rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood

Old August 13th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Default rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 12, 8:11 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Lesley wrote:
On 12 Aug, 08:35, "Matthew" wrote:
You all got me to go in the kitchen this morning
Made golden hominy,

Okay what's golden hominy? I've vaguely heard of hominy and grits is
it? Grits being some parts of a chicken I gather that I wouldn't eat?

Um, no. Grits are made from corn and so is hominy, but hominy isn't
grits,
although some people call grits "hominy grits". It's sort of a
misnomer.

http://www.grits.com/

Jill

OK, I know hominy is kernels of dried of corn that have been soaked in an
alkali solution of some kind to remove the outer hull.

It is used more in Mexico and Central America than in the United States
and
is also called pozole. It can be served a a side dish, or used in stews.

Once the hulls have been removed, the hominy can then be dried again and
ground coarsely to make hominy grits. (Think polenta) Or they can be
ground more finely to make mesa flour. That is used to make tamales and
corn tortilla's. Since the hulls nave been removed, hominy and hominy
grits
and mesa flour are more digestible than corn or polenta or corn meal
mush.

Jo-

Right. Hominy grits is...grits made from hominy, or corn that's been
processed the way you described.
"Grits" can also be made from unprocessed dried corn, which is
different from hominy grits, but still "grits".
I've never tasted hominy, except for commercially canned hominy, and
never had grits except in restaurants.
Matthew needs to teach me how to make it, just so I can say I've done
it.
I like both, but grits only with sugar as a breakfast thing. The name
is just so off-putting. I never would try it
as a kid because it sounded, and even looked a little, like the stuff
we used to throw on the bottom
of the parakeet's cage to aid digestion.

Sherry

Teach you what how to make hominy or grits or pozole ?

Old August 13th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 12, 8:55 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message
Sherry

Teach you what how to make hominy or grits or pozole

Grits. LOL. I think making hominy is beyond my level of dedication.

Sherry

Old August 13th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

ups.com...
"Sherry" wrote in message
Sherry

Teach you what how to make hominy or grits or pozole

Grits. LOL. I think making hominy is beyond my level of dedication.

Sherry

Mine too last time I made it from scratch was 20 years ago. It is easy to
do but time consuming

I hate to say this grits are the easiest thing to make. Msot people use
intant grits takes about 5 minutes. Being here in the south I can go places
and get fresh stone grounded grits which are the best same with the
cornmeal.

Making grits is this easy
Instructions
Difficulty: Easy
Things You'll Need
1/4 tsp. salt
butter or margarine or milk, for serving
saucepans
2 c. cold water
1/2 c. quick-cooking grits
Steps
1
Step One
Bring water and salt to a boil in a saucepan.
2
Step Two
Slowly add grits, stirring constantly.
3
Step Three
Cook and stir until mixture returns to a boil.
4
Step Four
Reduce heat and cook, stirring, 5 to 6 more minutes, or until water is
absorbed and mixture is thick.
5
Step Five
Serve, if desired, with margarine, butter or milk.
You can add ham, sausage to them with ease

But here is a southern comfort food called shrimp and cheese grits
2 cups water
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
3/4 cup half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup regular grits (I used quick grits and they were fine)
3/4 cup shredded kraft cheddar cheese ( don't use cheap cheese the oil casue
a problem)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese ( fresh is the best)
2 tablespoons butter ( I add a little kick to it by using honey butter)
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 slices bacon ( real bacon no fake stuff) make sure it has a good fat on it
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined ( I use Florida rock shrimp; taste
like lobster)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Another1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup flour ( I use stone ground flour fresh from the mill is the best)
1 cup sliced mushrooms ( canned is fine but drain real well ) portobello or
****akee is fine
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Another1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
lemon wedges( about 5 lemons cuts up)

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in
grits; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until
thickened; add cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients; set aside but keep
warm.

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper
towels, reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and set
aside. ( now you see why you need the fat on it)

Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.

Saute mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes, or until tender; add
green onions and saute 2 minutes; add shrimp and garlic and saute 2 minutes
or until shrimp are lightly brown; stir in chicken broth, lemon juice and
hot sauce and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from
skillet.

Divide grits into 4 large, shallow soup bowls; divide shrimp mixture into
four servings and place on top of grits; top each serving with crumbled
bacon and serve with lemon wedges.

I use a little extra cheese at the end add a little more on top while it is
still hot allow it to melt

Now this is comfort food. It is from a popular recipe but a few extras on
my taste added

Old August 13th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Also Paula Dean does a great recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

ups.com...

Old August 13th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 12, 9:27 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Mine too last time I made it from scratch was 20 years ago. It is easy to
do but time consuming

I hate to say this grits are the easiest thing to make. Msot people use
intant grits takes about 5 minutes. Being here in the south I can go places
and get fresh stone grounded grits which are the best same with the
cornmeal.

snipped for brevity

Ooookay. I didn't know you could buy quick-cooking grits. Probably
near
the oatmeal and malt-o-meal in the store? I can do that.
I had visions of beginning with dried corn, crushing it up, etc. etc.
Ha! Okay, I'm an idiot.

Sherry

Old August 13th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 12, 9:27 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Mine too last time I made it from scratch was 20 years ago. It is easy
do but time consuming

I hate to say this grits are the easiest thing to make. Msot people use
intant grits takes about 5 minutes. Being here in the south I can go
places
and get fresh stone grounded grits which are the best same with the
cornmeal.

snipped for brevity

Ooookay. I didn't know you could buy quick-cooking grits. Probably
near
the oatmeal and malt-o-meal in the store? I can do that.
I had visions of beginning with dried corn, crushing it up, etc. etc.
Ha! Okay, I'm an idiot.

Sherry

Same place in the store as oatmeal and cream of wheat, etc. In parts of the
country you can even get instant in the pouches like instant oatmeal. Quick
cooking usually come in a box like cream of wheat or a round box like
regular oatmeal.

I wish I had access to real, not quick cooking grits, but the trade off is
we can get really nice polenta here.

I still can't get over that polenta is considered "classy". We ate corn
meal mush after school of cold winter afternoons. A comfort food from my
mom's childhood. Most polenta recipes work with grits and vice versa.

We also ate fried green tomatoes. I was grown before I realized that
cooking a green tomato is almost identical to cooking an eggplant. Again
the same recipes work for both.

Now if I could just find a place that made decent buckwheat pancakes.

Jo

Old August 13th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

"jofirey" wrote in message

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Fried green tomatoes another southern weird food always had a bit to
bitter taste for me. But I am the type that likes deep fried pickles

I miss living in Kentucky right down the road there was a mill could get
fresh ground flour, corn meal etc daily if you needed it. Also miss the
farm fresh milk, fresh churned butter delivered to your door. I think I
miss the honey and honey combs from our bees the most

Old August 13th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 12, 11:24 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Ooo! I love buckwheat pancakes. I buy the "box mix" and make them
often. So
much better than regular pancakes.

Sherry