Ping Mary in LA

Old December 2nd 03, 07:35 AM
LOL

Default Ping Mary in LA

I was watching the squirrels outside my office today and could hear
them making a noise I'd never heard before. It wasn't the usual
bark/chatter they make at me whenever I am out in the yard, picking up
"their" pecans; it was more of a throaty cooing noise they were making
at each other. It was cool, and it made me wonder how many
vocalizations are in their usual repertoire? (sp?)

Also, I saw a squirrel jump from one tree to another and *miss* - he
fell a looong way but seemed to be fine, as he leaped up and scurried
right back up the tree. I'd never seen that before either.

It was just a fascinating squirrel day, and I wanted to share. :-D

------
Krista
Who had a less than ideally productive day at work today
Old December 2nd 03, 01:48 PM
Sherry

I was watching the squirrels outside my office today and could hear
them making a noise I'd never heard before. It wasn't the usual
bark/chatter they make at me whenever I am out in the yard, picking up
"their" pecans; it was more of a throaty cooing noise they were making
at each other. It was cool, and it made me wonder how many
vocalizations are in their usual repertoire? (sp?)

I have another squirrel story for Mary. I was driving down a street, and a
squirrel was in the middle, sitting up on its haunches. I slowed down, he
didn't move. I completely stopped, he didn't move. I honked the horn and he
didn't even look at me. I finally went to get out, to shoo him, thinking how
*weird* this was, and he finally scurried out of the way. A deaf squirrel
maybe?
Sherry
Old December 2nd 03, 05:54 PM
Mary

it was more of a throaty cooing noise they were making
at each other. It was cool, and it made me wonder how many
vocalizations are in their usual repertoire? (sp?)

Squirrels make a lot of sound to communicate. The purr like a cat when you pet
them. They grunt like a pig when they want to eat. They bark like a dog to try
and scare others away. Some learn that barking attracts humans so they'll bark
for treats also. They make clicking sounds with their teeth if you're close and
they're telling you to stay away. They cluck like a chicken when they're cranky
or just want you away from them. They make a chuck chuck sound if they are
fussing. The cooing sound is just them talking to each other in a polite less
threatening way. Ground squirrels have a completely different language.

Also, I saw a squirrel jump from one tree to another and *miss* - he
fell a looong way but seemed to be fine, as he leaped up and scurried
right back up the tree. I'd never seen that before either.

Squirrels do fall. That's generally how I get my head injury and paralyzed
squirrels. Generally though they are quite coordinated and acrobatic. They sure
are fun to watch :-D
Old December 2nd 03, 05:56 PM
Mary

I have another squirrel story for Mary. I was driving down a street, and a
squirrel was in the middle, sitting up on its haunches. I slowed down, he
didn't move. I completely stopped, he didn't move. I honked the horn and he
didn't even look at me. I finally went to get out, to shoo him, thinking how
*weird* this was, and he finally scurried out of the way. A deaf squirrel
maybe?
Sherry

Sometimes squirrels do that. They believe cars are giant predators. They will
try to fake them out by running one way, stopping, running the other way,
stopping. Of course this doesn't work with cars who always come at them in a
straight line. They will just sit in the road waiting to run another direction
when the car finally approaches. Not a good move.

PING: Yoj JBHajos Cat anecdotes 1 November 29th 03 06:47 PM
Ping: Alan Erskine Stacey Cat anecdotes 3 November 26th 03 12:11 AM
PING Weebles Meowmie Gizela Cat anecdotes 4 October 30th 03 04:44 AM
Ping: Yowie Stacey Cat anecdotes 48 August 18th 03 11:47 PM