My cat has sores on her nose!

Old October 4th 03, 12:58 AM
Frank Klein

Default My cat has sores on her nose!

Hi,

Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
small sores on her nose. They are scabbed, and have progressed from the
area between her nose proper and her forehead, and are now going toward
her lips. I called the vet, and after I described the problem in
detail, she suggested that they are mosquito bites ("I'd put money on
it," she said)... we do have a lot of mosquitoes here, but I do not
think that is it. I have been watching this to see if it was getting
better, but it is not... it is spreading. The spots are enlarging
slowly, but more importantly, more keep appearing around the edges of
the cluster. Soon her whole whisker area will be affected if I do not
stop it.

The patches are little bald spots with small scabs on them. She does
not appear to be in pain or itchy there; she shows no abnormal reaction
when I gently pet her nose (she is not fond of being touched that close
to her eyes generally, although sometimes, if she is in the mood, she
likes to be gently stroked from her nose to her forehead). I have not
seen her scratching at or otherwise favoring the affected area.

I took a digital photo and uploaded it to the following URL:

http://home.att.net/~ascaris1/nose.jpg

The spots appear more brilliant looking than they really are because of
the flash, and the image is a little blurry. Unfortunately, my digital
camera cannot take really close-up pictures as it has only a fixed-focus
lens. I tried taking a whole series of photos at differing distances,
and this one was the one that showed the problem the best. The ones
that were in focus didn't show the spots much at all.

I have one other cat in the house, and he is not affected. It seems to
be some sort of parasite, but I do not know where she would have picked
it up. She does not have contact with any outside animals. Both cats
get to go out onto the second-floor patio whenever they want (the glass
door is kept open a bit to let them in and out), which they enjoy
greatly, and they know better than to jump all the way down (it's too
far) and they have never attempted it. I don't see how any non-flying
animals would be able to get up there from the ground; there is no fence
or anything like that below which would allow an animal to get closer to
the patio before attempting a jump, and the supports are made of smooth
metal and cannot be climbed by any animal that uses only claws to
support its weight when climbing. Birds could land on the patio, but
they usually don't, certainly not with the cats there and the door open.

Ideas appreciated,
Frank

Old October 4th 03, 01:11 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:58:24 GMT, Frank Klein
wrote:

[...]

Why not take her to the Vet -- much better than a phone call.! hey
can take a scraping and look at it under the microscope. MLB

Old October 4th 03, 01:12 AM
John Kimmel

One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
local cats are affected.

http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/we...tock/crop1.jpg
http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/we...tock/crop2.jpg

Here's how I figured out it was mosquito bites:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultan...-A121-S861-S67

When I took the cat to the vet, they said "I don't know what it is, but
we'll do a biopsy for $300. Or you can go to a cat allergist who will
charge you $85 to walk in the door. $25 please." So your vet's better
than mine.

--
John Kimmel

girls = time x money

time = money

girls = money x money = money²

money = the root of all evil = ¬/evil

girls = (¬/evil)²

girls = evil

Old October 4th 03, 02:36 AM
MacCandace

One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
local cats are affected.

Wow, your poor kitty looked awful in those pics. I wonder why some cats are so
susceptible and others are not. It must itch like crazy. What part of the
country are you from?

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)