what band dry cat food you feed ?

Old July 28th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default what band dry cat food you feed ?

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

But surely it does not have be an either or thing?
Boyfie is fed mainly wet food but he does have a bit of dry every day.
His teeth were checked when he had his vacs last month and they were
fine. If it *were* an either or - it would be wet food. My cat could
manage without his teeth but not without his kidneys. The very high
protein content in dried food is a real strain on the kidneys as cats
get older.

Tweed

In the end it comes down to personal choice.

Joy

In the morning I give them (the two boys) a half can between them of
chunky
food with a lot of water mixed in

Why do you mix water into it?

Old July 28th 11, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

But surely it does not have be an either or thing?
Boyfie is fed mainly wet food but he does have a bit of dry every

day.
His teeth were checked when he had his vacs last month and they were
fine. If it *were* an either or - it would be wet food. My cat could
manage without his teeth but not without his kidneys. The very high
protein content in dried food is a real strain on the kidneys as cats
get older.

Tweed

In the end it comes down to personal choice.

Joy

In the morning I give them (the two boys) a half can between them of
chunky
food with a lot of water mixed in

Why do you mix water into it?

I am trying to insure they drink enough water in hopes it will help keep
their kidneys in the best shape possible. They lap it down in no time
when added to the food. Also since they eat half their diet in dry form
maybe it will insure they are properly hydrated.

Old July 28th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Joy" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

But surely it does not have be an either or thing?
Boyfie is fed mainly wet food but he does have a bit of dry every
day.
His teeth were checked when he had his vacs last month and they
were
fine. If it *were* an either or - it would be wet food. My cat
could manage without his teeth but not without his kidneys. The
very high protein content in dried food is a real strain on the
kidneys as cats get older.

Tweed

In the end it comes down to personal choice.

Joy

In the morning I give them (the two boys) a half can between them of
chunky
food with a lot of water mixed in (the water is the main reason for
the canned) and the rest of the day my electric feeders give them 3
small portions of the Core. I hope over time this compromise works
well. Frank is always way early (45 minutes some times) to the
dishes crying for food but Lyle has it down to a few minutes and just
waits there with no crying at all.

Waffles and Pickles were used to having dry food available all the
time, so I've continued that. In spite of that, Waffles usually
starts whining for his canned food about 5 p.m. I normally give it to
him about 6:30 p.m.

Joy

Yeah, they both dislike Saturday since I sleep a bit later and they run
up and down the bed and make a general pest of themselves until I get up
and give them their canned food.

Old July 29th 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cat Fountains (WAS: what band dry cat food you feed ?)

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

Persia loves her Drinkwell fountain. I never have to worry about her being
properly hydrated. She drinks water several times a day from the filtered
water fountain. One of the last things I hear before she joins me in bed at
night is the sound of her drinking water. One thing she's never had is
kidney problems She loves that fountain!

I got the idea because when she first came to me back in 2001 she'd try to
drink from the running faucet when I was brushing my teeth. I didn't want
to spit toothpaste on her head, so I got her her own fountain She loves
it! You might consider one for your cats. Of course they have to be
cleaned regularly and the filters changed every couple of months. But she
gets her fresh cool water and loves drinking out of the fountain. She's
happy and well hydrated

Jill

Old July 29th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/28/2011 3:19 PM, wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I just don't get the appeal of Facebook. I tried it... twice. I just
couldn't get interested. I don't want to have to be "friended" or accept or
deny "friend requests". Guess I'm just old fashioned. With usenet I can
delete posts (or block specific senders or domains). No biggy. I'm not
into having to search out people I might know and ask permission to
communicate with them, you know?

Oh, you wouldn't have to seek out people to "friend" on Facebook. Believe
me, *they* will find *you*. And by "they", I don't mean your friends. I mean
Facebook itself. I'm constantly being hounded by "friend suggestions" which
are invariably people I don't know. This is done automatically by FB software.

Then again, I find this pretty annoying and I usually delete them. I'm also
forever getting invitations to "the event", whatever that means. It never
tells you what the event actually is. More deletions.

Is anyone on Google Plus? A friend of mine just invited me to join. She
says it's not chaotic or controlling like Facebook. They leave your privacy
settings alone, and they're not constantly changing the user interface so
that you can't find anything on your page that you used the day before.
And it's not full of hacking and viruses.

Joyce

Yep! I hate software that bugs me as much as I hate SPAM.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 29th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/28/2011 6:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

Mine *love* their Drinkwell Platinum fountain. We used to keep a tap
running for Jessie, but after a while she started using nothing but the
fountain - I guess she likes the charcoal-filtered water better than
straight tap water.

Old July 29th 11, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote in message
J J Levin wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 7/27/2011 6:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
I feed Purina in blue bag , tried indoor purina but they seem like
the
blue bag stuff.I look on the back at the analiys of things & feed
brand
that has most protien in it . Purina Kitten chow is only one I think
that has more .

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

Persia eats prescription food so what I feed her isn't very
informative.
You'll get all sorts of answers to this question, from stuff you can
only get in a pet specialty store to home cooked meals. I figure as
long
as they don't have specific health problems and like what you're
feeding
them, go for it!

Jill

*Very* diplomatic, Jill! ;

Michael, this is probably fourth on the list of subjects that will
cause,
well not a flame wars, we don't do flame wars here, but let's say a
long
discussion. It ranks just between 'indoor vs. outdoor', 'intact vs.
speutered(1)', 'claws left decently/humanely intact or "declawed"'
(it's
clear to see which side of that debate I, and probably all of us here,
are
on - but it's one of the things we're passionate about, that being the
one
"hot button" troll to use).

I believe in feeding canned food. I won't go into the pages long
reasons
why I feel that way, but here is a good, educational link about the
subject:

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Warning, it's long and technically a bit difficult, but scroll to the
bottom of the page and you'll find *numerous* cites of very prestigious
personages who contributed to the article.

(1) For Jay, that's a contraction of "spayed" and "neutered" that we
use
here to denote both/either "spayed (females)" or "neutered (male)".

Thanks. I am slowly learning the lingo.

I've always used "neutered" for both males and females, but "spayed" only
for females. Does anyone else?

Joyce

I was curious about this, as I do recall that word being used by a few
people. According to google,
(if the search was accurate)...."speuter" has been used 44 times in the
history of this newsgroup.
I don't think I've ever said it. I always just say neuter. Unless I'm
talking about a specific female, then I say "spay."
I'm not trying to be difficult, but we have a new poster and it's nice to
have a new poster who isn't a crossposter, a sock puppet, or a troll. We
want him to feel welcome, and not have the impression he has to learn a
secret lingo, or a list of subjects that he must avoid. God knows there are
some subjects that I sometimes wish *were* avoided.
rant over

Old July 29th 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/29/2011 12:10 AM, Sherry wrote:

wrote in message
J J Levin wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression.

Old July 29th 11, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

wrote in message
J J Levin wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

"Speuter" just sounds silly to me. All I can thing of is someone spewing
liquid, like when you post something funny without a BW.

(Lingo explanation: there's a tradition on this newsgroup of putting "BW"
somewhere in the subject line of a post if you think it's going to be funny.
This way, people who are drinking things while at the computer won't spew
it all over their keyboard when they read something funny. It stands for
"beverage warning".)

This would be a good time to post the FAQ link, but I don't have it.
Maybe someone else would be willing to post it? I lost a bunch of bookmarks
when I had to have my hard drive wiped last month, due to a nasty virus.

Joyce

--
I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old July 29th 11, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Within the group of (few) people still remaining on rpca, I don't think
anyone is going to disrespect anybody else's decision on *what* they feed
their cats. A "long discussion" about cat food is welcome, to me, anyway.
We've got plenty of indoor/outdoor cats here, and that's not a taboo subject
to me, either. I think Michael is welcome to raise any discussion about his
cats that he wants to.
I feed a combo of wet/dry. At the moment, we're switching from Purina Pro
Plan/ FF to Wellness.
One good thing about Purina is that it was one of the few brands unaffected
by the melamine scandal.

Sherry