Can Cats Eat Dog Food?

Old September 5th 03, 11:47 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Jette Goldie wrote:
Trust me, if you have gallstones, or an irritable gall bladder,
eat fatty foods and suffer the effects of pancreatitis.

That's far from eating a chunk of fat and dropping down dead, isn't it?

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 6th 03, 12:30 AM
Jette Goldie

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
Jette Goldie wrote:
Trust me, if you have gallstones, or an irritable gall bladder,
eat fatty foods and suffer the effects of pancreatitis.

That's far from eating a chunk of fat and dropping down dead, isn't it?

You may WISH to drop down dead, however! (the pain is
quite ...... indescribable)(yes, I do speak from experience)

It rather depends on the state of your pancreas before
you start on that chunk of fat. Pancreatitis *can* be
fatal. I doubt that eating a particularly fatty meal would
kill anyone healthy, but if one was already at risk, who
knows? (well, a doctor might)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old September 6th 03, 10:11 PM
Jo Firey

"CK" wrote in message ...
Jette Goldie wrote:

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Jette Goldie" wrote in message

Your gall bladder, where bile is produced which is necessary to
digest fat, is located in your pancreas.

Uh, wrong!

Uh, right.

(gall stone sufferer for many years)

Well I'm inclined to agree with Jo, as the gall bladder, is located on
the under surface of the liver, whereas the pancreas, being a gland that
secrets a fluid that assists in the digestive function, is located near
the stomach.

And while we are at it, the gall bladder does not produce bile. It only stores it.
Otherwise having the gall bladder out would be a much bigger deal than it is.

Old September 6th 03, 11:45 PM
Hopitus2

Being a hospital worker and purposefully ignoring the "gallbladder,
pancreas, bile" locations/functions statements, as the slave of a now RB
diabetic cat whom I loved and treated with insulin for many years, I wish to
enlighten re "pancreatitis" that due to his diabetes this cat was subject to
repeated attacks of "pancreatitis" (inflammation of the pancreas) before his
final and life-taking session with it. Pancreas is the organ which secretes
insulin to cats and hoomins' bodies. Diabetes is a disease caused when
pancreas either quits altogether or doesn't secrete *enough* insulin for
correct bodily functions. It has nothing to do with "bile". Pancreatitis is
very painful when hoomins are suffering from it; I would assume it's the
same for cats, but who knows? It also has other causes in hoomins besides
diabetes.

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
: "CK" wrote in message
: Jette Goldie wrote:
:
: "Jo Firey" wrote in message
: ...
:

Old September 7th 03, 11:31 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old September 8th 03, 02:28 AM
Hopitus2

I, too, am type II, on oral meds for same. Never asked the vet "what kind of
diabetes" our cat had (I didn't have diabetes then) - from what I remember
of his life between diagnosis and his RB trip, it would seems indeed that
what he had was type I, like the hoomins whose pancreas has quit producing
insulin. I had to test his urine for sugar twice a day and give him (pig)
insulin am and pm after his feedings. Some hoomins who work with me have
type I and they carry a little kit around with them for testing their blood
and injecting themselves with insulin. Because of events that have happened
to them we kinda keep a close eye on these coworkers. That insulin is tricky
stuff, even though it is a hormone. With the type I's, it can kill them if
their blood sugar gets too low.

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
:
: --
: John F. Eldredge --
: PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu
: "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better

Old January 27th 05, 04:13 AM
Todd

Here is an interesting article about cat food. This author says cats
don't need carbohydrates. I didn't know that.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/tipsforchoosing.htm
Todd
http://www.shopflintriver.com

Old January 27th 05, 05:03 AM
Yowie

"Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is an interesting article about cat food. This author says cats
don't need carbohydrates. I didn't know that.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/tipsforchoosing.htm
Todd
http://www.shopflintriver.com

Cats can eat the occasional meal of dog food with no ill effects, just like
a human can eat a meal from a fast-food outlet with no ill effects. However,
*living* on the stuff is a different matter.

I've given dog food to my cat when I've run out and haven't been able to get
tot he shop before the next cat meal. However, I wouldn't be feeding my cat
dog food for a long period of time, and nor would I be feeding my dog cat
food (she gets cat food when I run out of dog food and can't get to the
store) all the time, either.

Yowie
PS, I have *no idea* what message you are actually replying to. Could you
please include at least the author and the part of the post you are
addressing next time you reply to a message here, as I have done above with
your message, please?

Old January 27th 05, 07:39 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Todd wrote:

Here is an interesting article about cat food. This author says cats
don't need carbohydrates. I didn't know that.

They "manufacture" their own, being true carnivores. (Just
as most animals do not need vitamin C in their diets because
their bodies make it.)

Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Cats and Food Seanette Blaylock Cat anecdotes 1 August 20th 03 10:37 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM
Feeding dilemma Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 4 July 22nd 03 08:31 PM