OT Gi-Normous D-thing

Old July 11th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

Default OT Gi-Normous D-thing

He's half Great Dane, half Newfoundland. That mix should add up to an
enormous dog, and a very nice one, too.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...11/ndog111.xml

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old July 11th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 8:24 am, Kreisleriana wrote:
He's half Great Dane, half Newfoundland. That mix should add up to an
enormous dog, and a very nice one, too.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...07/07/11/ndog1...

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War

I bet he's just a big old love bug. Danes are like that -- I don't
know any Newfounlands--but it's like the Danes
*know* how big they are and don't have a thing to prove. I can't
imagine a dog with paws as big as dinner plates!
Bet he'd be a great dog with kids, too.
The scary thing I thought about looking at him is it seems the dogs I
have known who were much larger than the breed
generally is, a pup that is markedly larger than its
littermates....two separate ones I have known of friends....they
died very young and very suddenly. As if their hearts can't keep up
with that huge body.

Sherry

Old July 11th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 8:24 am, Kreisleriana wrote:
He's half Great Dane, half Newfoundland. That mix should add up to an
enormous dog, and a very nice one, too.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...07/07/11/ndog1...

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War

I also just imagined a dog of that size with my Happy's little
obstinate Doxie brain. The world was his territory
and he had the monumental task of proving it to everybody. Lordy. If
he had the size factor this dog has, he'd have
been a little canine Ghengis Khan.
Sherry

Old July 11th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:08:29 -0700, Sherry yodeled:

On Jul 11, 8:24 am, Kreisleriana wrote:
He's half Great Dane, half Newfoundland. That mix should add up to an
enormous dog, and a very nice one, too.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...07/07/11/ndog1...

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War

I also just imagined a dog of that size with my Happy's little
obstinate Doxie brain. The world was his territory
and he had the monumental task of proving it to everybody. Lordy. If
he had the size factor this dog has, he'd have
been a little canine Ghengis Khan.
Sherry

Oh, I think a big problem with many small breeds is that they weren't
bred for temperament because they were small. Small dogs can be very
strong and do a lot of damage.

OTOH, a lot of big dog breeds are sweet-tempered, but have no sense of
their bodies, how much room they're taking up, and how much force they
generate. Because they're sweet and not likely to bite, some people
don't bother training them, and let them go around knocking people
flat.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old July 11th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I just read in my newspaper that a new dictionary coming out soon will
contain the word "ginormous".

--
Joy

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary,
how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how
to combine them.
--Nathaniel Hawthorne

Old July 11th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

My little dog Sampson (heh, same name, different spelling and definitely
different size! And he was so named because for such a small dog he needed
a big name!) was a powerhouse even though he never weighed more than 12 lbs.
his entire life. He broke a leash and chased a German Shepherd down the
street! And people always thought I had a big dog because he didn't yap, he
had a very deep bark.

OTOH, a lot of big dog breeds are sweet-tempered, but have no sense of
their bodies, how much room they're taking up, and how much force they
generate. Because they're sweet and not likely to bite, some people
don't bother training them, and let them go around knocking people
flat.

I know someone who was hell bent on getting a Mastiff. Why? Because he
wanted a big dog. That's the only reason. He didn't care about their
temperament or anything, just that they are big. Need I mention he was only
5'4"? Sort of a Napoleon complex.

Jill

Old July 11th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 2:47 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

I think wanting a big dog is fine, as long as they understand how much
room &
food the big dog needs. It's the ones who specifically ask for a mean
dog that
bother me. After all, some people would just rather have a St.
Bernard
than a Chihuahua.

Sherry

Old July 11th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

I just read in my newspaper that a new dictionary coming out soon will
contain the word "ginormous".

Ewww. And I say this as someone with a strong "descriptive" bent toward
language: it's gonna do what it's gonna do. And I accept that, but that
doesn't mean I have to like every incidence of it.

Please tell me they're not going to include "guesstimate". Oh, never
mind. That one was probably included years ago. I challenge anyone to
tell me the difference between guesstimate and estimate!

Joyce

PS - Could someone follow-up and quote this post in its entirety? Since
I'm responding to Joy, I'd like her to see it, but for some reason she
does not appear to see my posts.