unusual behavior problem

Old March 4th 04, 09:21 AM
alienbill

Default unusual behavior problem

The latest addition to my family of wife, 3 cats and a puppy is a male
kitten about 14wks old. He's a mixed breed but looks very much like the
Aurkish Angora- longhaired, white, blue-eyed, hearing. I don't know much
about his history except that he was abused by his previous owners. He
came to us limping and emaciated, but with very good temperament. After
only a week "Yeti" seems to be doing much better and is settling in as a
happy member of the family and I have become much attached to him.

Now for the problem- his one very annoying habit is that he tries to
suckle whenever hungry or seeking attention. I am used to the kneading
thing with the front paws, but along with this our guy will try to
suckle fingers, toes, ears, or just about any area of exposed skin
whenever handled. He also drinks from the water bowl in this same loud
manner.

I had never seen this behavior before. A co-worker tells me she had a
cat which did this and never stopped as it grew older. I assume maybe he
was weaned too early, or has some insecurity problem due to his short
past, but how does one go about correcting this? Thanks for any advice.

bill

__

Old March 4th 04, 01:58 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
The latest addition to my family of wife, 3 cats and a puppy is a male
kitten about 14wks old. He's a mixed breed but looks very much like the
Aurkish Angora- longhaired, white, blue-eyed, hearing. I don't know much
about his history except that he was abused by his previous owners. He
came to us limping and emaciated, but with very good temperament. After
only a week "Yeti" seems to be doing much better and is settling in as a
happy member of the family and I have become much attached to him.

Congrats on the new addition!
(Yeti - that's so cute)

Now for the problem- his one very annoying habit is that he tries to
suckle whenever hungry or seeking attention. I am used to the kneading
thing with the front paws, but along with this our guy will try to
suckle fingers, toes, ears, or just about any area of exposed skin
whenever handled. He also drinks from the water bowl in this same loud
manner.

I had never seen this behavior before. A co-worker tells me she had a
cat which did this and never stopped as it grew older. I assume maybe he
was weaned too early, or has some insecurity problem due to his short
past, but how does one go about correcting this? Thanks for any advice.

Some cats grow out of this. My friend's cat stopped by the time she was
a year old. Some cats don't grow out of it, and it becomes almost an OCD
type of behaviour. Medication can help, as can behaviour modification.
I'd wait to see if he grows out of it before giving him any meds or
seeing the vet about it. He may just need time to learn that he's secure
and loved now.

Got pics?

~kaeli~
Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old March 4th 04, 01:58 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old March 4th 04, 07:55 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:21:48 -0600, (alienbill)
wrote:

[...]

The thought that came to me is : does he have the persian-type nose?
Any breathing problem? You said he had been abused, so he obviously
needs llots of comforting and reassurance. Just pick him up often and
pet him whenever you can. He will probably outgrow it. Best of luck.

Old March 4th 04, 09:26 PM
Sharon Talbert

I don't hold much hope that your sweet Yeti will ever stop the
thumb-sucking. Just consider it as part of his charm.

I am not one of those who believe that over-early weaning contributes to
this behavior. In years of fostering cats from the streets and alleys,
I've seen as many (if not more) thumbsuckers develop from loving families,
where the momcat allowed prolonged suckling long after she dried up and
was spayed.

You might try diverting some of that behavior to a towel or other prop
when you hold Yeti, to give him the outlet he seems to need and save a
soaking. He may eventually "wean," but I wouldn't count on it,
poor guy.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old March 4th 04, 11:12 PM
Mary

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

I don't hold much hope that your sweet Yeti will ever stop the
thumb-sucking. Just consider it as part of his charm.

I think it is totally adorable.