Archer Lethargic, Not Eating

Old July 17th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Archer Lethargic, Not Eating

"alisont via CatKB.com" u11078@uwe wrote in message
I don't want to make you worry but my Tigger almost died from a bad
reaction
to a vaccine. She also stopped eating and was running a high fever. Both
my
cats are usually lethargic after a vaccine and not as interested in food
and
that has not been a problem. But I would worry about the shakiness and
feeling warm.

My husband just got home (he took off early to play kitten nurse! ;) and he
said they appear to be fine now - eating and then playing. Thank the
gawds!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 17th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
it was scary because she is usually a high energy cat so I was pretty
scared, Lee

Yep, cats have that same ability to almost stop your heart like your
children do! There's nothing that will send me into a panic quicker than
one of my cats or one of my kids being sick (with the added problem of that
cats' not being able to tell you what hurts!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped wrote in message
"Stormmee" wrote in message
OEJ reacts so strongly that my vet gives her an additional shot for the
problem, she is absolutely a lump and acts for all the world like she

has
human flu if she doesn't get a reactor shot, Lee

Oh thank you for telling me that - I kind of expect that's what it is,
but
I've never had a kitten react that badly before.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped wrote in message
I know it's probably just a reaction to getting his vaccinations last
night,
but I've never had a kitten *this* affected by it. Last night after
getting
home from the vet, both Ozzie and Archer went under the couch in DH's
office
and had (apparently) not moved as of 5:30AM this morning. When I fed
them,
I had to pull both boys out from under the couch (usually they're
climbing
up my legs trying to get at the food before I can set it down). Ozzie
wasn't much interested in eating as much as he normally does, but he

did
eat
some and used the litterbox. Archer, however, didn't want anything to

do
with his food, seemed a bit weak and shaky, and felt warm to me. We
syringed him some water (two small syringes full) and food, but after
about
1.4 of the large syringe of food he started gagging like he was going

throw up so we stopped. If he hasn't improved by noon today, he goes
straight away back to the vet, but I was wondering if anyone has had a
kitten react this strongly to vaccinations?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old July 17th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Inge Grotjahn

Default Archer Lethargic, Not Eating - UPDATE

Am 17.07.2007 schrieb CatNipped:

I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still asleep
under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber with the
screen on the door ;). He pulled them out and gave them some food - and
both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are.

Lori, thanks for the update:-) I'm so glad they were just a little
stressed from the vaccination and are their usual self again:-)

Purrs to you from
Inge and the catgang
--
CatManiacs World: http://www.gwsystems.com/inge
Old July 17th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still asleep
under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber with the
screen on the door ;). He pulled them out and gave them some food - and
both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are.

Oh, thank god!! I saw your other post just a couple of minutes ago and
was going to respond to that, but then I saw this one - what a relief!
I know that awful feeling one gets, when faced with a listless, non-eating
kitty. So glad it was only temporary!

Joyce
Old July 17th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]
1.4 of the large syringe of food he started gagging like he was going to
throw up so we stopped. If he hasn't improved by noon today, he goes
straight away back to the vet, but I was wondering if anyone has had a
kitten react this strongly to vaccinations?

Our Siamese kittens always had a relatively rough time with vaccinations.
But come to think of it, they were the only ones we got as young kittens.

Last week the Chihuahua pup, Camille got her shots. She only got one of the
two she was due for as she is still under two pounds. And she had a really
horrible reaction. Her eyes had that look of pain, she screamed when I
carefully picked her up to put her in her bed. She felt hot and she shook.
It really scared me.

Speaking of shots, Kayla had a couple in late April, rabies and kennel
cough. Several weeks later she got a bald spot on her hip. It would look
like it was clearing up, then it would look sore again. Scab over and clear
up and start again. I finally took her to the vet two weeks ago. It had
developed a slight infection, so we got an antibiotic and a
antibiotic/steroid ointment. (I'd already been using a far cheaper
combination of Cortaid and Neosporin) The vet said it was "very unlikely"
that it was a reaction to the shots.

At the same time I emailed her breeder to see if any of her stock dogs had
similar problems. She said it was common for them to get an injection site
reaction if the vet tech didn't take time to rub the vaccine in after the
shot. Its easy to forget that these tough working dogs are still basically
collies and can be very touchy about medication.

Jo

(This cloud has its silver lining. Kayla doesn't like to come when she is
called unless we are working. But two weeks of antibiotic capsules tucked
into little balls of canned puppy food three times a day has her coming when
she is called.)

Old July 17th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
I still walk up to them when they don't rouse and give them a good
scratch
or a good belly rub till they respond. Maybe that is one reason
they bounce
on me for no reason during the middle of the night

I don't think they really need a reason, beyond "We felt like it"

LOL so true so true

Hoomins make wonderfully soft spring-boards

I keep trying to explain to them the extra padding on front and back are not
to be used as a cushion to land on. I know it is hopeless but I still have
to try. I have learned to tuck back the front feature for it hurts like you
know what when a furball lands claws out from the top of the book shelf. I
think I have woke the household and neighborhood many of nights

Old July 17th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:41:12 -0500, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

I just talked to Ben. He said when he got home both boys were still asleep
under the couch in his office (now known as the isolation chamber with the
screen on the door ;). He pulled them out and gave them some food - and
both boys scarfed it down like the little piglets they are. Tayla came over
when Archer was finished eating and gave him a good wash. When she was done
she walked over to Ozzy, who was still eating, and started to give him a
wash. However, Ozzy didn't want to be washed so he looked up into her face
and hissed at her!!! She sat back and bopped him on top of his head three
times until he laid down, properly chastised, and then gave him his good
wash. After she was done he jumped up, licked both his and Archer's plate
clean, and then walked over and started eating Tayla's dry food. Tayla
looked up at Ben with a "What are you gonna do?" look and then jumped up to
his desk to take her nap.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Oh what a relief-- I was away from the puter for most of the day,
getting pre-surgical testing, and got all upset when I saw the first
posting-- then I skipped down to this update. Glad he seems to be
doing better. Kittens!!

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Old July 18th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Hope this goes through. Google still isn't working for me.

Yoda *and* Biskit reacted really badly to vaccinations. Yoda got so
sick he nearly died from HL. You've
heard me yammer enough about that already I'm sure.

Bikkie wasn't a kitten, she was over a year old. She got extremely
lethargic, for a couple of days even. I
was about to take her to the vet on the 2nd day and she perked up.

Ever since then, I just don't vaccinate Yoda. With the others, I space
their shots out for 3 weeks. Hell, I've gotten
so scared of shots that they're not even current on them anymore. I
know they're a good thing, and the vet
really harps on me, but I've had two cats become gravely ill from the
vax, but down to brass tacks, the odds of
them contracting the diseases themselves (I think) are slim.

Hope the little mite is better already.

Sherry

Old July 19th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

This thread came in handy yesterday. Camille came over for her usual doggie
day care, and spent most of the day acting out and generally seemingly
****ed off at us.

I had forgotten how bad she felt from her shot when she was here last
Thursday, but she hadn't. She just knew it hurt when we picked her up, so
she didn't want anything more to do with us.

But the thread reminded me. And once I cooked dinner she forgave us.
Shepard's Pie with ground lamb was just too much to resist.

Jo