Dry Skin

Old May 10th 05, 10:13 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Dry Skin

Natasha is an 18 yo DSH kitty, and she always gets dry skin when she's
shedding heavily. It's especially bad this year, as it's been
unseasonally hot and humid already.

Years ago our d*g had a problem with dry skin and TED suggested adding
a small amount of vegetable oil (of the cooking oil variety) to his
dry food. That did seem to help his problem. Does anyone know if
something similar would work for Tasha? Or perhaps have another
suggestion?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old May 10th 05, 11:49 PM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Natasha is an 18 yo DSH kitty, and she always gets dry skin when she's
shedding heavily. It's especially bad this year, as it's been
unseasonally hot and humid already.

Years ago our d*g had a problem with dry skin and TED suggested adding
a small amount of vegetable oil (of the cooking oil variety) to his
dry food. That did seem to help his problem. Does anyone know if
something similar would work for Tasha? Or perhaps have another
suggestion?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

I have something called Derm Caps (liquid) that is a supplement to be added
to the food. It really helped when Persia had severe flaky skin a few years
ago. I think I ordered it from www.doctorsfostersmith.com

Jill

Old May 11th 05, 03:01 AM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Natasha is an 18 yo DSH kitty, and she always gets dry skin when

she's
shedding heavily. It's especially bad this year, as it's been
unseasonally hot and humid already.

Years ago our d*g had a problem with dry skin and TED suggested

adding
a small amount of vegetable oil (of the cooking oil variety) to his
dry food. That did seem to help his problem. Does anyone know if
something similar would work for Tasha? Or perhaps have another
suggestion?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

My Tuppence likes beaten raw egg yolk, and that seems to help her
"dandruff", Smokie's too.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old May 21st 05, 07:46 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:13:01 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

Natasha is an 18 yo DSH kitty, and she always gets dry skin when she's
shedding heavily. It's especially bad this year, as it's been
unseasonally hot and humid already.

Years ago our d*g had a problem with dry skin and TED suggested adding
a small amount of vegetable oil (of the cooking oil variety) to his
dry food. That did seem to help his problem. Does anyone know if
something similar would work for Tasha? Or perhaps have another
suggestion?

My local pet supply store (which is new, not a chain, and still
building its inventory) didn't carry fish oil capsules. I did purchase
a small bottle of a product called Lipiderm Advanced (feline).

Lipiderm advertises itself as being for "healthy skin and coat", and
as containing Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids and Vitamins A & E. The top two
ingredients are Water and Fish Oil. Dosage is by weight, so Natasha is
supposed to receive 1/2 teaspoon/day added to her food. They say you
should use this for a minimum of 30 days.

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Old May 22nd 05, 01:28 AM
CATherine

wrote:

[...]

I use something called Derm caps (from the vet; but you can also get
it from a pharmacy) that contains safflower oil, fish oil(omega 3
fatty acid), Vitamin E and borage seed oil with water and gelatin. It
is for my dog. She has skin allergies. These caps help the condition
of her skin from being so dry and itchy. But it puts the weight on
her. So her food is weight management to compensate.

--
CATherine
Old May 22nd 05, 02:07 AM
Seanette Blaylock

CATherine had some very
interesting things to say about Dry Skin:

I use something called Derm caps (from the vet; but you can also get
it from a pharmacy) that contains safflower oil, fish oil(omega 3
fatty acid), Vitamin E and borage seed oil with water and gelatin. It
is for my dog. She has skin allergies. These caps help the condition
of her skin from being so dry and itchy. But it puts the weight on
her. So her food is weight management to compensate.

Do they make this in a cat version? I think Felix could use this.

Old May 22nd 05, 08:28 PM
CATherine

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:07:10 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

CATherine had some very
interesting things to say about Dry Skin:

I use something called Derm caps (from the vet; but you can also get
it from a pharmacy) that contains safflower oil, fish oil(omega 3
fatty acid), Vitamin E and borage seed oil with water and gelatin. It
is for my dog. She has skin allergies. These caps help the condition
of her skin from being so dry and itchy. But it puts the weight on
her. So her food is weight management to compensate.

Do they make this in a cat version? I think Felix could use this.

The bottle I got from the vet says for small animals and has a picture
of a dog and a cat. So it should work the same. It didn't cost too
much, $6, I think. I sure hope it helps Felix.

--
CATherine

Skin [BW?][Long] Yowie Cat anecdotes 27 October 31st 04 09:38 PM
Kitty skin condition question rolf Cat health & behaviour 21 June 16th 04 07:31 AM
Shamrock's poor skin condition Cheryl Cat health & behaviour 30 December 30th 03 02:34 AM
New Adoptee--baggy skin in cats Mary Cat health & behaviour 60 December 3rd 03 10:00 PM
Oblong skin lesions in cat; skin condition or neighbor's tomcat? KA Turner Cat health & behaviour 9 November 9th 03 10:55 PM