Legal Cat Hunting

Old April 12th 05, 03:33 PM
Duke of URL

Default Legal Cat Hunting

Legal Cat Hunting
Madison, Wisconsin (AP)-- Feline lovers holding pictures of cats, clutching
stuffed animals and wearing whiskers faced-off against hundreds of hunters
at meetings around Wisconsin to voice their opinion on whether to legalize
cat hunting.
Residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats - including
any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat
without a collar - should be listed as an unprotected species. If listed as
so, the cats could be hunted.
The proposal was one of several dozen included in a spring vote on hunting
and fishing issues held by the Wisconsin Conservation Congress. The results,
only advisory, get forwarded to the state Natural Resources Board. Statewide
results were expected Tuesday.
La Crosse firefighter Mark Smith, 48, helped spearhead the cat-hunting
proposal. He wants Wisconsin to declare free-roaming wild cats an
unprotected species, just like skunks or gophers. Anyone with a small-game
license could shoot the cats at will. At least two other upper Midwestern
states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot - and have
for decades. Minnesota defines a wild, or feral, cat as one with no collar
that does not show friendly behavior, said Kevin Kyle with that state's
Department of Natural Resources.
Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47
million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the
astounding numbers, Smith's plan has been met with fierce opposition from
cat lovers. Critics of Smith's idea organized Wisconsin Cat-Action Team and
developed a Web site -
www.dontshootthecat.com
Some argue it is better to trap wild cats, spay or neuter them, before
releasing them.
In Madison, about 1,200 people attended the Monday evening meeting at the
Alliant Center - more than the 250 or so in a typical year, but less than
the 3,000 or so who took part in a debate in 2000 over whether to allow
hunters to shoot mourning doves.
One of the attendees was Katy Francis, who wore cat ears, whiskers, a cat
nose and a sign that read, "Too Cute to Kill." For Francis, "The cat hunting
thing brought me out because it was very extreme."
--

Cliologist, Philanthropologist, Prothonotary Wibbler, Paleoconservative,
Surface Warrior Squid

Old April 13th 05, 09:50 AM
BC

Duke of URL wrote:
[...]

I saw this on my childrens news programme here in England. Is the area
really as over populated with cats as they make out? Isn't there any
animal that actually hunts these cats naturally? Just interested.

--
Badger Badger Badger
Old April 13th 05, 02:29 PM
Mischief

THis has got to to be the stupidest, cruelest thing i've ever heard of.
How can people justify killing feral cats?

Litter box offerings to those people

Kristi

Old April 13th 05, 04:47 PM
Duke of URL

BC wrote:
Duke of URL wrote:

[...]

All I know about it is what's been reported. Apparently, the area really
does have a serious problem with feral cats.
As far as natural predators, hell, YES! Foxes, dogs, you name it.

Old April 13th 05, 05:55 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Duke of URL wrote:
BC wrote:
Duke of URL wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, the REAL predator of these feral cats, the WOLF, is no longer
in the area. Seems that they were hunted out of existance there a while
back becuase they posed a threat to livestock & humans (as well as the
human's pet dogs and *cats*).

Now if they would only re-introduce the wolf back into that area...

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old April 13th 05, 07:07 PM
Marcia

"Mischief" wrote in message roups.com...
THis has got to to be the stupidest, cruelest thing i've ever heard of.
How can people justify killing feral cats?

Litter box offerings to those people

Kristi

I know it's a "much" smaller place, but in parts of the Canary
Islands, they have such a good scheme, run by ex-pat Brits. They
provide feeding stations for the feral cats. When they go to eat, they
nab them, neuter them and clip their ears (sounds cruel that part but
I don't know if it hurts them or not), so that they can tell which
ones they've done, then release them back. They use the feeding
stations, thus not begging for scraps for tourists. The tourists know
where they can go to see them, leave donations of food or money, and
everyone's happy, including the locals who see them as a pest
especially at the restaurants. I've seen them kicking them and
allegedly the local police used to round them up and use them as
target practice (bxxtards!).

The last time I went there a cat wanted to play with me, instead of
begging for food, which was lovely (apart from the one that decided it
would be a good idea to pee inside my shoes when I wasn't looking). I
had put my shoes out to dry after having been in the sea wearing them
and couldn't work out why they weren't drying, nice!

They are starting to control the population and the remaining cats are
in much better condition.

Rant over
Old April 13th 05, 09:42 PM
jmcquown

Marcia wrote:
"Mischief" wrote in message
roups.com...
THis has got to to be the stupidest, cruelest thing i've ever heard
of. How can people justify killing feral cats?

Litter box offerings to those people

Kristi

I know it's a "much" smaller place, but in parts of the Canary
Islands, they have such a good scheme, run by ex-pat Brits. They
provide feeding stations for the feral cats. When they go to eat, they
nab them, neuter them and clip their ears (sounds cruel that part but
I don't know if it hurts them or not), so that they can tell which
ones they've done, then release them back.

Might make more sense to "tag" them on the ear. But this sounds like a good
idea.

Personally, I think that fireman dude just wants a legal excuse to shoot
cats.

Jill