Cat chew toy?

Old November 20th 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Cat chew toy?

I bought some treats for my dog that are basically chicken jerky. They
are leathery strips about an inch and a half wide and three or four
inches long. The dog loves them, but so, it seems, does my cat Motley.

She was nosing around the bag, eventually got it open, and was making
off with a whole strip when I caught her.

I've been carving off tiny bits for her and she loves them. My fear is
that I give her a piece that's too big and she chokes on it.

What if I gave her a whole piece like she wanted? It would be too big
and too tough to bite off pieces and would be basically a chew toy.
Old November 20th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 11/19/2012 8:20 PM, wrote:
I bought some treats for my dog that are basically chicken jerky. They
are leathery strips about an inch and a half wide and three or four
inches long. The dog loves them, but so, it seems, does my cat Motley.

She was nosing around the bag, eventually got it open, and was making
off with a whole strip when I caught her.

I've been carving off tiny bits for her and she loves them. My fear is
that I give her a piece that's too big and she chokes on it.

What if I gave her a whole piece like she wanted? It would be too big
and too tough to bite off pieces and would be basically a chew toy.

Please be careful with these things - there have been many reports of
pets dying because they were poisoned by these things! Most are made in
china now, and you know how well they like to use unsafe products...

Check the package and google the brand to see if it is one that there is
a warning about.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old November 20th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:26:03 -0500, Magic Mood Jeep
wrote:

Please be careful with these things - there have been many reports of
pets dying because they were poisoned by these things! Most are made in
china now, and you know how well they like to use unsafe products...

Check the package and google the brand to see if it is one that there is
a warning about.

It is. Crap. Well, the cat had only a miniscule amount and the dog
only a half dozen or so strips over a month or so. I tossed the rest.

Too bad, The critters loved them and they looked good enough for human
consumption.
Old November 20th 12, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

Please be careful with these things - there have been many reports of
pets dying because they were poisoned by these things!

PROVE it, with a link...

I just did a search on "pet food china recall" and got plenty,
including one for the specific brand I was using.
Old November 20th 12, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

wrote:

Please be careful with these things - there have been many reports of
pets dying because they were poisoned by these things!

PROVE it, with a link...

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Idiot!
--
Adrian
Old November 21st 12, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
On 11/19/2012 8:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

I once bought Boyfie some treats, found out they came from China and then
threw them in the bin.
I haven't forgotten what happened to those American kitties who got their
kidneys destroyed. We don't do Chinese products in this house if we know
that's where they're from.
I try not to buy anything from China as a protest. I don't suppose it
makes much difference what I do, but it makes me feel better. Every time I
reject a Chinese product I think "that's one for those cats that died from
that melamine contaminated food" And they did it deliberately to enhance
the protein content.
I would never trust them again.

Old November 21st 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I bought some treats for my dog that are basically chicken jerky. They
are leathery strips about an inch and a half wide and three or four
inches long. The dog loves them, but so, it seems, does my cat Motley.
What if I gave her a whole piece like she wanted? It would be too big
and too tough to bite off pieces and would be basically a chew toy.

Cats have enough sense not to eat things bigger than their head.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Please be careful with these things - there have been many reports of
pets dying because they were poisoned by these things!

Have there? Can you refer us to even one?

*Plastic* chew toys (or other toys a cat can chew on, like plastic
toy snakes) are often poisonous to cats. And some plastic chew toys
can kill dogs by mechanical damage:

http://www.benderplace.com/allcreatu...uct_alerts.htm

That isn't what the OP is talking about.

Most are made in china now,

I very much doubt it. China exports very little chicken to the West,
they eat it themselves. Thailand is a major supplier to the UK.

and you know how well they like to use unsafe products...

We know very well how some people have vindictive racist paranoias
about the Chinese. Cut it out.

Old November 21st 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 11/20/2012 9:32 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I bought some treats for my dog that are basically chicken jerky. They
are leathery strips about an inch and a half wide and three or four
inches long. The dog loves them, but so, it seems, does my cat Motley.
What if I gave her a whole piece like she wanted? It would be too big
and too tough to bite off pieces and would be basically a chew toy.

Cats have enough sense not to eat things bigger than their head.
I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about that - Whenever we buy pig ears (usually
dried/smoked) as a treat for the dogs, and the package is NOT closed or
put away properly, I will find one or two in the package that have kitty
teeth marks on them later. Most pig ears are fairly large, but the cats
seem to enjoy gnawing on them anyway. Also, I have seen cats catch
rabbits, and the rabbit is almost as big as the cat! Oh, lest we not
forget that lions are also feline and they will hunt down a water
buffalo, which is *much* bigger than it's own head... probably bigger
than the lion itself!

Please be careful with these things - there have been many reports of
pets dying because they were poisoned by these things!

Have there? Can you refer us to even one?

Here's a Google search for you in regards to the recall of the chicken
jerky dog treats

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...ient=firefox-a

You will notice that most of the articles are dated this year, and come
from sources more reliable than 'wikipedia"! I saw NBC (a news
broadcasting organization) and the FDA (Food and Drug Administration)
among the listings.

Several years ago, there were several pet food recalls as the food was
"tainted" with melamine (a plastic, usually found in powdered form, used
to make what we used to call Bakelite)... turns out that the
corn/wheat/rice gluten used in the food was processed in China and the
Chinese had found that melamine showed up as a protein, and so was
adding it to the gluten to boost the protein content of the
corn/wheat/rice gluten. Seems the Chinese didn't research what melamine
does to human/animal bodies when consumed (it causes kidney failure,
among other things). Thousands of pets were affected and hundreds died.
Not just in the US, but in Canada, Europe, and South Africa. You can
read more about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls

There are more links to be found here, if you do not trust Wikipedia

https://www.google.com/search?q=chin...ient=firefox-a

This includes a story dated February 7, 2008, from the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/bu...1.9826453.html

*Plastic* chew toys (or other toys a cat can chew on, like plastic
toy snakes) are often poisonous to cats. And some plastic chew toys
can kill dogs by mechanical damage:

http://www.benderplace.com/allcreatu...uct_alerts.htm

That isn't what the OP is talking about.

Most are made in china now,

I very much doubt it. China exports very little chicken to the West,
they eat it themselves. Thailand is a major supplier to the UK.

My meaning was that most of the *recalled* products are made in China,
not most products are made in China...

and you know how well they like to use unsafe products...

We know very well how some people have vindictive racist paranoias
about the Chinese. Cut it out.

I have no "racist paranoia" about Chinese people (how would I survive in
the college (which has a rather large Asian enrollment) town that I live
if I did?), but do not trust their business practices. Do you know why
US companies send their factories over there? Labor is cheap and
corruption is rampant, and there is little regard for safety (of workers
or consumers), ecology or animal "welfare."

In 2009, a (human) baby formula was offered for sale (in China only,
thankfully) that was linked to at least 6 infant deaths and over 300,000
infants sickened. Again, melamine was used to strengthen the protein
content of (extremely) watered down milk used to make the formula.

Here's a link to a story (from a UK newspaper) about the sentencing to
death of 2 of those involved in the production of this product:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...death-sentence

Also note that they have been known to purposefully mislabel products
for sale outside their country to "soothe" the "morals" or "ethics" of
those buying the products. Case in point of their labeling the fur used
in fur-trimmed jackets (also used in those ridiculous boots known as Ugg
boots) as "raccoon" when in fact there is an animal in Asia known as the
raccoon dog, which is in reality a canid species and not a procyonid
like the raccoons we in North America are familiar with. These poor
animals were being skinned alive by the Chinese.

https://www.google.com/search?q=racc...ient=firefox-a

I'm not going to do all the research for you, since by your reply, I can
see that you know how to type as well as I do.

But I will say that, due to all the "recalls" of products manufactured
in China, I will not buy anything that is for consumption (either human
or animal) that came from there. How do we know that what is being
labeled as chicken jerky is really chicken, and not cat, dog, or some
other animal? Since, as you say, China rarely exports chicken and keeps
it for their own consumption, so, what are they using instead? For all
we know it's tree bark!

I will also try my best to not buy pet toys that are produced in China
since a majority of pets use their mouths during play - who's to say
*what* was used in the production, that may be harmful (pesticides, dyes
or paints containing lead, etc., etc.). Several years ago I purchased
from an online source a box of 60 toy mousies for the clowder to play
with. There was a mix of black, white & grey colored ones in the box.
The box was labeled "Made in China"... I washed them all before giving
any of them to the critters - and I'm glad I did: the water turned black
from the dye used to dye the black ones! I kept washing them until the
water was clear. I did not want any of that black dye ingested
(accidentally during play) by the cats (or dogs, they like to play with
them too!), since it was pet product and the ingredients/sources of the
materials used in making them did not, by law at that time (and probably
still don't), have to be listed!

I have my reasons not to trust certain products from China - I'm sure
you have your reasons why you would or would NOT trust something from a
foreign source.

I have no qualms against purchasing say, a plastic molded laundry hamper
(or basket) that was manufactured in China (hard to purchase such a
thing here, because the two major manufacturers of such products in the
US (Sterlite & Rubbermaid) use US based factories), since any coloring
would be in the plastic itself and not painted onto it, is fairly benign
a product, is NOT going to be ingested by humans or pets (therefore
would not be toxic or poisonous), and will not start a fire in my home
by shorting out or overheating. In fact, the only danger that I can
imagine it might possibly pose would be if I were to drop it (on my own
foot or onto a pet) or trip over it - in which case the resulting damage
would be my own negligence or clumsiness, whichever that case may be.

Old November 21st 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message

We know very well how some people have vindictive racist paranoias
about the Chinese. Cut it out.

Oh, I invented it, did I, when so many American cats died through kidney
failure because (was it Iams food?) the Chinese put malamine in it to boost
the protein content and it killed those cats.
I have no vindictive racist paranoia. That happened and is well documented
and because of that nothing chinese will even touch my boy's lips if I can
help it.
I resent being called a racist just because I don't want my beloved boy's
kidneys to fail.

Tweed

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Old November 21st 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jack Campin" wrote in message

We know very well how some people have vindictive racist paranoias
about the Chinese. Cut it out.

Oh, I invented it, did I, when so many American cats died through kidney
failure because (was it Iams food?) the Chinese put malamine in it to
boost the protein content and it killed those cats.
I have no vindictive racist paranoia. That happened and is well
documented and because of that nothing chinese will even touch my boy's
lips if I can help it.
I resent being called a racist just because I don't want my beloved boy's
kidneys to fail.

Tweed

Sorry to add to my own but I remember Jack objecting when Helen's beloved
cat got shot by gypsies, he objected because she called them pikies as
racist
I tell you what, if anyone shot my cat I would feel entitled to call them
the worse name I could ever think of in the world. and I would get my
terrier men after them. They would find who did it.

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e .
u k