Duffy is a TV star

Old January 16th 04, 08:13 AM
MaryL

Default Duffy is a TV star

This has been an exciting day -- one where we went from an almost-certain
death sentence for two little blind kittens to one where a promise has been
made that they will not be euthanized. When I was first contacted, the
person who called me said that both cats were to be euthanized the following
day if a home could not be found immediately. In the space of an evening, we
were able to change the plan so that I would be interviewed on TV in an
attempt to find a home for the kittens, both kittens would be vetted, and
the kittens absolutely will not be euthanized!

Here's the story: I was interviewed for the local TV station today because
the animal shelter has two blind kitties (one blind in both eyes and the
other blind in one eye). Duffy was the star attraction, as we were trying to
demonstrate that he is able to do almost everything a sighted cat can do.
The two kittens will only be available for adoption as a pair because the
little kitten (about 10 weeks old) that is blind in both eyes is very
dependant on his brother. I am delighted about the whole turn of events.

Duffy was so accommodating that he demonstrated for the camera what I had
just described to the reporter - that is, that he would start to come down a
pole head-first somewhat like a squirrel, then swing his hips around and
back the rest of the way down somewhat like a bear. He was a delight! My
"dream" is that we will find adoptive care givers from this TV segment and
possibly also convince others in the community to accept the care of
handicapped cats. Many people have the impression that it is a "chore" to
take on a blind cat, but it's not. As I said earlier, Duffy can do almost
anything that a sighted cat can do. The interview went very well, and the
reporter was really impressed with what she saw. The reporter did an
outstanding job. She filmed the kittens at the shelter, an interview with a
local vet who explained that the problem was a neurological one in which the
eyes failed to develop properly, my interview, and a short follow-up by two
local news anchors.

My purpose in writing is to encourage those of you who are reading this to
consider adopting a handicapped cat if you have plans to adopt a cat. It isn
't necessary to get a physically "perfect" cat in order to have a wonderful
companion. In fact, I cannot imagine a more playful, loving cat than Duffy.

(I recently posted a few more photos of Duffy and Holly. They can be seen if
you scroll down to the bottom of the second page under my signature.)

--
MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Holly and Duffy:
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old January 16th 04, 02:12 PM
Victor Martinez

Thank you for helping save these little guys! And let's hope they find a
good home soon, I'm sure their future slaves are out there somewhere.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 16th 04, 02:30 PM
lrulan

wonderful news about the blind kitties. We will purr and pray that both
are adopted SOON by a loving family.
Jazz & his mama
--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old January 16th 04, 03:03 PM
Sherry

That's a wonderful story, Mary. Thanks for sharing. I really admire what you're
doing.

Shery
Old January 16th 04, 03:03 PM
Sherry