Blood clot...

Old April 19th 04, 05:33 AM
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

Default Blood clot...

Today, my 15 year old Ragdoll kitty suddenly started to drag her right back
leg. We rushed her to the emergency 24 hour animal hospital. We were told
that "the good news is" it is not a stroke. The vet (soooo nice) said it
looks like she has thrown a blood clot. The vet said that if the clot
affected both legs, it would be very serious because it would mean that it's
probably not irreversible. But since only one leg is affected, there is a
possibility that the clot can be "broken down" with medication (she
mentioned a form of baby aspirin). Sade' seemed to be in a lot of pain, so
the vet recommended that she spend the night in the hospital to get pain
meds and medication to work on the clot. The prognosis is about 50/50. We
pick Sade' up tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. We're then rushing her to our
vet right down the street.

I am prepared for the very worse. I mean, she IS 15. You know what's
weird? I said to my husband last night that I felt that Sade' wasn't going
to around for much longer. I said that I see it in her eyes. Plus, my
little old lady is starting to look a little scruffy... and she's very bony
in here shoulders and on down her back. My husband reminded me of my good
friend, Simba. Her cat, Mimi, is a Ragdoll and she's 22 years old!!

Also, Sade' has started sleeping in my bathroom upstairs. Even when we're
home, I find her asleep on the rug, alone and in the dark. I want complete
honesty from anyone who replies. Does Sade' "know" that her time is coming?
And who has had similar problems with blood clots in cats?? ANY information
will be helpful. Even if it's not comforting... I just want to hear what
anyone in here might know.

Thank you so much,

Laurie-Lou

Old April 19th 04, 05:55 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ at
wrote on 4/18/04 11:33 PM:

[...]

I think it is, right now, very much a wait and see situation. Good vibes
going out to Sade to be comfortable.

Karen

Old April 19th 04, 12:07 PM
Linda E

No advice, just well wishes for you and Sade....

Linda

Old April 19th 04, 12:07 PM
Linda E

Old April 19th 04, 12:38 PM
Iain & Deb

In article ,
says...
[...]

My Woody threw a clot when he was 15, also. He had been hyperthyroid for
the previous two years, and we had been treating him with Tapazole, but
the vet said it was probably as a result of the hyperthyroidism that he
threw the clot. Anyway, we hoped he might recover, but the leg went
dead, and we decided it would be kinder to put him to sleep than have him
go through having his leg removed. I'm sorry I don't have a happier
story to tell, but I hope your Sade will do better.

Deb
--
Don't let perfection get in the way of 'pretty damn good'. - "Coach" Jack
Donohue

Old April 19th 04, 02:59 PM
Joe Canuck

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

[...]

It could be HCM - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Read more he http://members.aol.com/jchinitz/hcm/

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old April 19th 04, 04:03 PM
Lotte

Laurie --

I have a 14 year old with multiple health problems, and I am always in the
back of my mind worried about her, so I know how you feel... I've had many
cats over the years, and I've come to realize that death isn't the same for
them as it is for us. Of course we grieve when they are gone, but they have
a different kind of consciousness than we do, and don't fear death the way
that we do, so it's not as scary as it is for us. I think, for a cat, pain
is what they fear, not death. It could be Sade wasn't feeling well before
the clot came on, and that's why she was moping about somewhat. I know of
many cats who have lived over 20 years, especially if they receive good vet
care and care from their owners. If it does in fact turn out that it's
Sade's time to go, please rest assured that it will be much harder on you
than on her. That said, I hope it's *not* her time, and I will send good
healing thoughts your way --

Lotte