Update on "Wish Me Luck" (insurance license exam)

Old January 25th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Update on "Wish Me Luck" (insurance license exam)

I have a dual alarm clock. I thought I had both alarms set for yesterday
morning. I only had the 2nd one set. So when it went off, I thought it was
the first one and turned it off expecting the 2nd alarm to wake me 10
minutes later. Which of course it didn't because it *was* the second alarm.
I woke up at the time I should have been there to check in for the exam. Oh
crap.

So I called the toll-free number to reschedule. I'm not trying to make fun
of anyone's ethnicity, please don't think that. But the guy who answered
the phone sounded like he could have been trying to sell a pizza from Little
Italy on the Soprano's. "You calla backa tomorrow, eh? I donna hava da
crystal balla. I donna know iffa you tookada test or not. Dis computer
doesna tell me untilla tomorrow." (Okay, and I'd like extra cheese, please.
LOL) See, it's the law, if you fail the test you have to wait 30 days to
take it again.

Apparently their computers don't update until the end of the day. So I had
to wait until today to reschedule my exam. Anyway, I called back this
morning per his rather comical instructions (no crystal ball?!) to
reschedule. Except now the next exam that isn't full isn't until next
Wednesday, the 31st.

I had to explain this to my father, who, unfortunately, isn't "all there"
anymore. He accused me of just trying to get out of taking the exam. Now
why on earth would I sit on a rock hard chair in a classroom for 8 hours a
day for 4 days if I wasn't going to take the exam? So then he changed his
tune. Okay, here's what you do after you pass the test. You send emails
(Dad has never seen an email in his life, BTW) to [he listed some
companies]. Send them your updated resume. Tell them you don't want to
sell insurance. (Haven't I been saying that all along?) Tell them you want
an administrative position. You take control.

Uh huh, thanks, Dad, I'll remember that. That will force them to give me a
job, you betcha. (HUGE sigh) Dad only worked in the 'public sector' for 10
years; he was a career military man for 30 years prior. You don't get
"fired" from the military unless you do something really bad, so he doesn't
know much about how corporate America works. He still thinks you can go
door to door and ask to meet with someone in Personnel or Human Resources.
(Another HUGE sigh... doesn't work that way, Dad. He doesn't believe me.)

But I'm doing this exam stuff for him, whether he thinks so or not. Oh, and
he goes for another round of chemo-type treatment tomorrow for 4.5 hours.
Spare purrs for my dad would help, thanks. And purrs for my mom to have the
patience to deal with him, although she has always had the patience of a
saint.

Jill

Old January 25th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs for you dad, for your mom, and for you.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

Old January 25th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

snip Oh, and
he goes for another round of chemo-type treatment tomorrow for 4.5 hours.
Spare purrs for my dad would help, thanks. And purrs for my mom to have the
patience to deal with him, although she has always had the patience of a
saint.

Jill

Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for the chemo to work really well
for your father,
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 26th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dad only worked in the 'public sector' for 10
years; he was a career military man for 30 years prior. You don't get
"fired" from the military unless you do something really bad, so he doesn't
know much about how corporate America works.

I hate corporate Canada and wished it worked as logically as the
military. *growl*

Anyway...I'm going to be a disgruntled academic/maniac artist now.

Purrs for you and your father.

--Fil

Old January 26th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Purrs for your alarm clock (the next time), you, your Dad and your Mom.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 26th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

But I'm doing this exam stuff for him, whether he thinks so or not. Oh,
and
he goes for another round of chemo-type treatment tomorrow for 4.5 hours.
Spare purrs for my dad would help, thanks. And purrs for my mom to have
the
patience to deal with him, although she has always had the patience of a
saint.

Jill

Here's hoping everything goes well for you and your test on the 31st. And
that your Dad's treatment is successful for him. How wonderful to have a
patience wife and mother!
Charleen
Mr. Pumpkin
Aggie Marble