Houston Humane Society offering Valentine's Day special to "declaw cats"

Old February 11th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Houston Humane Society offering Valentine's Day special to "declaw cats"

This is disgusting! I wrote a few days ago in a thread in h+b to defend
some of the HSUS practices, but this is absolutely revolting. Read what the
Houston Humane Society (note: Houston, not the national HSUS) is advertising
as a "Valentine's Day special" for cats (free neutering accompanied by a
*reduced rate for front paw declawing*):

"We will be neutering 300 male cats only (NO FEMALES) that day. There will
be no general public surgery-other than the male cats. We will be declawing
only a small amount of male cats for the normal price of $60 (front paws
only)."

The flyer also says, "Show your cat you love him on Valentine's Day by
helping him live a longer, healthier life."
In other words, they are really saying: show your cat you love him by
mutilating his front feet.

I am going to contact them and let them know exactly what I think. You can
see the flyer advertising this "special"
he http://www.houstonhumane.org/spay.aspx
Here is the number they listed to schedule appointment and receive
pre-operative instructions: 713-433-6421
And here is the email address they listed for support and donations:

I cross-posted this message to several cats newsgroups. I am posting it
separately to rpca because I know there are some readers on this newsgroup
who do not read cross-posted messages. I think it is an abomination for a
"humane society" to perform declawing, and I hope some of you will write or
call.

--
MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 11, 12:44�pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
This is disgusting! *I wrote a few days ago in a thread in h+b to defend
some of the HSUS practices, but this is absolutely revolting. *

I doubt they are affiliated with the HSUS in any way. "Humane Society"
is just a name, just a synonym for "animal shelter".... No local
humane societies are a part of the HSUS, AFAIK.

But that *is* the most appalling thing I have ever heard of. I just
can't wrap my brain around *any* organization calling itself a "humane
society" advocating declaw. "Show your cat you love him" !!!???? I'm
firing off an e-mail *and* snail mail, today.

Sherry

Old February 11th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Houston Humane Society offering Valentine's Day special to "declaw cats" - slight correction

[...]

Once again, I let my fingers move faster than my brain. The Houston Humane
Society is not advertising a "special rate" on declawing. The special is
for free neutering, but declawing can also be done at the "regular rate" of
$60.00. If anything, though, that makes it *even worse* to think that the
Humane Society would think of declawing as a "normal" thing to do and would
even sponsor it. I think I am going to be sick!!

--
MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

ups.com...
wrote:
This is disgusting! I wrote a few days ago in a thread in h+b to defend
some of the HSUS practices, but this is absolutely revolting.

I doubt they are affiliated with the HSUS in any way. "Humane Society"
is just a name, just a synonym for "animal shelter".... No local
humane societies are a part of the HSUS, AFAIK.

But that *is* the most appalling thing I have ever heard of. I just
can't wrap my brain around *any* organization calling itself a "humane
society" advocating declaw. "Show your cat you love him" !!!???? I'm
firing off an e-mail *and* snail mail, today.

Sherry

Yes, that is correct, and I should have mentioned it in my mesages. The
link I posted is to the Houston Humane Society. I went to the HSUS page and
could not find anything similar. In fact, there are a number of links there
in opposition to declawing:
http://www.hsus.org/
http://www.hsus.org/search.jsp

--
MaryL

Old February 11th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda

I know what you mean. I sent an email and I almost called them the
"Inhumane Society" but figured they'd stop reading right there.

Rhonda

Old February 12th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

This is disgusting! I wrote a few days ago in a thread in h+b to defend
some of the HSUS practices, but this is absolutely revolting. Read what the
Houston Humane Society (note: Houston, not the national HSUS) is advertising
as a "Valentine's Day special" for cats (free neutering accompanied by a
*reduced rate for front paw declawing*):

"We will be neutering 300 male cats only (NO FEMALES) that day. There will
be no general public surgery-other than the male cats. We will be declawing
only a small amount of male cats for the normal price of $60 (front paws
only)."

I didn't think ANY reputable vets declawed, any more!
Although cats are very adaptable, and a declawed cat will
climb and "sharpen" its claws and knead and behave just like
any other cat, declawing DOES involve amputating toes. My
little Cendrillon (declawed before I met her) sometimes
walks as though her feet hurt, and I suspect they may.
Old February 12th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
"We will be neutering 300 male cats only (NO FEMALES) that day.
There will be no general public surgery-other than the male cats. We
will be declawing only a small amount of male cats for the normal
price of $60 (front paws only)."

Response from Houston Humane Society:

Ms. McQuown-

The Houston Humane Society does not in any way PROMOTE the declawing of
cats. We understand the harsh realities of the procedure and the rare
but problematic side effects that can occur. Our employees suggest
other alternatives whenever possible, and we only offer declawing at the
time of spay and neuter surgery to eliminate unnecessary time under
anesthesia, and to deter people from declawing cats mindlessly before
considering alternatives.

We provide declawing surgery because we feel that the only thing more
risky than declawing a cat is abandoning a cat for destructive
scratching behavior that doesn't respond well to repeated deterrents.
We encourage our clients and potential adopters to try every alternative
first, but we provide the procedure because the BIGGEST heartbreak to
the animal world is having pets turned loose and made homeless because
of destructive behaviors.

HHS employees have appeared on numerous local television news broadcasts
to educate Houstonians about the realities of cat scratching and why it
is a necessity. In fact, just two weeks ago we did a segment on KPRC
Local 2 about why cats scratch (exercise, shedding the dead skin cells,
stretching, etc.), and that segment taught people about humane
alternatives to "retrain" your cat if he or she is exhibiting
destructive scratching behavior. We also tell people about Soft Paws.
We give verbal advice and written materials to any clients and potential
adopters with questions about the realities of declawing.

Every single one of us here at the HHS appreciates your willingness to
teach people about the grisly realities of declawing, and I hope that
you educate the people in your life about alternatives to declawing. We
would be happy if no cat owner ever requested to declaw their cat rather
than give it up or turn it loose.

The Houston Humane Society

Old February 12th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

the BIGGEST heartbreak to
the animal world is having pets turned loose and made homeless because
of destructive behaviors.

They are wrong, and Persia is a prime example. It is an even bigger
heartbreak when they are first mutilated for perfectly normal behavior and
the abandoned because it creates more behavior problems instead of
eliminating them. Only now they are homeless and can't defend or feed
themselves.

Jo

Old February 12th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. net...
....It is an even bigger heartbreak when they are first mutilated for
perfectly normal behavior and then abandoned because it creates more
behavior problems instead of eliminating them. Only now they are homeless
and can't defend or feed themselves.
Jo

Well said, Jo.

I hope you or Jill will reply to the Houston Humane Society as a response to
the message they sent Jill.

I haven't seen the show in quite a while, but I think the Houston Humane
Society is one of the organizations featured on Animal Planet. I think the
show is Animal Rescue or something like that. I can't remember for sure.

Annie

Old February 12th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
[...]

OMG disgusting! People don't abandon their cats because they claw the
furniture. They abandon cats because they don't want to put time and effort
into the cat, and this extends to everything. PYou've got our support on
this.