(OT) Stumped! (PC Issue)

Old May 26th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

Default (OT) Stumped! (PC Issue)

I haven't been able to find an answer to this problem which has been going
on for months and driving me bananas! Hope someone can help....

I manage numerous websites of all kinds and lately I cannot access one of
them from my PC. I can access it from Dave's PC which is on the same
internet connection, but not from my own. We have almost identical setups -
Windows XP, similar programs and options enabled.

I try to access the site with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. No matter
which browser I use, I see a lenghty message that basically says the site is
"under construction".

I've tried clearing the caches and temp files, temporary internet files,
shutting down and restarting browsers, shutting down and restarting the
computer, clearing cookies, browser history, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing works, nothing changes.

It was especially irritating today cuz I had to update the site which
involved running back and forth from Dave's computer to mine.

I sure would appreciate any help to find the answer.

Old May 26th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Do you have it blocked through your firewall or under your internet settings

Try loading your internet with out any add-ons if you can access it you
need to reset your settings to default

et...

Old May 26th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Matthew" wrote

| Do you have it blocked through your firewall or under your internet
settings

What would I see if I did have it blocked and tried to access it? Would I
see the following?:

--------------------------------
Under Construction

The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It
may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.

Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try
contacting the Web site administrator.

If you are the Web site administrator and feel you have received this
message in error, please see "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content" in IIS
Help.

To access IIS Help
a.. Click Start, and then click Run.
b.. In the Open text box, type inetmgr. IIS Manager appears.
c.. From the Help menu, click Help Topics.
d.. Click Internet Information Services.
-----------------------------

| Try loading your internet with out any add-ons if you can access it you
| need to reset your settings to default

I have no idea what you mean with the above comment.

Old May 26th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
Under Construction

The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It
may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.

This message looks like it's from an IIS server. As an admin, you
probably know of default pages that under certain configurations get
served when you specify a "directory" type URL. For example, if I go
to http://www.google.com, what the server may actually be giving you
is the contents of an "index.html" file. In IIS, the default file can
also be called "default.htm", IIRC.

So if the particular page you accessed doesn't have such a file, you
can specify a different URL on that server. Navigate around on Dave's
computer, get a reasonable looking URL, and type that into your own
computer, and bookmark it.
Old May 26th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Takayuki" wrote

| "Pat" wrote:
| Under Construction
|
| The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page.
It
| may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.
|
| This message looks like it's from an IIS server.

No idea what that means!!

If *you* go to www.google.com, why would the server give *me* anything?

| is the contents of an "index.html" file. In IIS, the default file can
| also be called "default.htm", IIRC.

What does this have to do with my problem?

| So if the particular page you accessed doesn't have such a file, you
| can specify a different URL on that server. Navigate around on Dave's
| computer, get a reasonable looking URL, and type that into your own
| computer, and bookmark it.

Every page on the domain comes up with the message I showed above.

I made the entire site. I can view the entire site on Dave's computer,
including the index.html. The site has a user forum with over 1k members and
tens of thousands of posts. I just finished moving the whole site to a new
server, including the forum. Everything is there, but I can't see any of it
on my own PC, and I can't figure out why.

Old May 26th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
I made the entire site. I can view the entire site on Dave's computer,
including the index.html. The site has a user forum with over 1k members and
tens of thousands of posts. I just finished moving the whole site to a new
server, including the forum. Everything is there, but I can't see any of it
on my own PC, and I can't figure out why.

It's actually very fortunate that you can have two computers that
behave differently. That'll be the key to figuring out the problem.
Since the error message is from the server, the difference has to come
down to what is being sent from your computer vs. Dave's. In other
words, it'll be something at the IP or HTTP level.

I recommend using a network protocol analyzer such as the open source
Wireshark (www.wireshark.org) to debug this problem.
Old May 26th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Takayuki" wrote

| it'll be something at the IP or HTTP level.

Again, no idea what this means.

| I recommend using a network protocol analyzer such as the open source
| Wireshark (www.wireshark.org) to debug this problem.

I wouldn't have a clue how to use a program like that.

Old May 26th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

On a hunch, I searched the registry on my machine for the domain name that I
cannot access. I found a bunch of entries pertaining to some email accounts
but those are not relevant so I kept searching. Then I found a key called
HKEY_CURRENT_USER / SOFTWARE / MICROSOFT / WINDOWS/ CURRENT VERSION /
INTERNET SETTINGS / ZONEMAP / DOMAINS with a value of four. I looked this up
and found it's connected with a program called Spybot Search&Destroy and
there was a lengthy list of "unsafe" domains. The one I manage was included
in this list. It's in no way unsafe, so I have no idea why it was in the
list, and I deleted it. Then I restarted the computer and tried again to
access the site. With the same result.... So I uninstalled Spybot and
restarted the computer again. The above registry key was still present and
all the sites still there, except for the one I deleted. But I still can't
access the site!

Old May 26th 09, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I manage numerous websites of all kinds and lately I cannot access one of
them from my PC. I can access it from Dave's PC which is on the same
internet connection, but not from my own. We have almost identical setups -
Windows XP, similar programs and options enabled.

I try to access the site with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. No matter
which browser I use, I see a lenghty message that basically says the site is
"under construction".

I've tried clearing the caches and temp files, temporary internet files,
shutting down and restarting browsers, shutting down and restarting the
computer, clearing cookies, browser history, etc. etc. etc.

Are you accessing the site via a proxy server? If so, do what it
takes to access it directly instead. The proxy may not be updating
itself right.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old May 26th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote

| Are you accessing the site via a proxy server?

No.

I'm stumped... Pat Cat anecdotes 35 June 8th 07 03:04 AM
Cat Issue Muddypaws Cat health & behaviour 8 June 6th 07 09:43 AM
Experienced Cat Owner is Stumped [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 October 24th 06 01:52 AM
Cat's Eye Draining...Vet stumped Laura Shoemake via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 6 March 7th 05 06:57 PM
Cat has crusty nose, vets are stumped, any ideas? Willows Cat health & behaviour 16 February 27th 04 06:30 AM