OT - Opera

Old August 22nd 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Opera

I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking. I agree with dogs who howl when they are
subjected to such ear-splitting agony. OK, flame retardant suit donned
and ready for the opera fans. ; Really , I'm not that interested pro
or con re opera, I just heard an opera singer on "America's Got Talent"
and I have no idea whether opera singers are talented or not. I'm sure
it's just my untrained ear, but opera has always sounded like just
screaming to me. To my ear I can easily imitate what I've heard and
that's a sure sign it doesn't take talent ducking and running!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 22nd 11, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-08-22 4:15 AM, CatNipped wrote:
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking. I agree with dogs who howl when they are
subjected to such ear-splitting agony. OK, flame retardant suit donned
and ready for the opera fans. ; Really , I'm not that interested pro or
con re opera, I just heard an opera singer on "America's Got Talent" and
I have no idea whether opera singers are talented or not. I'm sure it's
just my untrained ear, but opera has always sounded like just screaming
to me. To my ear I can easily imitate what I've heard and that's a sure
sign it doesn't take talent ducking and running!

I used to think so (although I always made an exception for Gilbert &
Sullivan!), but in recent years, I've started listening to opera, and
believe me, there's some glorious music there. I've gotten addicted to
them to the point at which I go to excerpts and productions done
locally, and manage to get to the Met at the movies in HD a few times a
year.

You might not like it - there's genres of music I am happy to remain
completely ignorent about, or would be if people didn't play it in
public places - but opera isn't one of them for me.

And it's a LOT harder than you think! You can take that from someone who
can only manage to sing well enough for a non-audition community choir!

--
Cheryl
Old August 22nd 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

CatNipped wrote:

I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking.

Although my family would all cop to being hicks, we were raised with an
appreciation of opera because my father loved it. Nonetheless, we have
always referred irreverently to the bulk of his favorite albums as
"Dad's Screaming Women". :-)

If you want to sink a wedge into the idea that it always has to be that
way, try this for starters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymaRQO3jys0

--

Wayne M.
Old August 22nd 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 22, 12:45*am, CatNipped wrote:
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking. *I agree with dogs who howl when they are
subjected to such ear-splitting agony. *OK, flame retardant suit donned
and ready for the opera fans. *; *Really , I'm not that interested pro
or con re opera, I just heard an opera singer on "America's Got Talent"
and I have no idea whether opera singers are talented or not. *I'm sure
it's just my untrained ear, but opera has always sounded like just
screaming to me. *To my ear I can easily imitate what I've heard and
that's a sure sign it doesn't take talent ducking and running!

I think it depends on who is singing. Kiri Te kanawa (sp?) is so
gifted (as were Maria Callas, Nana Mouskouri, and several others
whose names are currently escaping me). There are some singers who
are like biting into tinfoil (imo), but the gifted ones more than make
up for the "shriekers".

FTR, ages ago (before a smoking habit killed it), I used to sing
opera. I didn't think I was very good, but I did get two leads at an
opera house in Maine (okay, it's Maine, I know, but still....)
Old August 22nd 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , CatNipped wrote:
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking...

I'm not familiar with that show, so it's hard to say whether or not what you
heard showed talent.

For the sake of giving something the proverbial "fair shot", why don't you
look for a CD, pehaps at the public library, with a title akin to "Best Loved
Arias" or "Favorite Arias", etc. and see if those selections appeal more than
what you just described.

Good virtuosic opera singing can be jaw-droppingly impressive.

Art
Old August 22nd 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-08-22 1:16 PM, Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
On Aug 22, 12:45 am, wrote:
[...]

Anyone remember Anna Russell? I've got her CD. She didn't quite make it
as an opera singer, but she did hilarious comedy about opera - and I'm
sure she's got jokes in there that I'm missing because I don't know
enough about music!

She's got stuff to say about different kinds of singers, too.

Bet she's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erdw-...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv7G92F2sqs

--
Cheryl
Old August 22nd 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 22, 1:45*am, CatNipped wrote:
I know I'm a no-class hick for believing so, but opera, to me, sounds
like so much shrieking. *I agree with dogs who howl when they are
subjected to such ear-splitting agony. *OK, flame retardant suit donned
and ready for the opera fans. *; *Really , I'm not that interested pro
or con re opera, I just heard an opera singer on "America's Got Talent"
and I have no idea whether opera singers are talented or not. *I'm sure
it's just my untrained ear, but opera has always sounded like just
screaming to me. *To my ear I can easily imitate what I've heard and
that's a sure sign it doesn't take talent ducking and running!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Well, I'm also a lowclass hick, but I do love *some* opera. DH doesn't
understand this, and doesn't get how one can enjoy music when you
can't understand the words. I keep telling him, it's not the words,
it's
the *emotion* that gets me. Fave girlsinger Kathleen Battles, fave
boysingers
Andrea Bocelli, Pavarotti. But I'm like the idiot-opera-fan -- I am
only familiar
with the most popular of pieces. In fact, some opera is so popular as
soundtracks in gangster movies, it reminds me of music to get whacked
by.
Still, it all goes back to emotion. Hard to explain. I'm sure our
friend Evelyn
can explain much better, as it is her passion in life and her career
that
you are dissing.

Sherry
Old August 22nd 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 22, 10:46*am, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:
[...]

Wow, Annie. That's impressive. I'd love to be able to sing *at all*,
but I can't carry a tune. I have music in my soul, though. :-)
I think you're right about *who* is singing. Some opera moves me
enough to make me almost cry and others get on my nerves.
My cat Cherokee loved Pavarotti, seriously. He used to lay on his
back in the middle of the floor. DH used to say what he was *really*
thinking was "if it thinks I'm dead, it will go away."
But I still think he liked it.

Sherry
Old August 22nd 11, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Sherry, neither you nor Catnipped are "idiot-opera-fans". You are normal
people who simply has had little exposure to opera and therefore know the
more popular pieces because they are played more often.

As a long-time (50+ years) lover of classical music (I prefer non-vocal, my
wife prefers vocal) I learned that if I allowed myself to listen to those
pieces I thought I did not like, they grew on me. For example, I love
Sibelius (a Finnish composer). Faure (a French composer) never did anything
for me. But as I listened to more and more music by Faure (on a classical
music station here) I found myself attracted to certain of his works, and
started seeking more works, and discovered that there are many Faure pieces
which are beautiful and which I came to really like very much. The same
happened to me with the British composer Edward Elgar. I knew he wrote "Pomp
and Circumstance". But then I discovered he wrote two symphonies, a haunting
cello concerto, and the incomparable ENIGMA VARIATIONS.

My advice: expose yourself to more opera. There are lighter operas, in which
there are entire ensembles and choruses, which are easier to take at first
than the "shrieking solos" :-). One of them for example is Verdi's AIDA. Or
TOSCA. The same with Wagner's overtures to his operas: beautiful orchestral
pieces which can lead you to investigate the sung operatic portions as well
(a little personal secret: I love Wagner's overtures but have little
patience for his vocal parts).

As in all things (classical music, wine tasting, embroidery, mystery novels,
whatever) give yourself some time, and cut yourself some slack. You don't
have to love everything (no one does). But the repertory of the operas you
like will expand, and that's a great gift to yourself.

Sorry if I came across as preaching or pontificating. I truly love classical
music and I am sometimes a bit overzealous.

Jay

Old August 22nd 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 22, 12:56*pm, "J J Levin" wrote:
[...]

No, you're not coming across that way at all! I was just never
exposed to
classical music growing up. Over the years I've developed a real
affinity
for it, and it pretty much started when my daughter took a music
appreication
class in her first year of college and I learned I *liked* the music
wafting out
of her bedroom. From there I've bought various CD's; I still know
nothing about
opera except I know what I like. And you're right; expanding the
repertory is
as easy as downloading from Amazon and giving it a chance. It *is* a
treat
to yourself.
Sherry

OT - Do you like Phantom of the Opera? Mischief[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 April 29th 10 07:24 AM
opera W. Leong Cat community 95 April 11th 06 03:43 PM
Am I living in a Soap Opera? Ted Davis Cat anecdotes 15 March 28th 04 08:50 PM
Cat-Boy and the Opera MacCandace Cat health & behaviour 2 February 8th 04 10:30 PM
"Emergency" purrs for an opera lover? EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) Cat anecdotes 15 November 11th 03 02:11 AM