What do you believe?

Old December 15th 10, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

Default What do you believe?

As many of you know, I lost my Basset Hound last month. Since then, things
have changed dramatically. First off is my male Chihuahua is now alpha male
between he and my Dachshund. My Basset, Happy, was alpha, so this is kind
of different. I want to believe that Fabio (the Chihuahua) has taken on the
alpha role b/c he was closest to Happy. With my cats, Maui, my huge
Bluepoint Siamese seems to be alpha, but he gets really wimpy around Pooh,
my 17 y.o. Calico. He'll poke at her a bit, but she gives him one look and
he backs down.

What do you believe? If you have more than one cat in your house, what is
the pecking order? Does it have to do with age?? Oscar, my Sealpoint
Siamese is 10-ish, but he definitely allows five y.o. Maui as top cat.

Who is alpha in your house?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old December 15th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
What do you believe? If you have more than one cat in your house, what is
the pecking order? Does it have to do with age?? Oscar, my Sealpoint
Siamese is 10-ish, but he definitely allows five y.o. Maui as top cat.

Who is alpha in your house?

I have three cats and don't see a pecking order. Maybe because they all
have a lot of space and can avoid each other when they need or want space.

Old December 16th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
What do you believe? If you have more than one cat in your house, what
is the pecking order? Does it have to do with age?? Oscar, my Sealpoint
Siamese is 10-ish, but he definitely allows five y.o. Maui as top cat.

Who is alpha in your house?

I have three cats and don't see a pecking order. Maybe because they all
have a lot of space and can avoid each other when they need or want space.

In the past, it has always been very clear cut which of my cats was alpha
cat. However, currently it is a bit confusing. When it comes to sitting on
my lap or getting attention with me, Waffles rules. He can make Pickles go
away from me or get off my lap at any time, and sometimes he disciplines her
by straddling her and biting the back of her neck. OTOH, when it comes to
food, Pickles is in charge. More than once I've seen her shove Waffles away
from a dish of food, and he just walks away.

Joy

Old December 16th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

[...]

That's how it was when Smudge was living in my apartment. The other
two are both bigger and more aggressive, and could easily get Smudge
to leave a comfy spot if someone else wanted it. Licky was such a
brat with her, constantly following her around and annoying her. He's
a scaredy cat, but he seemed to enjoy being the annoying younger brother.

But Smudge was the undisputed queen of the food area. She had to be
fed first, always. She would not wait while anyone else was getting food.

Isn't that strange?

JOyce

--
Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the
words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One
Old December 16th 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is. When Herbie and Skeeter were the cats I had, Herbie was smaller
but older, and he had been here first. There was no doubt he was head cat.
Shortly after he went to the bridge, I brought Lindy home. Since she was
both smaller and younger than Skeeter, and Skeeter had seniority, I assumed
Skeeter would be head cat. Ha! It didn't take two weeks for it to be plain
that Lindy was alpha cat.

Joy

Old December 16th 10, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Piglett is Boss Hog, so to speak. She is the oldest and the first.

Willow is next and she and O T are sparring partners.

O T is the biggest of them all but has the wimpest meow you ever heard. He
tries to asseert himself from time to time but the girls put him in his
place. When Scooter and Sadie were here, Piglett let the dogs be the boss,
until she said NO

Old December 16th 10, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

Yes, it is. When Herbie and Skeeter were the cats I had, Herbie was smaller
but older, and he had been here first. There was no doubt he was head cat.
Shortly after he went to the bridge, I brought Lindy home. Since she was
both smaller and younger than Skeeter, and Skeeter had seniority, I assumed
Skeeter would be head cat. Ha! It didn't take two weeks for it to be plain
that Lindy was alpha cat.

Poor Skeeter! Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Joyce

--
I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old December 16th 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:14:49 -0500, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~"
wrote:

[...]

Espy is boss. Nipsy is much bigger but mostly a wuss. Marlo (the only
girl) is fairly timid. Scooter arrived maybe 8 months ago and is the
odd guy out; none of the others are a big fan though Nipsy does give
him head bumps lately. Espy and Scooter were fighting this morning,
with Scooter actually giving that low growl that means, "I'm really
not pleased."
Old December 16th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Dec 15, 3:14*pm, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote:
As many of you know, I lost my Basset Hound last month. *Since then, things
have changed dramatically. *First off is my male Chihuahua is now alpha male
between he and my Dachshund. *My Basset, Happy, was alpha, so this is kind
of different. *I want to believe that Fabio (the Chihuahua) has taken on the
alpha role b/c he was closest to Happy. *With my cats, Maui, my huge
Bluepoint Siamese seems to be alpha, but he gets really wimpy around Pooh,
my 17 y.o. Calico. *He'll poke at her a bit, but she gives him one look and
he backs down.

What do you believe? *If you have more than one cat in your house, what is
the pecking order? *Does it have to do with age?? *Oscar, my Sealpoint
Siamese is 10-ish, but he definitely allows five y.o. Maui as top cat.

Who is alpha in your house?

This is complex. WooToo is dominant over the other cats, Sunrise and
Missy, in my room and on the landing outside my room. At one time it
was a hostile dominance but not now. They get along ok but WooToo is
much bigger and is so set in her ways that the other two don't have
much say. When either of the dogs is on the landing, WooToo does not
go out there. If Bear, big Lab, comes in my room, she hides. When
Samantha, little Shi Tzu comes in the room, WooToo hisses at her and
Samantha leaves the room. WooToo is, of course, completely dominant
over me and her Aunt Micki. The mere hoomins exist to serve.

Between themselves, Sunrise and Missy have had it sorted out for so
long that it is hard to see. When they bump each other at the fudz
dish, Sunrise gives way. But there is very little conflict and Sunrise
doesn't seem oppressed. Bear will do fake charges at either of them.
Usually the cat runs away, which satisfies Bear that he is in charge.
But sometimes the cat targeted will stop and raise a warning paw and
Bear, facing four or five poinds of feline fury, backs down. Samantha
plays with them and I think they think she's a cat. But because she is
so rambunctious they treat her like a rowdy kitten and only put up
with her so long and then either climb where she can't bother them or
see her off with a swat, no claws.

Samantha is totally and joyfully dominant over her big brofur da Bear.
She leaps on him from all angles and forces him, a dog well past
middle age, to wrestle. She has brought back his youth at the cost of
his dignity, which he will never miss.

I do what all of them tell me too because I am so dominant that I can
obey.

--
Will in New Haven
Old December 16th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

"I do what all of them tell me too because I am so dominant that I can
obey." Should have been "so dominated" that I obey.