The Skeeter roller coaster ride continues

Old September 10th 04, 08:23 AM
Yoj

Default The Skeeter roller coaster ride continues

It has been one week since Skeeter was diagnosed with CRF, so it was
back to the vet for a recheck.

Some of her levels were down slightly, but her white count was up, so
the doctor put her on a stronger antibiotic. Skeeter has not been
eating much at all, and has lost 1/4 pound in the past week. The vet
gave me an appetite stimulant for her.

I was supposed to give Skeeter an infusion of 150 ml three times a week.
It started out fairly easily, but about halfway through, she began to
struggle, so I decided it would be easier to give her 75 ml every day.

The doctor wanted to show me how to do the infusion, saying it would be
easier if I wrapped Skeeter in a towel. Skeeter really struggled, and
the doctor said, "She's really strong-willed, isn't she?" She still
thinks it would be easier for me to give 150 ml every other day, but it
took the two of us to hold her still long enough to get 200 ml into her
today. And that was with her assistant holding the bag high and
squeezing it. She had added vitamins to this infusion.

She said to come back in 10 days, and if Skeeter isn't any better by
then, it might be time. When I got home, I put the carrier/box on the
garage floor and opened it, after I opened the back door. Skeeter
jumped out, ran in the house and over to the crunchy food and started
eating!

She ate a little wet food later. I sat in my recliner to watch the
news, and she jumped in my lap and laid there, purring, for almost an
hour. I wouldn't have stayed there that long if she hadn't been in my
lap.

--
Joy
Owned and operated by Lindy and Skeeter

Old September 10th 04, 12:51 PM
Christine Burel

Joy,
The fluids really make a huge difference so kudos to you for doing it. I
know it bought years for 2 of my cats and although I don't know how bad
Skeeter is, if she's a fighter by nature, I can't see but that it would
improve her time here by a lot. How much does Skeeter weigh? Both Frodo and
Shetra weighed between 8-10 pounds and vet told me to give them 100 ml once
every day. So your instincts are good about doing it daily -- and having
done 150 ml before it is much easier to do 100 ml. Both my cats got used to
the routine, too. I would hang the bag of fluids on the shower rod as it
was so much higher than anywhere else we had and I'd always give them both
their favorite treat afterwards and really praise them. I'm trying to
remember the needle gauge size I used, too -- I know they were pink needles
and I'm thinking they were size 20. I believe a friend of mine uses this
source for her lactacted ringer supplies, lines, and needles and said they
were quite reasonably priced:
http://www.bricomedicalsupplies.com/
Hope this helps, Joy. If I can help in any way, you certainly have my moral
support, please let me know.
Christine

. com...

Old September 10th 04, 02:05 PM
CatNipped

"Yoj" wrote in message
. com...
It has been one week since Skeeter was diagnosed with CRF, so it was
back to the vet for a recheck.

Joy, we're still sending purrs that Skeeter will rally and you'll have a lot
more time with your precious little one.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 10th 04, 06:41 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:23:17 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

[...]

{{{Joy}}} So glad she ate and purred :-) That's a very good sign.

Continued purrs that Skeeter continues to do better!

Ginger-lyn