Casey on my laptop

Old December 10th 03, 02:15 PM
Carrie-Lou Salter

Default Casey on my laptop

So, I am living with my parents right now, in a trailer across the driveway
from the house....

Casey (my 9 1/2 month old mackerel tabby furbaby) spends the day in the
house with Mom when I am at work, and then spends the nights with me in the
trailer...

I have a laptop, on a table beside my bed, and Casey has gotten into a habit
of sitting on it....usually at 4am in the morning, so it beeps really loud
and wakes me up...(he's lucky I love him so much or it would really **** me
off)

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts of how to break him of this habit, as a
lot of the time I want to keep my laptop open so I can download stuff
(closed it last night so I could get some sleep).....

A sharp NO isn't working, he just looks at me funny... works to get him to
stop doing other stuff...but not this one...

Obvoisly a water bottle isn't going to be an option, because of the said
laptop...

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Carrie

Old December 10th 03, 03:57 PM
MC

Carrie,

Sounds like he's getting on the laptop at 4am because it's warm. My laptop
solution would be to look into the power management scheme (Mac? Win?) to
see if it can run closed, then he could sit on top of it if he wants.

My cat based solution would be to hide the laptop in a drawer. If you hide
the laptop, this might mean you find him piled on your neck at 4am, which is
likely less annoying than the beeping.

Marla

Old December 10th 03, 04:08 PM
Carrie-Lou Salter

"MC" wrote in message
.. .
Carrie,

Sounds like he's getting on the laptop at 4am because it's warm. My

laptop
solution would be to look into the power management scheme (Mac? Win?) to
see if it can run closed, then he could sit on top of it if he wants.

My cat based solution would be to hide the laptop in a drawer. If you

hide
the laptop, this might mean you find him piled on your neck at 4am, which

is
likely less annoying than the beeping.

Marla

Hi Marla, Thanks for your reply...

I already looked into the power management options, there's a way to set in
XP (which is what I'm running), but, the laptop is a Toshiba, and they have
their own proprietary power management and there's no way to make it not
hibernate in there, and it won't let me get into the XP options, it just
points me to the proprietary stuff...

Old December 10th 03, 05:24 PM
Karen

If you are downloading, put a box upside down over it or something or
enclose it somewhere.

Karen

Old December 10th 03, 07:07 PM
Joe Canuck

Carrie-Lou Salter wrote:

[...]

1) Keep laptop closed.

2) Place laptop in out of reach area.

3) Leave laptop open but place an empty cardboard box over it of an
appropriate size.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old December 10th 03, 09:44 PM

Joe Canuck wrote:

1) Keep laptop closed.

Many laptops go into hibernate mode when the lid is closed and I
believe the PO said the laptop is downloading overnight.

-mhd