Blood clot...

Old April 20th 04, 04:32 PM
Gail

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Gail
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
om...
"Phil P." wrote in message

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
Today, my 15 year old Ragdoll kitty suddenly started to drag her

right
back
leg. We rushed her to the emergency 24 hour animal hospital. We

were
told
that "the good news is" it is not a stroke. The vet (soooo nice)

said
it
looks like she has thrown a blood clot. The vet said that if the

clot
affected both legs, it would be very serious because it would mean

that
it's
probably not irreversible. But since only one leg is affected,

there
is a
possibility that the clot can be "broken down" with medication (she
mentioned a form of baby aspirin). Sade' seemed to be in a lot of

pain,
so
the vet recommended that she spend the night in the hospital to get

pain
meds and medication to work on the clot. The prognosis is about

50/50.
We
pick Sade' up tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. We're then rushing her

our
vet right down the street.

I am prepared for the very worse. I mean, she IS 15. You know

what's
weird? I said to my husband last night that I felt that Sade'

wasn't
going
to around for much longer. I said that I see it in her eyes. Plus,

my
little old lady is starting to look a little scruffy... and she's

very
bony
in here shoulders and on down her back. My husband reminded me of

my
good
friend, Simba. Her cat, Mimi, is a Ragdoll and she's 22 years old!!

Also, Sade' has started sleeping in my bathroom upstairs. Even when

we're
home, I find her asleep on the rug, alone and in the dark. I want
complete
honesty from anyone who replies. Does Sade' "know" that her time is
coming?
And who has had similar problems with blood clots in cats?? ANY
information
will be helpful. Even if it's not comforting... I just want to

hear
what
anyone in here might know.

Thank you so much,

Laurie-Lou

My first suggestion is consult a veterinary cardiologist as soon as
possible. An echocardiogram is the first order of business.

Blood clots (arterial thromboembolism) that affect the hind limb(s)

are
almost always a complication associated with myocardial diseases in

cats -
i.e., hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) in particular. HCM has been
identified in some bloodlines of Main Coons, Persians, American

Shorthairs,
and recently, Ragdolls. (see http://www.ragdoll-cats.com/Cardio.htm).

Arterial thromboembolism has also been reported in cats with

hyperthyroidism
but the incidence is very low (3%). Hyperthyroidism causes

myocardial
hypertrophy that is very similar to and might be confused with HCM.

So
as a
precaution, have your cat's thyroid function tested.

If the clot did develop secondary to HCM, speak to your vet about the
calcium channel blocker, diltiazem. In addition to several other

benefits,
diltiazem also has antiplatelet activity and may improve left atrial
hemodynamics - which reduces the risk of blood clots. Diltiazem has

also
reduced hypertrophy in many cats which also decreases the risk of clot
formation.

For more information, please visit my site:
http://maxshouse.com/arterial_thromboembolism.htm

Best of luck,

Phil

You'll probably never hear another word from this person.

I don't know why you would even say that. There is always an asshole in
every crowd.

The vet's office called. Sade' is now panting. I didn't get to speak
directly to my vet because Tuesday morning is surgery day. The tech said
that this means another clot has formed somewhere in her lungs. I am
waiting back to hear from the office.

She will be euthanized this afternoon. Now I know what they mean about
"dying of a broken heart"...

Laurie-Lou

Old April 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Please take her to a cardiologist asap. She's panting probably because of
pulmonary edema (fluid in her lungs) caused by pulmonary venous
hypertension. The pressure causes fluid to leak into the little sacs in the
lungs (alveoli) where C02 and 02 are exchanged.

You can probably pull her through this and manage her very easily on
furosemide (Lasix) and nitroglycerin (ointment).

I am
waiting back to hear from the office.

She will be euthanized this afternoon.

Please consult a cardiologist first. Euthanasia probably isn't necessary.

Phil

Old April 22nd 04, 11:19 AM
IBen Getiner

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

pick Sade' up tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. We're then rushing her to

[...]

Laurie-Looo-oou....? You're not LivingLovingLaughing....!!

Just kidding. I'm sorry I spoke too soon about whether you would ever
show back up in here again to report the status of said cat. I was
WRONG.
Sorry again to compound pressures at your moment of grief. We love
out little boy here and we can only imagine what you're going thru.

IBen Getiner

Old April 24th 04, 08:48 AM
bluemaxx

Don't bother, Phil. This is Laurie in New York. We all know that
she won't spend any significant amount of money to control Sade's
medical problems. Remember Karat? Euthenasia is Laurie's forte.

Linda

"Phil P." wrote in message
:
: "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message