urinary tract infection?

Old January 23rd 05, 11:25 PM
Phil P.

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:41:11 -0600, Cheryl wrote:

Oh, you might get more than 6". lol But, it looks like NYC might get
hammered and the storm go out to sea from there. Stay safe and warm!!

We are indeed getting hammered in NYC. Casual empiricism through the
window...looks like at least 4-5" already, no signs of letting up. The
forecast said something about high winds too, but that hasn't happened

yet.

How come you ain't out there digging out the feral shelters, too, huh? ;-)

Btw, Bryan at NC disagrees with my idea of 25 mm, 4-layer poloycarbonate
roofs for shelters. I think the poloycarbonate will produce a greenhouse
effect and keep the shelters a little warmer - as long as the sun is
shinning.

Whatdaya think?

Phil.

"Cat eyes seem a bridge to a world
beyond the one we know"
Lynn Hollyn
Feline Healthcare - http://maxshouse.com

Old January 23rd 05, 11:33 PM
Phil P.

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

What I've heard mostly is that it will be very windy and cold, and
there could be 6-foot drifts.

One of those will probably be against my back door, making it difficult
for me to dig out the ferals' feeding station. :-( I'm not kidding. A
northeast wind would blow right up against it.

I had the same worries. I've been out since 4:00 am digging out the
entrances of the shelters so they can get in and out - otherwise they'll
starve and poop & pee inside. Two shelters were completely covered and the
cats were nowhere to be found. I've been checking every few hours.

I've been thinking about building bi-level feral shelters for a few years -
this blizzard clinched it.

Phil.(thawing out)

"A cat's heart is normally excited." --Colette
Feline Healthcare - http://maxshouse.com

Old January 23rd 05, 11:36 PM
Arjun Ray

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:25:54 +0000, Phil P. wrote:

How come you ain't out there digging out the feral shelters, too, huh? ;-)

I'd have to get out of the house first - not easy, the sanitation
department trucks cleared the main road by moving everything onto the
side streets.

But my church colony is safe: they hang out in the basement of the church.

Btw, Bryan at NC disagrees with my idea of 25 mm, 4-layer poloycarbonate
roofs for shelters. I think the poloycarbonate will produce a greenhouse
effect and keep the shelters a little warmer - as long as the sun is
shinning.

Whatdaya think?

Is such material properly insulative? That is, being conductive in some
sense, couldn't they radiate heat outward also? I haven't spoken with Bryan,
so I don't know the reasons for his disagreement, but I'll hazard the
guess that he's going with the theory of trapping body heat (with
insulation all around) as the main design principle of a shelter.

I'd love to see a design that successfully trapped outside heat.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:41 PM
Phil P.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 23 Jan 2005 02:53:12p, Phil P. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
link.net):

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go for the natural gas or
propane generator since there aren't many power outages in my
area and when there are, they never last more than a few hours.
Short of an earthquake or H-bomb attack, a natural gas generator
is probably the most practical choice.

There've been two times that power was out for a significant length
of time for me. I never want to go through that again. I don't know
how people lived before electricity. lol I got the generator for
that reason, and also because I have severe power problems at my
house that the power company refuses to acknowledge. Power surges
and dips that scare me, though they aren't as bad this winter as
they were last summer. I've had an electrician in and had my own
home wiring checked and the problem isn't inside. The power company
told both me and my neighbor who has the same problem, that the
only way they will address the problem is if (when!) the power goes
completely out. My home is all electric, no gas at all in this
block of homes. The last power co. tech that was out here guessed
that one of the deck posts was laid on top of a power cable and
they want to tear down the deck. Fine, but not on a guess. My
brother built the deck when he owned this house and he *did* put a
footing close to where the power comes into the house, but he never
had a problem in the 8 years he lived here after building the deck.
Of course it's possible that a line was nicked, and time and water
have finally taken its toll, but that wouldn't cause my neighbors
to have the same problem. I had Miss Utility mark the lines and it
doesn't "daisy chain" from my house to theirs.

--
Cheryl

My next home will have solar panels and a windmill just so I don't have to
deal with Public Service's bull****. They put me through hell when I added
another 100 amp line. Its normally a simple project.

Phil.

Old January 24th 05, 12:00 AM
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
The automatic generators are a lot more expensive than the manual ones.

You're not kidding! But after the pain of spending spending all that
money - a few grand more didn't matter. I was already numb! The convenience
sorta eased the pain.

I don't want my generator to come on whenever there is a power failure
anyway.

I needed that feature for my presses and cutter - especially the cutter!
LOL! If I ever finish the clinic, I'd probably go for a small 30 kw 125 amp
gas generator with an ATS. I haven't priced them recently, but small home
set ups can't be more than $7K-$8K. If not for the clinic, I wouldn't even
bother.

I have a battery/inverter backup system for lights and ceiling
fans etc. plus a gas heater for emergencies. I do need the generator to
run a septic pump which normally goes for 24 seconds three or four times
a day but it uses too much current for the battery/inverter setup. Of
course, if there was an extended power outage I would need the generator
for the furnace and water pump. I also have a gas stove.

I saw a 7500 w electric start (no ATS) gas (oline) at Home Depot for $1,300.
How many watts/amps do you need? They have smaller generators for less.

Phil.

"The cat is truly aristocratic in type and origin."
--Alexandre Dumas

Feline Healthcare - http://maxshouse.com

-

---MIKE---

Old January 24th 05, 12:19 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 23 Jan 2005 07:00:41p, Phil P. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
link.net):

I saw a 7500 w electric start (no ATS) gas (oline) at Home Depot
for $1,300. How many watts/amps do you need? They have smaller
generators for less.

Mine is a Sears Craftsman 3800 w pull start for ~$500. After Isobel a
couple of years ago I borrowed my brothers when his power came back
on, and it's less powerful than this one, but it served my needs and
the needs of one of my neighbors. We shared it, and took turns
filling the gas tank. His took 2 gals, mine takes 4. My only beef
with his was the tank of gas didn't last through the night.

--
Cheryl
Old January 24th 05, 12:23 AM
Phil P.

"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:25:54 +0000, Phil P. wrote:

How come you ain't out there digging out the feral shelters, too, huh?

;-)

I'd have to get out of the house first - not easy, the sanitation
department trucks cleared the main road by moving everything onto the
side streets.

I'm a Bronx kid - got buried in many times. I think the cops told
Sanatation to bury my whole neighborhood every time it snowed! We couldn't
even park on the Avenue.

But my church colony is safe: they hang out in the basement of the church.

ooo That's great!

Btw, Bryan at NC disagrees with my idea of 25 mm, 4-layer poloycarbonate
roofs for shelters. I think the poloycarbonate will produce a

greenhouse
effect and keep the shelters a little warmer - as long as the sun is
shinning.

Whatdaya think?

Is such material properly insulative? That is, being conductive in some
sense, couldn't they radiate heat outward also?

No, its 25mm (1 inch) thick, 4-layers. I was also thinking using 16 mm
2-layer poloycarbonate for a pitched roof and gables on top of the 25 mm
ceiling. I have a supplier in MN who will cut the polycarbonate to size.

I haven't spoken with Bryan,
so I don't know the reasons for his disagreement, but I'll hazard the
guess that he's going with the theory of trapping body heat (with
insulation all around) as the main design principle of a shelter.

He thinks the cats won't feel secure with a clear roof. He has a point.
Cats like to snuggle in dark cozy places. But cats also like to sleep in
the sun. I think they'd prefer warmth in the winter. The roof is easily
interchangeable or covered with a reflective surface for the warmer months.

The overall design stays the same.

I'm also working on a bi-level shelter with an open ground floor and wind
breakers.

I'd love to see a design that successfully trapped outside heat.

Gimme your email addy and I'll send you the plans.

Phil.

"0 cat of ashen coat! To the uninitiated you look like every other gray cat
on earth, lazy, oblivious, morose, somewhat listless, neuter, bored ... but
I know you to be wildly tender, and whimsical, jealous to the point of
starving yourself, talkative, paradoxically awkward, and, on occasion, as
tough as a young mastiff." -COLETTE
Feline Healthcare - http://maxshouse.com

Old January 24th 05, 12:48 AM
Priscilla Ballou

wrote:

What I've heard mostly is that it will be very windy and cold, and
there could be 6-foot drifts.

One of those will probably be against my back door, making it difficult
for me to dig out the ferals' feeding station. :-( I'm not kidding. A
northeast wind would blow right up against it.

I had the same worries. I've been out since 4:00 am digging out the
entrances of the shelters so they can get in and out - otherwise they'll
starve and poop & pee inside. Two shelters were completely covered and the
cats were nowhere to be found. I've been checking every few hours.
I've been thinking about building bi-level feral shelters for a few years -
this blizzard clinched it.

I was relieved -- when I shouldered my way out my back door by brute
force so I could shovel off the deck and liberate (and restock) the
feeding station -- to see that there was a clear entrance maintained to
the heated shelter (plastic dog house with bedding and outdoor kennel
heating pad). I'd leant an old wheelbarrow over the entrance to create
a wind baffle, and it had worked like a champ, leaving the southwest
corner almost totally snowfree. So there was was ready access to and
egress from the little house. Later when I went down to the basement to
do some laundry I spotted a couple of cats under the back porch, near
the window (which is near the furnace). It was too dark to see *which*
cats they were, though.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Old January 24th 05, 02:39 AM
Arjun Ray

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:23:15 +0000, Phil P. wrote:
"Arjun Ray" wrote in message
news

But my church colony is safe: they hang out in the basement of the
church.

ooo That's great!

They also sneak into the basement of the parish hall next door (I suspect
because the heating in that building is better). A minor nusiance for the
church staff, but they're used to the cats, and quite pleased with the
idea that there won't be more of them! (One interesting aspect of having
caught the last intact female back in Aug 03 has been the drop in the
number of alien toms um, passing through.)

[Bryan] thinks the cats won't feel secure with a clear roof. He has a
point. Cats like to snuggle in dark cozy places.

Ah, okay.

But cats also like to sleep in the sun. I think they'd prefer warmth
in the winter. The roof is easily interchangeable or covered with a
reflective surface for the warmer months.

It's tough to find a place exposed to sunlight that isn't also exposed to
wind (the major problem in the city, where houses only make the wind
tunnel effects worse). Generally the strategy for shelter placement has
been with the wind in mind.

I'd love to see a design that successfully trapped outside heat.

Gimme your email addy and I'll send you the plans.

I have two. nyct.net instead of nmds.com.invalid in the address I'm
posting with, or the formula . If you
aren't subscribed already, you could join the

mailing list and upload the plans to the Files section too.

Old January 24th 05, 12:49 PM
Jean B.

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

I was relieved -- when I shouldered my way out my back door by brute
force so I could shovel off the deck and liberate (and restock) the
feeding station -- to see that there was a clear entrance maintained to
the heated shelter (plastic dog house with bedding and outdoor kennel
heating pad). I'd leant an old wheelbarrow over the entrance to create
a wind baffle, and it had worked like a champ, leaving the southwest
corner almost totally snowfree. So there was was ready access to and
egress from the little house. Later when I went down to the basement to
do some laundry I spotted a couple of cats under the back porch, near
the window (which is near the furnace). It was too dark to see *which*
cats they were, though.

Priscilla

What a relief!

--