Whine -- Another Ordeal (or Two) [LONG]

Old November 25th 05, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Whine -- Another Ordeal (or Two) [LONG]

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:24:33 -0800, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

wrote in message ne

So this middle-aged woman who falls down walking down the street
managed to get an organ out the door. It's sitting there on the front
porch now, covered in snow. Should be an interesting conversation
piece for our dinner guests tomorrow.

Tomorrow had better be peaceful and lovely.

And I wish the same for all of you, whether you celebrate Thanksgiving
or not.

What you deserve is a Thanksgiving guest tomorrow who is driving a pickup
and will haul the organ away.

Wishing you the best.

Jo

LOL, Jo. You made my day with that comment :-) It was funny,
actually, because one of our guests *did* have a truck, but said his
roommates would kill him if he brought home a *second* organ! lol!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old November 25th 05, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 24 Nov 2005 00:50:21 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 02:59:38p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
) :

Tomorrow had better be peaceful and lovely.

And I wish the same for all of you, whether you celebrate
Thanksgiving or not.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too GL. I'm sorry about Jack and Kate,
and it wasn't what you wanted, and both Shamrock and Bonnie had to
have FeLV shots for 2 years while Shadow was alive and I'm hoping
they'll never develope VAS, too. Of course theirs was because they
were at risk for FeLV.

Sometimes you have to weigh the risks, and it sounds like you did the
right thing.

About your asthma and emphysema, did you ever quit smoking for
good? I now also have a very good reason to quit smoking. I was
diagnosed with macular degeneration, and there's a vitamin/mineral
therapy that has been shown to slow down the progress, but one of
the vitamins is A (beta-carotene) which, in the high doses
necessary to help with AMD, can significantly increase the risk of
lung cancer in smokers. Hmmm...that's a tough decision - blindness
or lung cancer. **sigh** Time for both of us to quit!

Unfortunately, I haven't. I am still planning to try again. I'm so
sorry about the macular degeneration :-( May we both quit
successfully and become healthier in 2006!

Old November 25th 05, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:15:13 -0000, "Adrian" wrote:

wrote:
snip
Tomorrow had better be peaceful and lovely.

And I wish the same for all of you, whether you celebrate Thanksgiving
or not.

Ginger-lyn

If I were in your position I'd be tearing my hair out, if I had any. Purrs
for 2006 to be a *much* better year for you and your family. Have a good
Thanksgiving.

Thank you, Adrian and everyone for your kind words and purrs. They are
much appreciated!

Our feast was crazy, as usual. DH took too long with everything, and
was still cleaning the bathroom when guests arrived, which meant I
pretty much handled the entire feast myself! The turkey got done a
bit early, but came out nicely anyway. We had three guests and talked
about everything from the history of rock and roll to New Orleans to
wines. A nice time was had by all, including the cats who got their
fair share of turkey, of course! (That includes Jack and Kate who
basically didn't eat it, but sucked it down like they were little
vaccum cleaners!).

Old November 25th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 02:45:57p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

About your asthma and emphysema, did you ever quit smoking for
good? I now also have a very good reason to quit smoking. I was
diagnosed with macular degeneration, and there's a
vitamin/mineral therapy that has been shown to slow down the
progress, but one of the vitamins is A (beta-carotene) which, in
the high doses necessary to help with AMD, can significantly
increase the risk of lung cancer in smokers. Hmmm...that's a
tough decision - blindness or lung cancer. **sigh** Time for
both of us to quit!

Unfortunately, I haven't. I am still planning to try again.
I'm so sorry about the macular degeneration :-( May we both
quit successfully and become healthier in 2006!

It'll be hard, and I'm trying to come up with a plan to quit.
Actually, I'm so unfamiliar with AMD that I don't even know how
upset I should be about this. All I know is that I can't see
certain things. Other than that, I can see the computer, I can make
out the TV but not any print on it, and I can't make out road
signs. Especially if they are green with white print. I barely
passed the eye test for my license renewal. I'm 43 now, so I
suppose one day I won't be able to drive. Maybe it'll be once I
retire in 20 years, but it came on so suddenly that I wonder now?
My boss jokes about how he has to provide a way for visually
impared people to continue to work, and I know he wasn't really
joking, just trying to make light a little, but it's disconcerting
none the less, and my friends there yell at him to quit teasing.

--
Cheryl
Old November 28th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 25 Nov 2005 23:52:59 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

It'll be hard, and I'm trying to come up with a plan to quit.
Actually, I'm so unfamiliar with AMD that I don't even know how
upset I should be about this. All I know is that I can't see
certain things. Other than that, I can see the computer, I can make
out the TV but not any print on it, and I can't make out road
signs. Especially if they are green with white print. I barely
passed the eye test for my license renewal. I'm 43 now, so I
suppose one day I won't be able to drive. Maybe it'll be once I
retire in 20 years, but it came on so suddenly that I wonder now?
My boss jokes about how he has to provide a way for visually
impared people to continue to work, and I know he wasn't really
joking, just trying to make light a little, but it's disconcerting
none the less, and my friends there yell at him to quit teasing.

{{{{Cheryl}}}}

I don't know anything about it, either, but it does seem to be a scary
thing. My big eye problem is called "lattice degeneration of the
retina", which I think is a slow process. And it also means I have to
be careful and not do things like, say, skydive (like I would ever do
that!) because sudden movement risks a detachment of my retina.

Here's hoping that both our eye problems turn out to be not as bad as
we are afraid they are!

Old December 1st 05, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl
I've had eye problems myself. I've had 4 surgical ops and a laser surgery
for a macular hole since 2002.
If you would like to talk about it feel free to private mail me. You can
use the address I use on the group, I shall retrieve you from the spam trap.
I can still drive, but not at night and my employer has done adaptations to
my computer and bought a £3000 machine to enable me to read things more
easily, as well as small things like magnifiers and a special enlarging
ruler so I can still work.

Tweed

Old December 2nd 05, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed 30 Nov 2005 07:18:06p, Christina Websell wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Cheryl
I've had eye problems myself. I've had 4 surgical ops and a
laser surgery for a macular hole since 2002.
If you would like to talk about it feel free to private mail me.
You can use the address I use on the group, I shall retrieve
you from the spam trap. I can still drive, but not at night and
my employer has done adaptations to my computer and bought a
œ3000 machine to enable me to read things more easily, as well
as small things like magnifiers and a special enlarging ruler so
I can still work.

Tweed

I will write you. Thank you Tweed.

--
Cheryl
Old December 2nd 05, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default P-ing Cheryl Whine -- Another Ordeal (or Two) [LONG]

Cheryl wrote:

It'll be hard, and I'm trying to come up with a plan to quit.
Actually, I'm so unfamiliar with AMD that I don't even know how
upset I should be about this. All I know is that I can't see
certain things. Other than that, I can see the computer, I can make
out the TV but not any print on it, and I can't make out road
signs. Especially if they are green with white print. I barely
passed the eye test for my license renewal. I'm 43 now, so I
suppose one day I won't be able to drive. Maybe it'll be once I
retire in 20 years, but it came on so suddenly that I wonder now?

Sorry I am coming late to this, but wanted to comment:
Cheryl, have they determined if you have a blood vessel that is
bleeding or not? If you experienced sudden changes in vision, it is
likely that it is bleeding. If it is bleeding you need to get it
treated asap. What I have is exactly like exudative AMD (aka "wet"
AMD) but I don't have the associated macular degenration - I only have
the whacko blood vessel that bleeds ("idiopathic chorionic
neovascularization"). The good news is that they have a treatment
(Photodynamic therapy with the drug Visudyne) which is non-invasive and
seals the blood vessels quite well, especially in "younger" patients.
It is quite possible that they can keep you from losing any more
eyesight. I have had two treatments and my vessel has been sealed
since April and doesn't appear to even *want* to leak any more. knock
on wood. So there is hope in treatment!

My boss jokes about how he has to provide a way for visually
impared people to continue to work, and I know he wasn't really
joking, just trying to make light a little, but it's disconcerting
none the less, and my friends there yell at him to quit teasing.

It's scary as hell to suddenly lose vision. Email me and we can chat
more.
-L.

[News] Pet cat shot by police in bizarre ordeal Lorraine Cat health & behaviour 26 March 5th 05 12:51 AM
Wine (no no no, not whine) Advice wanted Tanada Cat anecdotes 63 March 1st 05 12:09 AM
Can I Whine? Sherry Cat anecdotes 22 January 19th 04 01:56 PM
aggressive cat [long] Fork Cat health & behaviour 36 September 10th 03 03:49 PM
Help! Cat not eating [Long] mroo philpott-smythe Cat health & behaviour 2 July 23rd 03 09:28 PM