Feces sticking to cat's behind

Old December 10th 03, 09:32 PM
Robert Bowen

Default Feces sticking to cat's behind

Hello all. I have seen a couple messages on the subject but no one
seems to have given an answer. I have a black cat, rather chubby, not
a long hair. Now ... the fact that he is quite roly-poley might have
something to do with his problem, but I am not sure.

He always has at least one piece of feces dangling off of his behind,
usually a little ways down from his anus. We took him to the vets,
they said he shouldn't have a problem, that his behind isn't hairy or
anything.

And yet he always has a dirty behind. Honestly, looking at his behind
(it's not a pretty picture, by the way) he doesn't seem to have much
hair. And if the vet said that isn't a problem, what could it be?

Could it be he simply can't reach around to clean himself? I mean ...
why is it sticking to him in the first place, that's my question.

Any help on this matter is MUCH appreciated. Giving him a new name
(Major Dangles) has at least allowed us to chuckle at the problem, but
the fact is it's rather disgusting, both for him and us.

Many thanks,
Robert
Old December 10th 03, 10:36 PM
Yngver

Could it be he simply can't reach around to clean himself? I mean ...
why is it sticking to him in the first place, that's my question.

It's possible that due to his weight problem, he can't position himself well
enough in the litter box to avoid what my husband calls "klingons."

I'm sure it's unpleasant for him. If you can, get him to lose weight and in the
mean time you'll have to help him remove the "dangles" when they occur. Maybe a
different kind of litterbox--more spacious, or perhaps less or more depth of
litter--will help too.

Old December 10th 03, 10:45 PM
Cosmo

"Robert Bowen" wrote in message
om...
He always has at least one piece of feces dangling off of his behind,
usually a little ways down from his anus. We took him to the vets,
they said he shouldn't have a problem, that his behind isn't hairy or
anything.

He may sit back down into it when he goes to turn around in the box to cover
it up. Perhaps you should try to see how he actiualy goes about it.

Old December 11th 03, 12:14 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Robert Bowen" wrote in message
om...
snip

Could it be he simply can't reach around to clean himself? I mean ...
why is it sticking to him in the first place, that's my question.

Any help on this matter is MUCH appreciated. Giving him a new name
(Major Dangles) has at least allowed us to chuckle at the problem, but
the fact is it's rather disgusting, both for him and us.

Many thanks,
Robert

As others have already said, the dingleberry is likely because he can't
reach around to clean himself. If you ever watch him clean himself, you can
see if his tummy is getting in the way of cleaning in his bum area.

The best thing to do would be to put him on a diet so he'll slim down and be
able to clean himself. Rather than feed him diet cat food, I would suggest
giving him slightly less of the same food than you give him now. For
example, if you normally feed him 1 cup of dry food, feed him about 3/4 or
7/8 cup. Weight loss will be slow, but I think safer this way.

If the dingleberries are really bothering you, take him to the groomers and
have part of his butt area shaved. My vet has done it for my cat for free
(she's a bit pudgy, too!) and it really helped with poopy butt syndrome.

rona