Euthanasia at home?

Old October 9th 03, 05:47 PM
A.J. Rivett

Default Euthanasia at home?

Has anybody here ever euthanized their own cat or know a good, quick,
humane method of doing so?

I have a 15 year old female cat in good shape and she's a fine friend
but I know that the clock is ticking when they get to this age. She
hates going to the vet and I would like her final exit to be a
pleasant one and of course I hope she has some good years left.

I had a previous cat euthanized at home but the vet gave her some kind
of sedative to chill her out before administering whatever it is they
give (KCl?). Unfortunately, old Spice (not Old Spice) didn't
appreciate the sedative and she kind of freaked out instead of chilled
out before finally getting whacked. I didn't think this was a very
nice way to peg out and I felt very bad for her.

They have "Final Exit" for humans. Is there an equivalent guide for
pets?
Old October 9th 03, 06:59 PM
Mary

I had a previous cat euthanized at home but the vet gave her some kind
of sedative to chill her out before administering whatever it is they
give (KCl?). Unfortunately, old Spice (not Old Spice) didn't
appreciate the sedative and she kind of freaked out instead of chilled
out before finally getting whacked. I didn't think this was a very
nice way to peg out and I felt very bad for her.

The vet gave her Valium. With some cats they get hyper with Valium. I tried to
do this with a squirrel to calm her before euthanization. Instead of getting
calm she wanted to dump around and play which just made things worse. (She had
a major head injury and was getting extremely deformed with a huge tumor on her
head, just so you don't think I'd euthanize a healthy animal. She would have
died after being in pain for a few days).

I would ask your vet to come to the house to administer the shot. Maybe they
can give her a tiny bit of anesthesia before giving her the shot. That might
work better than valium.

Old October 9th 03, 07:02 PM
Sherry

Has anybody here ever euthanized their own cat or know a good, quick,
humane method of doing so?

I have a 15 year old female cat in good shape and she's a fine friend
but I know that the clock is ticking when they get to this age. She
hates going to the vet and I would like her final exit to be a
pleasant one and of course I hope she has some good years left.

I had a previous cat euthanized at home but the vet gave her some kind
of sedative to chill her out before administering whatever it is they
give (KCl?). Unfortunately, old Spice (not Old Spice) didn't
appreciate the sedative and she kind of freaked out instead of chilled
out before finally getting whacked. I didn't think this was a very
nice way to peg out and I felt very bad for her.

They have "Final Exit" for humans. Is there an equivalent guide for
pets?

In a word, no. Even if you were skilled at administering injections, you
couldn't obtain the drugs because of legal issues.

Sherry

Old October 10th 03, 02:46 PM
MaryL

"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...
Has anybody here ever euthanized their own cat or know a good, quick,
humane method of doing so?

I had a previous cat euthanized at home but the vet gave her some kind
of sedative to chill her out before administering whatever it is they
give (KCl?). Unfortunately, old Spice (not Old Spice) didn't
appreciate the sedative and she kind of freaked out instead of chilled
out before finally getting whacked.

Please don't try to do this yourself. You would not have any way to take
appropriate action if something goes wrong, and you could not legally use
the drugs involved.

Some veterinarians will come to your home (as you have already described).
Talk to the vet first about your earlier experience and express your
concerns. I have never had a vet give my cats a tranquilizer. In each
case, I held my cat (my "last gift of love") and soothed him/her. The vet
administered a shot to anesthetize the spot (tiny needle) before
euthanizing. My cats were never afraid or in pain at this time, and they
died very quickly. The only suffering was my own.

I understand from your message that you are concerned about the welfare of
your cat during his last minutes. I understand and appreciate that -- but
what you are considering could lead to a much worse "exit" because you do
not have the training to deal with any problems you might encounter.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)