Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Old August 26th 09, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default The "holiday season"

Marina wrote:

And I celebrate Yule (jul in Swedish and joulu in Finnish). Yule has
been celebrated here in the north since the dawn of time (heh, it's a
solstice feast), eons before Christianity reached us.

I'll bet it has! Probably a collective festival of *relief*.

It's very true that cultures all over the world have some sort of
festival involving lights during their winter.

--
I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old August 26th 09, 11:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:
Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
It really annoys me.

You're missing the point. You can send x-mas cards if you want.
Someone else can send winter solstice cards if they want. Another
one can send holiday cards if they want.
We use the expression "holiday cards" to be inclusive of those of us
who do not send x-mas cards for whatever reason we may have.

And I celebrate Yule (jul in Swedish and joulu in Finnish). Yule has
been celebrated here in the north since the dawn of time (heh, it's a
solstice feast), eons before Christianity reached us.

A feast that was hijacked by the Christians, along with others, centuries
ago. I really don't mind what people celebrate, or why, but I hate to be
*told* what I should be celebrating.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 26th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Adrian wrote:
ago. I really don't mind what people celebrate, or why, but I hate to be
*told* what I should be celebrating.

Amen!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 26th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Holiday Cards (Felinitations)

Adrian wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
Not "holiday cards" what's that supposed to mean?

It means that not everybody in the group is a christian or
celebrates x-mas.

Yes, I realised that already.
But the fact remains that if you send out cards in December they are
Christmas cards, whether or not you celebrate Christmas, that's what
they are.

Absolute nonsense, if you don't believe in the existance of Christ
how can they be Christmas cards?

So why send cards out at that time ? Ignore it then.
Also, please do not say that my views are "absolute nonsense." You can
disagree with me, that's fine, I have no problem with that but to say what I
think is "absolute nonsense" I find quite insulting.
I have been trained in political correctness ad nauseum through my job.
I refuse to give up Christmas or referring to it like it was a bad word.

Tweed

Old August 26th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
ictor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I found your post insulting, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, if you don't
want your beliefs chalanged then don't post them online. People have the
right to send cards for whatever reason they like.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 26th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I have been trained in political correctness ad nauseum through my job.
I refuse to give up Christmas or referring to it like it was a bad word.

And this is one case where political correctness actually backfires
and has the opposite effect from what was intended. Instead of helping
non-Christians to feel included, it just subsumes everyone into this
thing that looks and acts like Christmas, we're just not calling it that.

Joyce

--
If an animal does something, they call it instinct. If we do exactly
the same thing for the same reason, they call it intelligence.
Old August 26th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Marina wrote:
Victor Martinez wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
It really annoys me.

You're missing the point. You can send x-mas cards if you want.
Someone else can send winter solstice cards if they want. Another
one can send holiday cards if they want.
We use the expression "holiday cards" to be inclusive of those of us
who do not send x-mas cards for whatever reason we may have.

And I celebrate Yule (jul in Swedish and joulu in Finnish). Yule has
been celebrated here in the north since the dawn of time (heh, it's a
solstice feast), eons before Christianity reached us.

A feast that was hijacked by the Christians, along with others, centuries
ago. I really don't mind what people celebrate, or why, but I hate to be
*told* what I should be celebrating.

Thank you. Like Marina, I celebrate Yule. It is a way of going back to my
German/Scandinavian roots.

Pam S.

Old August 26th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

if you don't believe in the existance of Christ
how can they be Christmas cards?

So why send cards out at that time ?

Because it's a good idea to have some sort of festivity at the darkest
and gloomiest time of year, and Christmas is handily designed to do
the job.

I spent two successive Christmases in Istanbul. There wasn't a lot
of Christian imagery around, but there were quite a few Santas.
(Since St Nicholas was from a place that is now part of Turkey, they
could have tried to reclaim him as a national emblem, but I didn't
actually see any Santas with star and crescent logos on their red
outfits). And LOTS of roast chestnuts, which I can't see anybody of
any religion having a problem with.

One very odd thing about Christmas in Istanbul is that it's pretty
hard for the local Christians to squeeze in to midnight mass. The
churches are packed with Muslim (or secularized Muslim) rubberneckers
curious to see what a Christian church service is like.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old August 26th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Because it's a good idea to have some sort of festivity at the darkest
and gloomiest time of year

As a Scotsman you are well qualified to make that statement!

It's true that many cultures (especially those closest to the poles)
have a light-and-warmth festival of some sort during the dark part of
the year.

and Christmas is handily designed to do the job.

It's a popular one, can't argue with that. But as someone from a non-
Christian background, I find Christmas a bit obliterating. (Though I
wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't so *garish*. Some non-Christians
may complain about the religious symbols, but I'd rather hear about
Jesus than about iPhones.)

I spent two successive Christmases in Istanbul. There wasn't a lot
of Christian imagery around, but there were quite a few Santas.
(Since St Nicholas was from a place that is now part of Turkey, they
could have tried to reclaim him as a national emblem, but I didn't
actually see any Santas with star and crescent logos on their red
outfits).

I didn't know that about Santa. This is probably akin to hating kittens
and puppies in some people's minds, but actually, I detest Santa. The
I've said it. The American Santa is probably a far cry from the Turkish
St. Nick, though.

And LOTS of roast chestnuts, which I can't see anybody of
any religion having a problem with.

As long as they don't SING about it!

Joyce
--
Promise me you'll never wear pants that bind or tug or hurt, pants
that have an opinion about how much you've just eaten.
Old August 27th 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:

It's a popular one, can't argue with that. But as someone from a non-
Christian background, I find Christmas a bit obliterating. (Though I
wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't so *garish*. Some non-Christians
may complain about the religious symbols, but I'd rather hear about
Jesus than about iPhones.)

Well, I'm from a Christian background, and always found the 'compulsory
happiness' and 'spend! spend! spend!' aspects overwhelming and
depressing - 'obliterating' is a good term.

I dealt with it by eliminating just about all the excess and eventually
getting back to my roots. I pick and choose what events I want to
participate in and what customs I want to maintain. It helps a lot with
that feeling of obliteration! (Keeping out of malls and away from ads as
much as humanly possible really helps, too.)

I spent two successive Christmases in Istanbul. There wasn't a lot
of Christian imagery around, but there were quite a few Santas.
(Since St Nicholas was from a place that is now part of Turkey, they
could have tried to reclaim him as a national emblem, but I didn't
actually see any Santas with star and crescent logos on their red
outfits).

I didn't know that about Santa. This is probably akin to hating kittens
and puppies in some people's minds, but actually, I detest Santa. The
I've said it. The American Santa is probably a far cry from the Turkish
St. Nick, though.

I'm not at Santa fan, and any Santa ornaments etc were the first to go
during my simplification process. I don't have any particular problem
with him as a story for small children, but Santas for adults, at office
parties, and as a general, all-purpose symbol of the holiday - not for
me. Oh, if someone gives me a card with a Santa, I'm not going to turn
up my nose at it or the good wishes it represents, but I'm not going to
buy and give out cards with Santas on them myself, or wrap gifts in
Santa paper, or play 'secret Santa'...

And LOTS of roast chestnuts, which I can't see anybody of
any religion having a problem with.

As long as they don't SING about it!

I've never had roast chestnuts, and I've always wondered if they taste
as good as they sound.

From my rare ventures to stores during the height of the Christmas
season, I've gathered that modern Christmas music is not to my taste. I
have a couple of boxes of tapes and CDs that are to my taste, so I'm all
set!

--
Cheryl