Rufous' close call

Old October 12th 03, 03:06 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Rufous' close call

Maya woke me up early this morning by pushing the fish food containers
from the stand to the floor. She is our official "gravity tester". I went
back to sleep thinking nothing of it. Some time later, we woke up to the
sound of something crashing around under the bed. We figured it was just
the cats wrestling or something, but the sound would not stop and it
sounded serious. We turned the light on and saw that Rufous had his head
caught in a relatively small fish food container! He was running around
banging his head all over the place. We managed to grab him and pull the
food container from his head. He just sat there, panting and being
non-responsive. I was very concerned and grabbed my vet manual to check
for signs of danger. It was a good 10 minutes until he stopped panting,
and for a few minutes his eyes seemed to not respond to light. I called
the emergency vet clinic and they told me to observe him for a few more
minutes, that it was probably just very scared. "If he's still panting in
10 minutes, bring him over", the lady on the phone said. I told Tom to get
dressed in case we had to drive to the ER.
Thankfully, Rufous started calming down a bit, and paying attention to his
surroundings. He didn't want anything to eat at first, so I just held him
for about an hour. Then he started purring, very loud, while still
breathing hard. Finally he got up and went to have some breakfast. He's
now asleep with his brother on the window perch.
Not a good way to start a Sunday morning! He almost gave me a heart
attack! I'm just very thankful he's ok.

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old October 12th 03, 04:03 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Not a good way to start a Sunday morning! He almost gave me a heart
attack! I'm just very thankful he's ok.

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

I'm glad it didn't proveto be anything major. Purrs coming for the
little guy to stay safe and healthy.

Dan

Old October 12th 03, 04:03 PM
Karen

in article , Victor M.
Martinez at
wrote on 10/12/03 9:06 AM:

[...]

Awww. Poor guy. That happened to Sugar about that age, only she got caught
in a grocery bag handle. Scary

Karen

Old October 12th 03, 04:17 PM
Marina

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote
Maya woke me up early this morning by pushing the fish food containers
from the stand to the floor. She is our official "gravity tester".

LOL!

[...]

So glad to hear he was OK. One of those things you can laugh at later. Purrs
and scritches to the poor little guy.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 12th 03, 04:47 PM
Adrian

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
[...]

Poor Rufous, what a terrible scare. I'm very glad he's OK now.
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.

Old October 12th 03, 05:53 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

[...]

Astonishing the scrapes cats can get into when you think they're
perfectly safe! I used to have a furry mouse on a long elstic, designed
to be hung from a door-frame. The cats seemed to enjoy it, and it
appeared to be safe enough for unsupervised play .... Until the day
Melisande came bouncing into the living-room with the elastic wound
around one paw, the mouse attached. My living-room was some little
distance from the doorway containing the hanger, but the elastic had
stretched with age. Dealing with a panicked cat with elastic tightly
wrapped around one leg, when it was attached to a door frame in another
room, had me nearly as panicked as the cat. Fortunately, I had a
scissors handy, and once the overstretched elastic was cut from its base
half a room away, it was easy enough to unwind from the cat. Melly
suffered no ill effects, but there've been no more toys of that sort.
I'm not home much, so I like to have "interactive" toys she can play
with on her own, but that one didn't operate quite as intended.
Old October 12th 03, 06:25 PM
Christine Burel

Poor baby! So glad he's okay -- purrs for you both to have a calmer ending
to the weekend!
Christine
exas.edu...

Old October 12th 03, 07:37 PM
rrb_091903

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
[SNIP]

Not a good way to start a Sunday morning! He almost gave me a heart
attack! I'm just very thankful he's ok.

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

I'm glad Rufous is ok. That was quite scary I imagine. I guess you'll
have to keep the fish food tucked away from now on. My male cat Andy had
a similar thing once - only it was with a paper bag. The bag was just
small enough that it got caught on his ears, and he couldn't get his
head out! He was running backwards fast, bumping into walls, and such. I
finally caught him, and pulled the bag from his head. He was wide eyed,
and panting for a while but was ok. Even after I crumpled the bag up he
was giving it a wide berth for a while.

rrb

Old October 12th 03, 08:03 PM
Hopitus2

Worse than having a pack of toddler hoomins in your care! It would've been
ROFL if Rufous had not been so scared....poor Rufous. He probably scared all
the others while that was going on, as well.

"rrb_091903" wrote in message
: Victor M. Martinez wrote:
: [SNIP]
:

Old October 12th 03, 08:27 PM
Sam Nash

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
exas.edu...
Maya woke me up early this morning by pushing the fish food containers
from the stand to the floor. She is our official "gravity tester". I went
back to sleep thinking nothing of it. Some time later, we woke up to the
sound of something crashing around under the bed. We figured it was just
the cats wrestling or something, but the sound would not stop and it
sounded serious. We turned the light on and saw that Rufous had his head
caught in a relatively small fish food container!

snipped
What a scare for the poor baby. Glad he recovered without the need for v*t
intervention.
Sam