Near Miss, Totally Scary

Old June 14th 04, 11:54 AM
badwilson

"Sherry " wrote in message
What part of the country are you in? I'm wanting to say Oklahoma but
I can't remember. Anyway I am out on disability (I'm a cop and got hurt
at work) and I build computers on the side. Not a business but for
family, friends, and myself. I have a lot of time on my hands now so I
am offering to build your son a computer at cost only. I know now a days
you can buy a new one for just a little more than you can build one but
some people like the idea of knowing what parts go into the computer.
I'm just North of Dallas, Texas. If it's not too far and your son is
interested, let me know.
I don't mind it one bit and again it would cost him only for the parts
that he wants.

Bob
--

Guys, read this post. Do you believe the generosity of this person?? This

is
such a wonderful group. Bob, check your e-mail, I just sent you a note.

Thanks
so much.

Totally! There are some really wonderful people on this NG. That's why I'm
still reading it after some 4 years.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

Old June 15th 04, 05:34 PM
Christopher Havlicek

Bob M wrote:
Sherry wrote:

Oh no, no insurance! That's too bad :-( But isn't it the electric
snip
Britta

I think here, it is their responsibility if the tree is on city property, in
snip

Sherry

Sherry,

What part of the country are you in? I'm wanting to say Oklahoma but
I can't remember. Anyway I am out on disability (I'm a cop and got hurt
at work) and I build computers on the side. Not a business but for
family, friends, and myself. I have a lot of time on my hands now so I
am offering to build your son a computer at cost only. I know now a days
you can buy a new one for just a little more than you can build one but
some people like the idea of knowing what parts go into the computer.
I'm just North of Dallas, Texas. If it's not too far and your son is
interested, let me know.
I don't mind it one bit and again it would cost him only for the parts
that he wants.

Bob

Pardon me for riding in on Bob's message, but I'll second the offer
if you're closer to northern Virginia than Texas. I have a couple of
slightly older (PIII 600-933) systems that I've been selling, but
I'd be happy to send one your way if it was closer. Not trying to steal
Bob's great offer, just adding on to it... I have some 15" monitors
as well... Not the top line stuff, but perhaps a standby until he can
get something he really likes...

Though Bob's offer sounds like he'll get more of the machine he'd
*want*, rather than a fill-in...

Hope your power problems get cleared up quickly! I need to put some of
those stickers on my front and back doors, since I have two upstairs
fur kids and one downstairs. Think I'll bite the bullet and get some
GFI breakers for the house, too.

I had fun a few years ago with flickering lights. Turned out it was
a cross threaded screw on one of the buss bars *in* the breaker box.
It had evidently been like that since the house was built, and over the
years, arcing had worn it loose. I was standing next to the box, and
heard buzzing and crackling... *Not* something you're supposed to hear
from your breaker box....

Hm...now I'm getting nervous... I feel like going home and checking
on the fur kids....

Purrs -

Chris

Old June 17th 04, 06:31 PM
Denise VanDyke

Sherry wrote:
We were just discussing signs for firemen here--I don't have one, but am going
to make one.
My son got home from work and found smoke boiling out of his TV and computer.
Every electrical appliance in the house, microwave, cable DSL modem, air
conditioner, alarm clock, Playstation, TV, computer, everything--was fried. It
seems a tree in the alley behind his house had grown into the electric cable,
and eventually rubbed it bare. The wind whipped something causing a massive
power surge to go through the house.
But the most frightening thing was, Bosley was inside. I think another 15
minutes and the house would have been in flames. One reassuring thing is, my
son said Bosley ran straight to him, very distressed and meowing. I was always
afraid cats would hide somewhere in case of fire and the firemen wouldn't be
able to find them.
Anyway, the point of me even telling this is, is I just wanted to share how an
absolute freak accident can happen. Even if you are always very careful, your
house can still catch on fire. We were so lucky.

Sherry

FYI - some electric companies are offering to install whole-house surge
protectors at a discounted rate. These devices are a similar concept as
the surge protectors you can buy to plug your computer into. However,
these attach at the electric meter and will help protect your electrical
system from the outside. They do suggest using additional surge
protector plugs for especially sensitive equipment like computers, but
these can save most equipment from destruction in a severe situation
like your son experienced. I know, my parents just had this installed
on the house I'm living in. I'm glad because we have many suicidal
squirrels around who love to chew the insulation off of the power lines,
lots of trees with limbs near lines, and at least our share of bad
drivers who seem to target power poles.

- Denise (manipulated by Brenna)

Old June 17th 04, 06:31 PM
Denise VanDyke

Sherry wrote:
[...]

I miss my group time :( TJ and The Dust Cat anecdotes 10 December 13th 04 09:01 PM
Scary night badwilson Cat anecdotes 18 June 2nd 04 03:42 AM
I miss Harvey's snuggles Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 5 October 11th 03 01:29 PM