buffy the bulimic cat

Old June 17th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default buffy the bulimic cat

Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
if you have any success dealing with it.

Thanks,
Steve

Old June 17th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
if you have any success dealing with it.

----------
I've never tried this myself, so I don't know if it works, but I have read
that putting one or more large stones in your cat's food dish along with the
food will make it more difficult for her to get to the food, and she will be
forced to eat more slowly and with smaller bites. Then, you won't have to
supervise her eating. It goes without saying that the stone(s) should be too
large for her to take in her mouth; they are not supposed to create a
choking hazard.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old June 18th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:58:54 -0000, wrote:

Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and
if you have any success dealing with it.

Thanks,
Steve

We need a little more info Steve. How old is Buffy and when did this
start occurring?

There are quite a few reasons that cats upchuck and this article
summarizes them pretty well:

http://www.suevet.com/petEd/VomitingCats.html

My experience with Nico (the wonder cat) was IBD (as the article says,
very common).

I don't think that it has anything to do with the speed of their
eating. Cats don't seem to chew stuff very well so it often looks just
like it did when it went down. As you noticed, it looks so much like
food that someone else will likely come along and eat it. Good food
shouldn't go to waste I guess.
Old June 18th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

wrote:
Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
vomits or any other symptoms?

Old June 18th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article .com,
Rene S. wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
vomits or any other symptoms?

Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.

I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.
Old June 20th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Luna's Mom[_2_]

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article .com,
Rene S. wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

My cat buffy frequently throws up the food she has just eaten, within
20-30 mins of eating. This leaves a mess, unless my other cat eats it
up, which she is kind enough to do on most occasions.

What I notice with buffy is that she doesn't really chew her food and
she wolfs it down. Someone told me also that she might be eating too
fast so to serve smaller portions, but unless I watch over every bite
she eats, and make sure she takes time between bites, I haven't been
able to eliminate this problem.

Have you tried feeding canned food? Does she have hairballs when she
vomits or any other symptoms?

Bubba was gobbling his kibble and then throwing it back up.

I switched him to a larger kibble that he couldn't swallow without
chewing it up and he keeps it down, for the most part.

Kibble size makes no difference for Luna and her hork-habit.
I call it her hork cycle, since it happens about monthly, a few times
and then goes away. Usually, I find a hairball in there somewhere during
one of the episodes, but not all. The article about feline vomiting
pretty much explained luna in a nutshell.

Old June 20th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Luna's Mom wrote:
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article .com,
Rene S. wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Petromalt seems to help Bubba with his hairballs...
Old June 20th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Luna's Mom[_2_]

Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article ,
Luna's Mom wrote:
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article .com,
Rene S. wrote:
wrote:
[...]

in the past ive tried to give that to Luna but she usually had no
interest. maybe it's time to try again. i do use anti-hairball food,
which i do think helps a bit. it's gross though!
Old June 20th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Luna's Mom wrote:
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article ,
Luna's Mom wrote:
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
In article .com,
Rene S. wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Bubba thinks Petromalt is candy.

He'd probably snarf down a whole tube if I gave it to him.

He's not exactly a picky eater, though.