Where's the fire?

Old November 17th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Where's the fire?

Miranda was meatloafing on the desk, under the desk lamp, squished in
beside my laptop. This is her tanning salon (in case you missed the
pictures, there are 3 pics starting he
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20851...8511339RplEOj).

I had set up my laptop from work beside my own laptop, because I had to
check some things on it (Microsoft has its own language, and I needed to
check what they call different things in Swedish, and I have a Swedish
OS on my work laptop). Suddenly I thought I could smell something
burning. I thought something was happening with one of the laptops, and
I turned them off and turned them over and checked them all over.
Nothing. In the brahoo, Miranda was disturbed and left the desk.

The next day, I set up the two laptops the same way. Miranda was
meatloafing beside me on the desk again. I was working away, when I
smelled that smell again. Something burning. I was sure it wasn't coming
from the computers. I looked around - TV wasn't turned on, I hadn't
forgotten to turn off the stove... Then I realized Miranda was laying
under that desk lamp again. I felt her. I could barely touch her, she
was so hot. I lifted her up and smelled her fur - definitely a smell of
burning. OMG! It was coming from Miranda!

Well, she wasn't on fire, but I can't believe she stayed under that lamp
until she was so hot that she smelled like burnt fur. Now I try to shift
her away from the lamp every time she starts meatloafing there. But she
loves her tanning salon, and doesn't want to budge.

Old November 17th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tension_on_the_wire

Marina wrote:
[...]

That's scary. I remember Luthien lighting her whiskers up
and instantly melting them in a candle flame, when she was
a kitten. She had no eyebrows for a few months after that.

What about putting five or six books under the lamp so that
it is a bit higher and not so close to Miranda's back? Small
distance will make big effect on heat intensity.

--tension

Old November 17th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Marina wrote:
[...]

Figaro, the cat I grew up with, used to put her head under the electric
heater so it was close to the elements. More than once she singed the back
of her head, the scorch marks could last for weeks. I don't think it did a
lot of harm, she lived to be 21.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14196...75823146KIHJrK
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old November 17th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Figaro, the cat I grew up with, used to put her head under the electric
heater so it was close to the elements. More than once she singed the
back of her head, the scorch marks could last for weeks.

Ishmael still had crispy tips to his whiskers when he died, from trying
to eat fish scraps off a hot grill pan. His son Mingus almost never had
a full set of whiskers for the same reason - he also liked sharing the
ironing board with a hot iron, which took almost all the whiskers off
one side once.

I don't think it did a lot of harm, she lived to be 21.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14196...75823146KIHJrK

Obviously a highly evolved cat practicing her photosynthesis.

Old November 17th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
Well, she wasn't on fire, but I can't believe she stayed under that lamp
until she was so hot that she smelled like burnt fur. Now I try to shift

If Basho had his way, he would sit *inside* the chimney, right next to
the fire.

her away from the lamp every time she starts meatloafing there. But she
loves her tanning salon, and doesn't want to budge.

Perhaps it's time to go find a fluorescent bulb for that lamp? Those
don't get quite as hot as incandescent, and they save $$$ in the long run.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 17th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:
Marina wrote:
Well, she wasn't on fire, but I can't believe she stayed under that
lamp until she was so hot that she smelled like burnt fur. Now I try
to shift

If Basho had his way, he would sit *inside* the chimney, right next to
the fire.

LOL!

her away from the lamp every time she starts meatloafing there. But
she loves her tanning salon, and doesn't want to budge.

Perhaps it's time to go find a fluorescent bulb for that lamp? Those
don't get quite as hot as incandescent, and they save $$$ in the long run.

I wish I could find a fluorescent bulb for it. I use fluorescents in my
other lamps, but this one has a special socket, and I haven't found a
fluorescent bulb to fit it.

Old November 17th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Adrian A wrote:

Figaro, the cat I grew up with, used to put her head under the electric
heater so it was close to the elements. More than once she singed the back
of her head, the scorch marks could last for weeks. I don't think it did a
lot of harm, she lived to be 21.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14196...75823146KIHJrK

Such a sweet-looking girl!

Old November 17th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:30:50 +0200, Marina
yodeled:

[...]

Wow! Miranda is truly smokin'. Cats are heat-seeking missiles.
Little Mimi used to make me nervous sitting on the radiator, and the
two boys love lamps. Stinky sticks his head up under the lampshade
and looks every bit the party animal.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 17th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

LOL, yes, makes you wonder what she's thinking. Maybe "Sweet! I've
found the ultimate sunbeam."

Sherry

Old November 17th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Victor Martinez wrote:
Marina wrote:
Well, she wasn't on fire, but I can't believe she stayed under that
lamp until she was so hot that she smelled like burnt fur. Now I try
to shift

If Basho had his way, he would sit *inside* the chimney, right next to
the fire.

her away from the lamp every time she starts meatloafing there. But
she loves her tanning salon, and doesn't want to budge.

Perhaps it's time to go find a fluorescent bulb for that lamp? Those
don't get quite as hot as incandescent, and they save $$$ in the long
run.

I think the new generation of LEDs are even better though they're only
recentley available.