sugar content of dry food

Old October 30th 04, 01:04 PM
Paul O.

Default sugar content of dry food

Have been following the threads on the dry food Vs canned and wondering how
the sugar content in dry food is listed. I have been feeding Waltham's Renal
LP dry and pouch. Can't seem to find in all the tiny print a sugar content
in the dry food, unless the sugars are in a combination of other
ingredients. The cat always seems to prefer the dry foods over wet, but have
been giving only about 1/4 cup in the evening. In the morning he gets a 3
oz. pouch and in the afternoon he gets another 3oz. pouch, then before I go
to bed I put down a 1/4 cup of dry. Thanks for your help.

--
Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

Old October 31st 04, 04:53 AM
Rhonda

Hi Paul,

I've been frustrated with that, too. I was looking for carb content and
it's not listed on labels.

Below is a table put together of protein/fat/carb contents of many
different brands. I think carb content is as close as you're going to
get to sugar content.

I included the link for canned food, too. -Rhonda

http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

Old October 31st 04, 11:45 AM
Paul O.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Hi Paul,

I've been frustrated with that, too. I was looking for carb content and
it's not listed on labels.

Below is a table put together of protein/fat/carb contents of many
different brands. I think carb content is as close as you're going to get
to sugar content.

I included the link for canned food, too. -Rhonda

http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/dryfood.html
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

Thanks Rhonda, definitely a difference between the Renal LP pouch and the
LP dry.

Old October 31st 04, 03:16 PM
Steve Crane

"Paul O." wrote in message .com...
Have been following the threads on the dry food Vs canned and wondering how
the sugar content in dry food is listed. I have been feeding Waltham's Renal
LP dry and pouch. Can't seem to find in all the tiny print a sugar content
in the dry food, unless the sugars are in a combination of other
ingredients. The cat always seems to prefer the dry foods over wet, but have
been giving only about 1/4 cup in the evening. In the morning he gets a 3
oz. pouch and in the afternoon he gets another 3oz. pouch, then before I go
to bed I put down a 1/4 cup of dry. Thanks for your help.

Paul,
There are very few instances where "sugar" is an ingredient in pet
foods. In semi-moist cat and dog foods, sugars can be the method of
preserving the food. Soft kibble, semi moist kibble is often made with
sugars as the preservative agent and what allows the kibble ot remain
"soft". There are not too many of those on the market.
That said, all pet foods will contain some sugars of some kind,
usually in the form of fructose or dextrose that are native nutrients
within the grains or veggies in the food. No manufacturer I am aware
of bothers to publish the values for the sugars contained within the
finished foods that are derived from the ingredients themselves.

Old October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
Paul O.

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
om...
Paul,

There are very few instances where "sugar" is an ingredient in pet
foods. In semi-moist cat and dog foods, sugars can be the method of
preserving the food. Soft kibble, semi moist kibble is often made with
sugars as the preservative agent and what allows the kibble ot remain
"soft". There are not too many of those on the market.
That said, all pet foods will contain some sugars of some kind,
usually in the form of fructose or dextrose that are native nutrients
within the grains or veggies in the food. No manufacturer I am aware
of bothers to publish the values for the sugars contained within the
finished foods that are derived from the ingredients themselves.

Thanks Steve, appreciate the info.

Old November 1st 04, 06:41 PM
Steve Crane

Rhonda wrote in message ...
Hi Paul,

I've been frustrated with that, too. I was looking for carb content and
it's not listed on labels.

Rhonda,
There is a pretty simple way to get a very close approximation of
the carb content of any food. You won't be off by more than a point or
two one way or the other.

Add up the label values, for example:

Protein 30%
Fat 20%
Fiber 3%
Moisture 10%
Ash 4% (ash will only show up in cat foods, not dog foods)

Total of the percentages is 67%, the remainder is carbs.
100%-67%= 37% carbs.

Do not add in vitamins, Omega fatty acids, or anything listed other
than the 5 items above for cat foods. (4 items for dog foods)

Vitamins are too small to worry about, essential fatty acids like
Omega 3's etc are already counted in the total fat content.