Boyfriend does an Otis

Old July 1st 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfriend does an Otis

I am a dreadful sleeper and after spending most of the previous night awake
and then working all day I was looking forward to unconsciousness last
night.
I was woken up at 4 a.m. by Boyfriend meowing loudly outside my bedroom
door. It was just getting light and I did not appreciate it one bit. "Go
away" I said with a tone in my voice. He did. For ten minutes. I was just
dropping off to sleep again and MEOW pause MEow pause...etc.
I told him in no uncertain terms in a very irritated voice that if he didn't
want a clip round his ear he should go away until later. 20 minutes later
he was back and started up again. Meow, get up, Meow, meowmie, get up
NOW.."
I started to worry then. I thought what if the house is on fire downstairs
or there's a flood or something and he's trying to warn me (given that he's
never done this before.) ~sort of like Lassie with her Tommy's down the
well thing ;-)
So I stumbled down the stairs to put the fire out or call the fire brigade
or something. There was no fire or flood.

Do you know what he did???? He marched over to his food bowl, smirked, and
said "any chance of breakfast yet, meowmie, seeing as you're up now?"

I was livid. I picked him up and put him in the conservatory and shut the
back door. As I went back to bed I could hear him wowling to come back in.
There's a cat bed in there, he can get outside, and the weather is warm, I
knew he would be ok.

When I got up and opened the back door he rushed inside. I told him very
firmly that he must not wake me in the night, as it's meowmie who gets him
the money for toonas and she cannot do it if he wakes her by being a
greedyboy.
It's not a punishment for him to be put in the conservatory, it's just to
make him realise that he will not be fed if he wakes me 4 a.m.
If I *had* fed him at 4 a.m. it would have reinforced his idea that it's OK
to wake me up to feed him, which it isn't. Instead he had a negative
experience and I doubt he will do it again.
Let's see what happens tomorrow. Will he wake me at 4 a.m for breakfast? I
don't think he will.
Let's start a book, who thinks he will and who thinks he won't.
Would be interesting to see who would had let their cat get away with it.

Tweed

Old July 1st 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

He might let you sleep in 'till 4:30 tomorrow. eg
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 1st 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 1, 9:04 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Do you know what he did???? He marched over to his food bowl, smirked, and
said "any chance of breakfast yet, meowmie, seeing as you're up now?"

I was livid. I picked him up and put him in the conservatory and shut the
back door. As I went back to bed I could hear him wowling to come back in.
There's a cat bed in there, he can get outside, and the weather is warm, I
knew he would be ok.

Let's start a book, who thinks he will and who thinks he won't.

Would be interesting to see who would had let their cat get away with it.

Is there some Merkin word for a conservatory? It sounds like
(conserve) maybe
a pantry? Nah, you wouldn't stick him in a pantry, unless in the UK
they are
very big. Besides....we keep *food* in pantries!

A conservatory is a room made of glass, often attached to the back of your
house.. I don't know what it's called in American.
A pantry is something else.

Tweed

Old July 1st 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA

hopitus kirjoitti:
Is there some Merkin word for a conservatory? It sounds like
(conserve) maybe
a pantry? Nah, you wouldn't stick him in a pantry, unless in the UK
they are
very big. Besides....we keep *food* in pantries!

I would hazard a guess that it's a kind of "winter garden" or "green
room" - a glassed in verandah/porch kinda thingy where one might grow
plants in pots and maybe have some furniture so one might take a meal
when the weather's nice etc. Kinda like a balcony in an apartment, but
probably big as a room.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old July 1st 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
[...]

My bet is that if you are tired enough you will put him in the
conservatory before you go to bed.

Jo

Old July 1st 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Usually here it would be a sun porch. If you are high toned and
live in the north east you might call it a conservatory. Often the
room where you would keep house plants, and one you might well not
heat in the winter.

Jo

Old July 1st 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jul 1, 11:56*am, Christine BA wrote:

I would hazard a guess that it's a kind of "winter garden" or "green
room" - a glassed in verandah/porch kinda thingy where one might grow
plants in pots and maybe have some furniture so one might take a meal
when the weather's nice etc. Kinda like a balcony in an apartment, but
probably big as a room.

That is what I have, an enclosed balcony, aka an atrium.
It is Rusty's room where he sleeps, eats,
and uses his litter box. The door is closed at night and he waits
patiently for me
to get up in the morning to let him out andd feed him.

Winnie
Old July 1st 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:
snippers
Let's see what happens tomorrow. Will he wake me at 4 a.m for breakfast? I
don't think he will.
Let's start a book, who thinks he will and who thinks he won't.
Would be interesting to see who would had let their cat get away with it.

I think you have a better chance of teaching him manners if you ignore
him completely when he meows outside your door. Don't yell back at him,
not even to tell him to shut up. He will be pleased at any kind of
attention, even if it's negative. It will encourage him to continue.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old July 1st 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I am a dreadful sleeper and after spending most of the previous night awake
and then working all day I was looking forward to unconsciousness last
night.

(snippage)
If I *had* fed him at 4 a.m. it would have reinforced his idea that it's
OK to wake me up to feed him, which it isn't. Instead he had a negative
experience and I doubt he will do it again.
Let's see what happens tomorrow. Will he wake me at 4 a.m for breakfast?
I don't think he will.
Let's start a book, who thinks he will and who thinks he won't.
Would be interesting to see who would had let their cat get away with it.

Tweed

Persia wakes me at 6AM, but that's what time I used to get up to go to work.
She's tried to get me up earlier but the answer is "It's not TIME yet!" I
don't sleep well, either, so I do not appreciate a 4AM wake-up call. If I'd
gotten out of bed to put her somewhere else, however, I wouldn't be able to
get back to sleep.

Jill