Bizarre switch in behavior.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:10 AM
RobZip

Default Bizarre switch in behavior.

Nacho and Spot are 8 months old now and getting really big. Both are
recently neutered and exceed 10 pounds. Their mom, Sammy, was spayed soon
after the kittens were weaned. She has gotten more active, involved with the
household in general, playful, and a lot sweeter with the human occupants as
well. She's also holding her weight nicely.

There have been times when I've observed Nacho trying to nurse on Sammy.
Infrequent for sure but still, he tries now and then. Sammy will quickly
swat him away and leave. However, a few times now when the boys are
roughhousing and Nacho gets body slammed or collides with something
painfully, Sammy will go to him, groom and comfort him. She then tries to
NURSE on Nacho! I wasn't sure I could trust my eyes about what I was seeing
but it's been repeated a few times in the past few weeks. This only seems to
happen when Sammy has comforted Nacho after some sort of distress and even
then, not every time. Anybody got a theory on what's up with mom?

Old February 22nd 05, 05:55 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 03:10:07 +0000, RobZip wrote:

[...]

I hope you solve that puzzle ---weird! Best Wishes. MLB

Old February 23rd 05, 12:13 AM
Spot

I have a dog who took my oldest kitten when I brought him home and she
nursed him for a while even though he was weaned from his mother. 7 years
later she will still let him nurse for a few minutes every night. She's
never taken to any of the other cats like she did Squeekers and she feels
he's her baby. You can clearly see if because if I yell at him for knocking
something down or getting into something he shouldn't she'll come running
and then bark at him to just like she's re-inforcing what I just told him.
It's the darndest thing........

Celeste