Euthanasia - not sure what to do.

Old August 4th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Euthanasia - not sure what to do.

"The Other Mike" wrote

The problem is...I think it's time to put him down....my wife doesn't.
She wants to keep trying to have him drained and is waiting for that
definitive sign that it's time. She says that since he's still
interested in eating and purrs once in a while (it's actually rare
anymore) that he's not ready. What do you think? And if you agree

This is one of the hardest decisions that a person can face next to death of
a child. In many ways, it is like the death of a child. This is why she
resists it. It's natural for her to resist this phase.

with me...how would you convince your spouse without causing
resentment ? She's had the cat since he was a kitten so in my mind,
it's her that needs to make that final decision...but I don't want the
cat to suffer waiting for it.

You are on the right track, *she* has to be ready for it or she will
(without meaning to be) 'resentful' if you push it before her time. I've
literally heard of marriages failing over things like this if one takes the
high hand with the other's 'beloved pet/child'. It can certainly drive a
wedge that may be difficult to surmount.

That doesnt mean you cant talk to her about it, just reassure her first that
you will not do anything without her approval. Discuss, don't 'push'.
Don't revisit the 'discussion' every 2-3 hours until she feels forced to
agree.

Possibly the best avenue this time might be to talk to the vet privately to
get a real feel for the cat's comfort level. Purring is *not* a sign that
means what you may think. Cats purr still while in horrible pain. It is
possible the cat is not in pain but very lethargic and will just drift off.
If it's hopeless and the vet knows it and the cat is in pain, have him tell
her that straight up.

Basically say your piece after talking with the vet, then shut up and be
supportive.

Anyways, thats how I'd handle it.