The Skeeter roller coaster ride continues

Old September 13th 04, 10:30 PM
Yoj

Thank you, Julie.

--
Joy

"You can never do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
You and Skeeter remain on our daily purrr list. We'll be thinking of

you.

Julie, Hobbes, Selena and Lacey

Yoj wrote:
It has been one week since Skeeter was diagnosed with CRF, so it was
back to the vet for a recheck.

Some of her levels were down slightly, but her white count was up,

so
the doctor put her on a stronger antibiotic. Skeeter has not been
eating much at all, and has lost 1/4 pound in the past week. The

vet
gave me an appetite stimulant for her.

I was supposed to give Skeeter an infusion of 150 ml three times a

week.
It started out fairly easily, but about halfway through, she began

struggle, so I decided it would be easier to give her 75 ml every

day.

The doctor wanted to show me how to do the infusion, saying it would

be
easier if I wrapped Skeeter in a towel. Skeeter really struggled,

and
the doctor said, "She's really strong-willed, isn't she?" She still
thinks it would be easier for me to give 150 ml every other day, but

it
took the two of us to hold her still long enough to get 200 ml into

her
today. And that was with her assistant holding the bag high and
squeezing it. She had added vitamins to this infusion.

She said to come back in 10 days, and if Skeeter isn't any better by
then, it might be time. When I got home, I put the carrier/box on

the
garage floor and opened it, after I opened the back door. Skeeter
jumped out, ran in the house and over to the crunchy food and

started
eating!

She ate a little wet food later. I sat in my recliner to watch the
news, and she jumped in my lap and laid there, purring, for almost

an
hour. I wouldn't have stayed there that long if she hadn't been in

my
lap.

--
Joy
Owned and operated by Lindy and Skeeter

Old September 14th 04, 01:19 AM
Christina Websell

"Yoj" wrote in message
om...
"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:52:14 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

Thanks, Helen. It's worth a try. She doesn't like most canned food.
For a few days the only way I could get her to eat was to try to rub

little canned food on the roof of her mouth. She fought so hard that
most of it went on the outside. She would then lick it off. I

decided
it would be easier on both of us if I just smeared it on her, but she
fought that too. Yesterday I thought I had the answer. I would put

few pellets of the dry food in front of her, and she would eat them.

did that several times during the way, and was pleased with the

result.
Then last night she threw it all up. :-(

I'm getting pretty discouraged.

Joy

{{{Joy}}}

At this point, it's "anything she'll eat". You'll have a lot of open
cans of partial cat food, but the most important thing right now is to
get her to eat. CRF kitties can have delicate stomachs, so vomiting
isn't uncommon. You can use Tagamet (I don't know the dose) or
something like that to help with the stomach sensitivity. And feed
her anything she shows the least interest in -- yogurt is a good idea,
baby food, sardines, tuna, any thing she has loved in the past. The
last thing my Geesha (CRF-RB) ate was her favorite, cantaloupe. Just
keep trying and doing your best.

Continued purrs.

Ginger-lyn

Thanks for the purrs and encouragement, Ginger-lyn. She is on something
that my daughter tells me is almost the same as Pepsid AC. Fortunately,
open cans aren't too much of a problem, because Lindy will usually eat
the left-overs. The big problem is that, in the past, Skeeter has shown
almost no interest in anything except dry food. I would always put out
two dishes of the canned food, so she could have some if she wanted.
Usually she would ignore it, sometimes she would "bury" it, and on rate
occasions she'd eat a bite or two. I can actually remember only two
kinds of wet food I've seen her eat, and I haven't been able to find one
of them. I'm doing a lot of experimenting, though. I've found that
usually if I put down three or four pieces of dry food, or a couple of
cat treats, in front of her, she'll eat them. If she doesn't want them
and Lindy is nearby, she will shift her position so she is lying on top
of the food or treats and Lindy can't get it. ;-)

Joy

I have nursed some beloved dogs with CRF. It can indeed, be demoralising
when you can't find anything to eat that they want.
My vet has a high calorie food in a sort of toothpaste tube. I rubbed, it,
like you did, on the roof of their mouth so they could lick it off.
But I realised in my heart, that my most beloved of all dogs had come to end
of her life aged 19.
She got thinner and thinner, but I continued to try and feed her. One day
when I was trying to feed her, she cried that she didn't want it anymore.
That's when I knew it was time. It was time for her. it wasn't time for me,
cos I loved her so much I wanted to keep her for ever.
I took her to the vet and let her go. It was one of the hardest decisions of
my life.
My whippet, Minnie. I'll never forget her. Born 1980 and went to the
bridge 1999.

Tweed

Old September 14th 04, 06:52 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:36:04 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

[...]

Oops, sorry, Joy, I missed that somehow. I have a cat like that --
the only thing he will touch other than dry food is (of all things)
ham! So when he's having a problem eating, I get out the ham :-)

Ginger-lyn