an unpopular thought, and I hate the necessity, but

there
truly isn't anything else that can be done currently.

Euthanize rather than TNR? Not even.

Actually, along with. Euthanasia,

Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

I think, is probably a better death
than dying of old age and/or sickness in an overpopulated colony.

What's a better than dying of old age??? That's how I want to go! I think
you need to do a lot more research because you're clearly misinformed. Feral
cats in well managed colonies live long, healthy and happy lives.

Look how much the cats in my colony are suffering.....

http://maxshouse.com/on_the_prowl.htm

I know it's not a popular opinion. I hate that it's necessary, but I'm
a realist.

A realist, huh? You're suggesting killing 100 million feral cats.

Old August 16th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"chatnoir" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 1:35 am, "Phil P." wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 9:49 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

[...]

One stupid statement deserves another, eh Einstein?

Your use of Einstein shows your mentality

Actually, my use of "Einstein" was sarcastic and referred to your mentality
or more precisely, lack thereof.

and your sources are hardly unbiased!

At least the author of the paper I cited didn't cite her own bull**** papers
as references. That must have escaped your lightening quick perception, eh
Einstein?

Old August 16th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"chatnoir" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 1:35 am, "Phil P." wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 9:49 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

[...]

No, Einstein,- ferals are usually much better hunters than pet cats. g
Have you ever seen a cat leap 6 feet straight up and catch a bird in mid
air? I have. It was absolutely magnificent!

Since birdseed is cheaper than cat food, I've been thinking about spreading
birdseed around my colonies instead of putting out cat food. Not only would
I save a fortune, but the cats would have some entertainment with their
dinner and they'd also get some exercise to boot..

Old August 16th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 16, 8:52*am, "Phil P." wrote:
"jmc" wrote:
Actually, along with. *Euthanasia,

Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

Thanks for the reminder of the word meaning.

Abortion is killing too, I hope you agree. A cat inside the womb
is just as deserving of life and a home as a cat outside the womb.
Old August 16th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 16, 8:52*am, "Phil P." wrote:
Look how much the cats in my colony are suffering.....

http://maxshouse.com/on_the_prowl.htm

Very interesting looking. If you have described your colony
before, here or elsewhere, please post a link. I'm curious
about the boundary. How do you keep the colony cats in
and the unspayed/unneutered cats out? Also, the picture
looks like an ordinary neighborhood street. Are there human
neighbors living within this colony?
Old August 16th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:52:26 GMT from Phil P. :
Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

And you think they're not suffering in a crowded kennel with other
animals, some of them sick and all of them anxious and upset? Do you
think a battery chicken is better off continuing that life or being
given a painless death?

As jmc said, it's not a good alternative but it's also not
necessarily the worst.

The SPCA in Tompkins County is a no-kill shelter, but even their
resources are strained to the limit. I can't imagine what conditions
must be like in an urban shelter.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old August 16th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:52:26 GMT from Phil P. :
Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

And you think they're not suffering in a crowded kennel with other
animals, some of them sick and all of them anxious and upset? Do you
think a battery chicken is better off continuing that life or being
given a painless death?

As jmc said, it's not a good alternative but it's also not
necessarily the worst.

The SPCA in Tompkins County is a no-kill shelter, but even their
resources are strained to the limit. I can't imagine what conditions
must be like in an urban shelter.

The topis is TNR, Stan. This stupid bitch is saying this needs to stop and
the cats must be killed to save the birds. Do you agree with that?