OT Central Heating

Old October 20th 04, 02:13 AM
Jo Firey

"Doe John" wrote in message

All the rooms have vents which can be opened or closed to allow heat
through the ducts. I keep all of them closed except for downstairs the
upstairs bedroom. By keeping all the vents open, would the house heat
faster and thus save momey? Gas during the winter costs around 400
dollars a month. Very inefficient thermostat or house . Even during
the coldest months, the temperature won't approach what the thermostat
is set at.

There are two things you can mess up by doing this. Where is the furnace
getting its return air from? If it is from an unheated area it will
change
the balance of things. And where is the thermostat?

By "doing this", do you mean closing the vents or opening them all up?
Sorry I am not following.

When you close all but two vents in the system you are messing up what was
hopefully a well designed air balance system. And if at the same time the
furnace return is in an unheated area you are forcing it to heat chilled
air. It might work OK anyway and for your sake I hope it does.

Jo

Old October 20th 04, 02:24 AM
CatNipped

"Doe John" wrote in message
At what temperature do people start to turn on their central heating?
I normally wait til end of October when the daytime temp indoors is
around 55 degrees. Now it is around 57 degrees indoors in the
morning.Very cold. Catching colds constantly. I thought of turning it
on a week ago when my cat would constanty climb on top of me because I
was the best source of heat. I'm a walking elecrric blanket to
her.Feels colder now than in the past since I lost about 40 pounds
since last May.

I am *SO* jealous! It was in the high 80s here today with the humidity at
close to 100%!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 20th 04, 03:15 AM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
I am *SO* jealous! It was in the high 80s here today with the humidity at
close to 100%!

Where you at again? I get confused... ;-)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 20th 04, 04:26 AM
Rrb

Victor Martinez wrote:
bonbon wrote:

Maybe Houston, with all the people, pavement, refineries, traffic,
chili cook-offs, and BBQ pits has created it's own little climate or
global warming effect and now we don't get winter anymore. (?)

Y'all don't have winter, really. Here in Central Texas winter is very
short, and it usually starts after x-mas. This week we're having record
high temperatures, in the low 90's (mid 30's in Celsius). The A/C is
going full-blast!

Depending on which direction the storm goes that is currently hitting
Southern California you might have some relief in a few days or so. Like
us the rain might be unwelcome however. Even though we are in a drought
we really could do without it. Most of the brush hasn't grown back from
the firestorm of a year ago. So we are suffering lots of mudslides and a
good amount of flooding.