Spot is still with us and needs feeding

Old October 31st 03, 07:18 AM
-L.

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...
In m,
-L. composed with style:

Just for reference: I suspect my kitty has lymphoma in the
intestinal
tract but I'm not inclined to diagnose it any further or treat it
because I don't believe in prolonging the inevitable. My goal is to
keep him comfortable, keep trying to put weight on him, and give him
as much loving as possible while he's still here with me.

Peewee?

Yeah. He's just not "right". His feces look really weird and aren't
regular - I'm having to poke all kinds of food and lubes down him
constantly. He's doing pretty well, though. He seems to have
stabilized in weight - I need to take him in again in a month or so
for a recheck. He's drinking well, which makes me happy. I'm just
really terrified that he's going to take a major down-turn while we
are out of town during our adoption. He's pretty much requiring
pampering now, and our pet sitter is great, but not much of a cat
person. :/

-L.
Old November 1st 03, 12:01 AM
Animal luva

-L. wrote:
"Animal luva" wrote in message
snip
I'm now concerned for Spot's diet as I've read that this cancer
feeds on proteins and a low-protein diet is recommended.
How can we now ensure Spot not only eats enough, but eats the right
kinds of food?

I wouldn't worry about the "right kinds of food". I would feed him
whatever he will eat. What you are doing (I think, I hope) is
improving quality of life right now. Offer him whatever he will eat.

Oh we are, we do and we will. :-)

I have good luck with Purina diabetic diet (D/M, canned), cooked
turkey (thighs roasted with a little garlic) and canned kitten food
(IAMS).

At the moment tinned salmon, fresh raw steak/liver/turkey seem to work a
treat.

Just for reference: I suspect my kitty has lymphoma in the intestinal
tract but I'm not inclined to diagnose it any further or treat it
because I don't believe in prolonging the inevitable. My goal is to
keep him comfortable, keep trying to put weight on him, and give him
as much loving as possible while he's still here with me.

As my sister told me, it's the intent that counts. As long as it's with
love, it's the right thing to do.

I hope you can find something your kitty will eat well - keep trying.
It took me a while to find things my kitty would gobble down. Other
things to try are broiled fish, canned fish (low salt type) and other
"smelly" foods - braunschweiger (in moderation - it is very fatty),
raw or cooked liver, etc.

Best of luck!

-L.

:-) Thank you, see above. I'm happier Spot has an appetite still, although
we invariably have to hand feed each small piece.
Regards,
AL.

Old November 1st 03, 12:01 AM
Animal luva

-L. wrote:
"Animal luva" wrote in message
not). I shall attempt to create a web page or two for him.
http://www.freesite.myby.co.uk/spot/photo.htm

By the way, he is very cute!

-L.

LOL, thank you. Spot thinks so too. I'll be adding more pix in due course,
be sure to pop back from time to time.
Regards,
AL

Old November 1st 03, 01:06 AM
Cheryl

In m,
-L. composed with style:

Peewee?

Yeah. He's just not "right". His feces look really weird and
aren't
regular - I'm having to poke all kinds of food and lubes down him
constantly. He's doing pretty well, though. He seems to have
stabilized in weight - I need to take him in again in a month or so
for a recheck. He's drinking well, which makes me happy. I'm just
really terrified that he's going to take a major down-turn while we
are out of town during our adoption. He's pretty much requiring
pampering now, and our pet sitter is great, but not much of a cat
person. :/

-L.

Aw Lyn, I'm sorry. I'm glad he's hanging in there for now, though. I
know how you feel about prolonging things so I hope he stays
comfortable. He knows he is loved. I thought that was it with the
hair ball, though. Sorry to hear it may be something more.
Congrats and best wishes for your upcoming adoption!

Old November 2nd 03, 05:17 PM
-L.

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks. In a way, I'm hoping it was just the giant hairball, but in
my gut, I know it is something more. KWIM?

-L.

Old November 3rd 03, 08:24 PM
Linda Hartley

The vet hadn't given us a realistic timescale for euthanasia but passed

the
responsibilty to Spot, saying "Spot will let you know when".
Despite having a few odd days here and there (which is not proved to be
accountable to his cancer), Spot is showing clear signs of enjoying life.

I too have a cat with cancer and as hard as it is please let your friend let
you know when. Quality of life is of paramount importance and as long as
they are enjoying whatever their life can give them then this is what you
can give.Try to be positive in thought as well as deed as I firmly believe
they pick up on our senses and seem to know what we are 'thinking' or
'feeling'. Feel positive about outcomes even if it is bleak. Enjoy the 'rest
of your friends life while he is here' that way he too will enjoy being with
you and not feel like he should leave.

I'm now concerned for Spot's diet as I've read that this cancer feeds on
proteins and a low-protein diet is recommended.
How can we now ensure Spot not only eats enough, but eats the right kinds

of
food?
As a previous give Spot whatever he wants, his body knows what he needs.

You could also try him on mycoplex coriolus, which ias a mushroom based
substance that has been used on Aids patients in germany and the USA with
apparently fairly successful results. It is laso been used with cats and in
some cases a claim has been made to sure...this latter I am not so sure,
however, I am giving it to my friend Yogi, he made a remarkable pickup
initially and I am sure it is this that is helping him through this time. I
give it to him once in the moring and once in the vening, half a tablet each
time, broken into two. He seems to accept this tablet as though he knows it
helps. Leastways I feel he does...its up to us individually what we believe
our cats think or not think.
I wish you every minute of joy with Spot and hugs to Spot for he is a very
special friend too!
Love, light and joy always
Linda
ps at this present moment Yogi is enjoying a small portion of a tin of
pilchards in tomato sauce which he has always loved from a kitten.